Best exhaust now, if I'm doing Pax later?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best exhaust now, if I\'m doing Pax later?

I have a 2003 SRT/10. At this point I'm pretty set on doing a Paxton, but it'll be after I sell one of my motorcycles to fund it in the spring. I want to do an exhaust as a winter project, mostly for sound, but hp isn't a bad thing. But I mostly want to choose the right "catback" for the Paxton too.

I had decided on the Belanger catback, which includes hi-flo cats, but want opinions from you guys in the know before I commit.

Thanks.

dave.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Best exhaust now, if I\'m doing Pax later?

The combination I went with was the bellanger headers, hi flow cats (I believe you want the metallic inners on those) and the 3" corsa's. My car has made 700rwhp so far with the paxton and the vec2 along with that exhaust, and as soon as I can find the weak link in my fuel system it should make 15 to 25rwhp more. And these are honest dyno #'s not overinflated like most dyno shops. Needless to say, I think this set-up definetly lets the paxton breath just fine. I have heard of others eliminating the cats alltogether, which should help the S/C more by decreasing backpressure.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put on the Mopar cat back exhaust with the stock Paxton kit and a few supporting pieces, with a custom tune the car did 710 to the wheels with the stock headers and stock cats. Anything you do to open up the exhaust will help make power on a FI car, but with the stock Paxton kit you'll run out of fuel with the stock fuel system before you can take advantage of it on the Viper. The Paxton kit is designed for a stock car, you'd have to upgrade the fuel system to get more power out of it safely with full exhaust mods.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paxton with Corsa track and Vortex cones is a great street package. Lots of HP and good sound.

With out the Vortex cones (which cost a couple hp) I got some irritating drone. With the cones the drone went away, and the sound was a bit mellower.

Adding headers gets much noisier, deleting cats is LOUD! Some issues with aftermarket cats failing with some miles on them.

Stock cats work pretty well with Paxton, but of course switching out to Random cats will breath even better.

Some reports of people that remove one cat can pass smog in the beginning, but after some miles it may fail the sniffer tests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang