Best turbo kit?

gt88306

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you guys think the best turbo kit is for the Viper as far as price/reliability/high hp??? On a pretty much stock viper.....basic bolt-ons.

-Brett

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry -

You can't do that to us! You have to spill the beans sooner than this!!!

c'mon... I've loaned my trailer to TWO of your customers... the least you can do is to throw us a bone here!

JD

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Come on Larry spill the beans :) Will it be readdy in oct when I come down there to pick up my car :D

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta ask. Being new to Vipers, I really have no idea on this. But I looked at this one ROE or whatever charger. Is it really possible to pick up almost 150hp just form a charger? I know they add power but even that seems like a lot. Although, for the money...better have some serious gains. So yeah, is a supercharger the "easiest" way to pick up that much HP? And after the SP, with the right combo, can you add those performance 600 - 700 - etc packages?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe is a supercharger kit. We also have DC Peformance, Doug Levin Motorsports (DLM), and Heffner Performance (alphabetical order) are our "tuners". I know DLM and Heffner have achieved 1000+ HP status with their superchargers. Both are world class guys. Heffner, I know from personal experience, definitly is; although I'm not an owner. And DC has their twin
s-c package out now or soon.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! So put simply, my 94 ( when I get it ) wouldn't have to stay at a "measely" 450HP? Is it pretty easy to just send it off to be worked on?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except most turbo and blower kits are for 1996 or later (GenII) Vipers.. you might want to buy a newer car. There were only 3 years or so of GenI cars and there weren't many built, maybe what 2000-3000 1992-1995 Vipers?
Tuners with blower and turbo kits may spend their R&D on the newer and more numerous GenII cars.
BTW, '94 Vipers are 400HP.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct if I"m wrong, which I am most of the time, aren't '92-'95 GenI's 400HP at the crank? That would put them about 360 at the wheels and not 400...? :confused:

Gerald

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That'd be interesting!

One has had years of on-going "R & D" with themselves, the other has had less time but a lot more sales and published results.

One has gone faster than any other Viper on the salt, the other over the 1/4 mile in both 6 speed and auto form.

One has got 200mph in the standing mile, the other now has a lot more powerful versions since they last ran a mile.

One sounds great on paper but jury is still out because there are simply not enough around to have much independent info on, the other has less "sophistication" on paper but testimonials from happy customers and extensive track results.

One has state of art engine management, the other has proven it can survive the toughest test - customer satisfaction.

Both can deliver the goods. Which is best? Is there a right answer? Will the answer change inside 12 months?

So many questions - think i'll go lie down... :D

OP
OP
G

gt88306

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque.....who is that "other" tuner your mentioning?

-Brett

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque.....who is that "other" tuner your mentioning?

-Brett

Hennessy is the only tuner out there with multiple proven turbo Vipers out on the road in customers hands.

The kit Larry is installing (if I am not mistaken) is a Hennessy TT kit.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both SVS and [******] have twin turbo packages that have proven themselves in speed events.

There are no other TT kits available as yet that will run with either of those two tuners top cars. There are smaller alternatives however at 700rwhp.

Outside that - there may be something cooking in the oven that will be right up there - we'll all have to just wait and see ;)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
West Coast Viper just came out with a kit.
I don't know much about it, suppose to be 700 RWHP for 30K
www.westcoastviper.com

-Sean

I think you'll find that kit was developed by Axis Engineering and is the one used by Jason. West Coast may care to comment as to whether they are marketing and installing the kits or actually developing them inhouse.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason can best answer but Axis left him high and dry and West Coast Viper came to the rescue. The only thing left from the original Axis kit is the turbos (for the most part). Computer control, fuel system tunning...the whole nine yards was finished by West Coast.

I believe they are offering their own turbo setup. Not someone else's kit. You should call them if interested. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.
909-676-1204

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original packaging (turbo placement, pipe fitting) of the kit was done by Axis as a business venture between myself and them, but as stated it was not right. First some other club members and tuners put their .02 in. Thanks to Levin and Scott @ Elite since they were my tech support as I tuned alone from my garage at home. The best and broadest HP and driveability was not until John at West Coast finalized the tuning and design. The kits are available but marketting will not be pushed ******* them. No Turbo kit is smog legal and a CARB # is not worth any tuner pursuing since there will never be high volume production. For those looking into race only or smog 'illegal' setups, the kits from every tuner have their advantages and dis-advantages. Needless to say I am biased towards ours. At West Coast Viper the motor kits are the focus of our sales efforts. However, because of the 'got to know factor', we will be putting one of our twin turbo kits onto our 725R motor that ran recently in the Nebraska mile race.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM has a turbo kit under being road tested right now. Doug said he wont release the system until he has hard miles on the package and a year or 2 of testing. I'll wait for as long as it takes for the DLM turbo package. good luck to others. Alot of good tuners out there.

Max

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM has a turbo kit under being road tested right now. Doug said he wont release the system until he has hard miles on the package and a year or 2 of testing. I'll wait for as long as it takes for the DLM turbo package. good luck to others. Alot of good tuners out there.

Max
:eek: a DLM turbo car, THAT will be on my Christmas list :D !

-Lou

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the big question with the TT kits is do they have "altitude normalizing" or adjustable boost from in the cockpit?

There is nothing more sucky than driving at 9000 ft and loosing 1/3rd of your HP!

#@(&$#*($@

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no other TT kits available as yet that will run with either of those two tuners top cars. There are smaller alternatives however at 700rwhp.

Outside that - there may be something cooking in the oven that will be right up there - we'll all have to just wait and see ;)

The SVS Stryker TT systems have very unique features.

Headers and flanges

Completely built out of 321 stainless / Lifetime guarantee

Cooling

Air to water - less plumbing = more efficient cooling

Fuel Management

The Stryker TT can be installed on a customers Viper at a 1st stage inexpensive level and maintain 750 hp with stock internals. Stand alone engine management will precisely handle the entire system. At any time if this customer wishes to strengthen the internals and increase the boost, then everything is already in place to do so. When building the engine the customer will now have a system that can rev higher rpm's than the competition and be precisely managed by stand alone engine management.

When a SVS Stryker TT comes to an event it will have the greatest flexability to do what it's owner wants. Do you want to win? give SVS a call.

SVS :usa: :usa: :usa:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the big question with the TT kits is do they have "altitude normalizing" or adjustable boost from in the cockpit?

There is nothing more sucky than driving at 9000 ft and loosing 1/3rd of your HP!

#@(&$#*($@

Any daily streetable turbo package should have adjustable boost. Would you want to be caught out in the rain with an engine set at 15lb boost? :eek: The 6 speed helps (much easier to drive off teh boost guage)- if you did that with an auto - your chances of dying would be better than 50/50. (an auto converter spools the turbos so fast on even light partial throttle - it only takes a split second loss of concentration watching the vacuum guage to boost it out of a turn). The best adjusters are in cockpit. Anything that requires you to lift the hood to change boost is a penny pincher.