best tire pressure for SRT?

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the best tire pressure to use for a better ride.i hate these run flats because the ride so hard :confused: is there a best tire pressure????

thanks, Max

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know, I hate them to, except for the idea of not going down with a flat.

The best air pressure is around 24-26 in the rear, and 29+ in the front. You won't get the same variant in traction or ride as non run-flats, as these tires are so stiff in there sidewall.

Solution, buy convential tires at far less cost, keep a cell phone with you, and tire repair kit, MOST OF ALL GET A SMART TIRE SYSTEM, I sell them, and this is your best safeguard.

Better traction, ride, save money,

Skip White

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Alright Skip, I'll bite. What's a smart tire system?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DJ, The Smart Tire System, monitors the air pressure to the pound, and the temperature. Very accurate. I would not be without this, especially if I had conventional tires. It has an alarm if pressure falls below a preset pressure. You can scan all four tires in about 2-3 seconds.

If you go the conventional route, you really want to get this,

Here's what can happen to you,

low tire, highway speed, can't really feel it, tire gets very hot, tire sidewall shreads to peices, rim and tire are ruined, allmost wrecked, 1:00 AM in the morning, bad part of town, get home at 3:00 AM

This happened to me, just like that. I will never run a car without this system again. I did feel the car tug a bit when I accellerated, I thought I may have a low tire, when in fact it was down to 10 or lbs. Above that you really can't feel it. I was glad I wasn't in a spirited driving mood. You would have had to feel what it was like when the sidwall shredded.

They run about $300.00 give or take. I've been a dealer on them for about a two years, and have put them in many of my classis cars.

Skip White

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip doesn't the stock SRT toire monitoring system protect for the low pressure condition? I thought it sets the alarm around 20 psi.

OP
OP
M

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the information. i will try that pressure to see if the car ride better. Dodge had enough room it seems like for a spare under the trunk :confused:
Max

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oem system only says low tire, and has a preset warning. I like the idea of putting it higher than 20. You can set each axle where you want.

The nice thing I like is knowing exactly what air pressure you have, and the temp. This system is so advanced compared to the oem one.

I also like to keep an eye on the tire temp, as this can tell me if I'm running to low. If you get a leak, the temp can really tell you how critical it is, as it's a direct indicator of how bad off you are.

It's really great to monitor these things, and it's amazing how the tire heats up with speed and time. It's also good to see how much of a pressure increase you get with, tempature.

as for the spare going in under the car, I really don't think that will work. The battery box is under the car. This system will at least let you see the pressure so you can decide on getting of the road or making it home.

Skip W

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't realize your tire is running low. Like Skip says, it felt twitchy but I thought it was just follwing the ruts in the road,

181Tire_Failure_001-med.jpg

181Tire_Failure_003-med.jpg

181Tire_Failure_002-med.jpg

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, that looks exactly like mine. This is one of the drawbacks to ultra low pro tires, ya just can't tell it's, really ya can't even tell by looking at the tire. That used to be a quick reference.

I seen a guy at the tire store, with a tire and wheel like this, came off an Audi Quattro, said he never felt it coming, especially with the all wheel drive.

Skip White

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Isn't that a picture of a GEN II tire and wheel? They are not run-flat's, as I am sure you must know. Nevertheless, it's still a good reminder to "monitor" tire pressures!

After being fortunate enough to have owned three Vipers, (currently I own the SRT-10) I personally feel that the ride quality of my SRT is much better than my GEN II Vipers. Yes, the SRT is aproximately 30% stiffer; (frame/body, etc. as published in the SRT book) , but the seats are so much better and the suspension is superior in my opinion.

As you probably know, using these "super high-performance" run-flats has saved weight by eliminating the spare tire and wheel; not to mention a record-setting 60-0mph braking record for production sports cars of 97' feet!

Yes, I would like to have cruise-control, an "outside Temperature" gauge, and programmable garage door buttons to be offered in the SRT, but I still never lose sight of the fact that it is a Viper, not a Lexus.

There are user adjustable (via a cockpit mounted switch I believe) shocks available from Moton. Call Jon B. at Part's Rack for info. They are expensive, but supposedly fantastic for setting comfort/performance levels!

Thanks,

Jim W.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Jim, that was a convential tire, but the monitoring system is more directed to users that go this route.

As for a weight savings, by not having a spare, that's all negated by the runflats tremendous rotational weight gain. Believe me, they are much heavier. I think them not putting a spare in the car was due to not having space for it, and the runflats are very conforting to have. The great braking has absolutly nothing to do with the runflat factor. It's the large rotors, and ABS, combined with a great car. I'm sure a convential tire would stop better.

I really like the idea of not having a flat, but there are so many drawbacks to the tire. I'll take my chance's. I'm going to experiment with the Moton adj. just to see what I think about it. As for now Aldans are working out, but I've had a few problems with them recently. I'm not going to promote any product unless it has passed my seal of aproval. I do think the springs and shocks need to be toned down a bit, if your not autocrossing.

Skip White

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Skip,

What are the details of the tire pressure monitor system? How does it install? Is there a monitor and if so, where do you mount the monitor? Does it use the existing sensors? Some pictures would be neat.

I liked the system in my Corvette, as it was integrated into the driver information system.

Please let us know.

Dan

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, the route I am going is somewhat of a compronise. I am going with the 545R HRE wheels and the Pirreli P Zero tires. (Pirreli is the only one offering a size to fit the 20 inch rear wheels)
What I decided to do is run the Low Tire Pressure Sensors inside the HRE wheels.
HRE has come up with a new design band to hold the sensors in place. This way I would hope to have a little warning if I have a tire start to loose air pressure.
My only concern is I am one of the first to use the new design band. I personally know of a couple guys who had problems with the old design.
I also decided to have HRE mount the sensors, tires and balance the assembly, that way there can be no finger pointing if there is a problem!
They are supposed to ship this coming week, I will let evveryone know how they work out. :2tu:

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian the stainless steel band is very strong. That's what the Smart Tire System uses. This hold the sensor on very well.

Dan, I haven't decided where the best place to mount the 1X2 inch monitor. I had a great place in the GTS. I'll find somewhere. Yea I remenber the Vette setup. They did atleast tell you the psi.

I'll get you some pics, as I've just put this one in the SRT and have been so busy latley, I haven't permanantly mounted it yet.

Skip White

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question for those on this thread - I had a nail removed from my rear tire, service guy said no leak. The next morning tire was flat, are these runflats repairable or should I get a new tire? If I get it repaired, is it better to plug from outside or patch from inside?

I am cautious about tire removal as it will increase the possibility of scratches and other damage to the wheel. Although, I am most interested in the tire's integrity.

Appreciate any input or feedback -

JM

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question for those on this thread - I had a nail removed from my rear tire, service guy said no leak. The next morning tire was flat, are these runflats repairable or should I get a new tire? If I get it repaired, is it better to plug from outside or patch from inside?

I am cautious about tire removal as it will increase the possibility of scratches and other damage to the wheel. Although, I am most interested in the tire's integrity.

Appreciate any input or feedback -

JM

Patch, from the INSIDE only!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes patch from the inside only. Plugs are actually pretty good, but inside patch is perfect. Yes these are to be repaired the same way as any other tire. These tires are hell to get on and off the rim, very easy to damage, and very easy to repair such damage.

Skip White

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson