best lube for trans and diff

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the trans, but for my diff and all of my other vehicle diffs I like to use amsoil. The viper calls for 75/140. I switched to Amsoil gear lube on all my vehicles after my company work trucks were having problems blowing the diffs prematurely. We switched to the amsoil gear lubes, and since then (almost 5 years now), we have never had a problem with our work trucks prematurely granding their diffs.
But lube is strictly a personal preference issue.
P.S. I haven't had to add the posi trac additive with the amsoil.
I have the amsoil gear lube in my highly modified vette, my 1 ton chev, my commander, and the 08 viper.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like amsoil too! Have used it for years in my Motorcycles and have seen temp drop about 7 to 15 degrees (hard to compair ambient temp changes and all) and now in my viper. I use 10-40 High proformance and I even take it to the dealer whenever they do the oil change for me. I think it is Good Stuff! Most important thing in oil is CHANGE it regular! It is the life blood of your engine!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just changed my rear with Mobil-1. I put in the limited slip additive just to be safe since the Mobil-1 web site wasn't clear on whether it's needed or not. They make some statement about only needing the additive for heavy duty use or something like that. A Viper is heavy duty right?

Perhaps it's my imagination but the car seems to **** and buck less now.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amsoil for everything here as well. Been using since 1976. I use oil analysis for all Viper stuff. Always comes back good to go further. Almost 90K Amsoil Viper Engine oil miles. 60K in the differential and transmission

Steve

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MOTUL just came out with a new transmission fluid called ATF which is amazing!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Had minor shifting issues with the trans this weekend at NARRA / Viper days at Buttonwillow in my 09 ACR. Shifting got a bit notchy when warm.

Changed to Motul Multi ATF - problems gone. It seems that the OE ATF has very little crush strength (not an engineer here, just did some reading) and may not do well at the track on a warm day with an aggressive driver.

The Motul Multi ATF has been run in Corvettes with the T 6060 trans for a while and has helped their durability on the track.

Contact John at Archer Racing for more info.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang