best & worst things about being a new Viper owner

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 2000 RT/10 for a little over a month now (my first Viper experience). Here are ten observations...

1. Hands-down the best car I've ever driven. Period.

2. I've become so anal about this car! I've never been this way before. Am I the only one who has gone thru about 3000 rags cleaning brake dust off the wheels? Is 3000 per month about right? Bet I'm not the only one who takes the wheels off periodically to clean the back side and wheel wells.

3. What's with those huge round vents on the dash with no shutoff or directional control?

4. The 2-3 shift lockout (for CAFE standards and/or emissions as I understand) is almost reason enough to overthrow the government and put all of us in charge. I'm going to bypass that #$!% thing as soon as I get my hands on the wiring schematic(yes, I know I can just unplug it, but I'm going to make my own connector and fool the system...don't want dangling, taped wires). Hopefully, I get to this before I get rear-ended, killed, or laughed at for apparently being unable to handle a stick. And...lugging the engine is ****** on main & rod bearings. Not cool.

5. Dayum this thing draws attention! I'm still trying to get used to that (okay, I'm lying...I love it!). Has anyone else here had a rubbernecker nearly wreck (or wreck) gawking at your Viper?

6. We are owners of the car that millions dream about. Does anyone else feel like me? This sense of responsibility to the world to keep our Viper in perfect shape...*as he uses yet another towel on the wheels...should I get "dustless" pads?*

7. *SCRAPE*...the worst sound in the world. You just dragged the front air dam again over a little ripple in the road. Will this thing clear a tennis ball???

8. Odd-fire V-10's sure don't sound all that awesome through the stock exhaust. At least not to me. My wife made one rule. I can't mess with it until it's paid off. You won't see me much. I'll be busy making the $$$ to pay this thing off ASAP!

9. I'm going to come out with Viper Cola. It's no different than Coke, except that it's $12.95 a bottle.

10. Thanks for this GREAT website and some remarkable & useful posts!

PS: What else am I about to experience...maybe don't tell me! I have to run...I think my Viper misses me...catch you all later all!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you mean 1-2 shift lockout. It makes you go from 1-4 when shifting out of fisrt at really low RPM's. Just rev first a little longer. Who shifts outta first so early anyway?

Later

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
Just rev first a little longer. Who shifts outta first so early anyway?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zactly.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by racetech:

1. Hands-down the best car I've ever driven. Period.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How to make friends fast
supergrin.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>2. I've become so anal about this car! I've never been this way before. Am I the only one who has gone thru about 3000 rags cleaning brake dust off the wheels? Is 3000 per month about right? Bet I'm not the only one who takes the wheels off periodically to clean the back side and wheel wells.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're not alone. As mentioned above, be careful. Be even more careful when parking next to ANY curb..the first bite will really hurt.
pissed.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>3. What's with those huge round vents on the dash with no shutoff or directional control?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Get a Vette if you want creature comforts. I'm sure there's an available option to divert air to keep your temples cool without messing your lightly moussed hair.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>4. The 2-3 shift lockout (for CAFE standards and/or emissions as I understand) is almost reason enough to overthrow the government and put all of us in charge. I'm going to bypass that #$!% thing as soon as I get my hands on the wiring schematic(yes, I know I can just unplug it, but I'm going to make my own connector and fool the system...don't want dangling, taped wires). Hopefully, I get to this before I get rear-ended, killed, or laughed at for apparently being unable to handle a stick. And...lugging the engine is ****** on main & rod bearings. Not cool.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some of us woos owners go to SnakeOyl and buy their skip-shift eliminator Phone: 608-849-9878 (I don't think they have a website).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>5. Dayum this thing draws attention! I'm still trying to get used to that (okay, I'm lying...I love it!). Has anyone else here had a rubbernecker nearly wreck (or wreck) gawking at your Viper?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of the time it's great. Sometimes you get people who will literally stalk you in traffic until you acknowledge them with a thumbs up. Sheesh.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>6. We are owners of the car that millions dream about. Does anyone else feel like me? This sense of responsibility to the world to keep our Viper in perfect shape...*as he uses yet another towel on the wheels...should I get "dustless" pads?*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We ALL feel like you! There are no dustless brake pads. There are green pads that make less dust but there's compromises. Check the search button.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>7. *SCRAPE*...the worst sound in the world. You just dragged the front air dam again over a little ripple in the road. Will this thing clear a tennis ball???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are divergent opinions with regard to this. I do NOT like the metal chin guard as it can hook up on whatever object you ran over when you reverse. I prefer Sean Roe's guard - http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=102761537-545281110-1525664473&A=33&B=Viper%20Maintenance%20Items
And it's only $25.00! Scrapes are like battle scars.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>8. Odd-fire V-10's sure don't sound all that awesome through the stock exhaust. At least not to me. My wife made one rule. I can't mess with it until it's paid off. You won't see me much. I'll be busy making the $$$ to pay this thing off ASAP!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Use the search button again. Hundreds of posts. Personal choice.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>9. I'm going to come out with Viper Cola. It's no different than Coke, except that it's $12.95 a bottle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like that!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>10. Thanks for this GREAT website and some remarkable & useful posts!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
People here are truly great when you need them!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>PS: What else am I about to experience...maybe don't tell me! I have to run...I think my Viper misses me...catch you all later all!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You will experience, sooner or later, accelerating with your front wheels turned 10 degrees off center and face backwards down the street. Catch your breath, clean your pants and remember to keep the wheels straight when you play hard.

Hope some of this helps. Great first (or second) post! Welcome aboard!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try not to show your enthusiasm, as you explain to the wifey, how you respectfully declined the many offers by the ******'s girls to "buff you exhaust tip", and that you honestly just stopped in for a beer and some wings...Remember, its not what you know, but what you can prove!

One more tip, remove the rear mufflers on your lunch hour...cost about $50...this will get the wifey accustomed the increased volume from the exhaust...tell her "YES! the motor is FINALLY getting broke in"...then she will be none the wiser when you slip the $1200 cat-back system on...this is a TINY white lie, and as I am positive that God himself drives a viper, I am sure he will let you slide...

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
originally by genXgts: Top ten reasons you know you know you just bought your Viper!
10. Within 10 minutes of getting home from work, the Viper is pulled out of the garage and getting a bath.

9. It's a full blown thunderstorm while the above preformed.

8. You tape off all rubber weatherstripping on the car to prevent wax spills from messing up the paint.

7. Neighbor asks if your painting the car, you mutter senseless bric-a-brac like Ozzy and continue taping before waxing.

6. You realize water has collected in the hood "speaker" covers, and must be removed before waxing.

5. The removal tool: Your mouth.

4. While waxing the back end you realize the painted rear facia extends way under the car, almost past the muffler.

3. You shove some carpet under the muffler to minimize back pain and wax it all anyways.

2. You come in the house and realize you've spent over 7 hours in the garage, haven't ate a thing nor used the facilities.

and the number one reason you know you just bought your Viper:

You come to Viperclub.org and post the above before using the facilities or eating!!

More reasons you know you just bought your first Viper:

Your wife says she's going shopping and you could care less.

$4000.00 seems fair for an exhaust system.

You become willing to show others what it's like to travel at the speed of light(or close to it.)

Parking your car out in the north fourty and hiking in to your destination is o.k. even with your Grandfather.

You drive just to drive, the destination is irrelevant.

Above by Neon Snake.

Below by Bonkers:

You take great pleasure in knowing that ****bug paid the ultimate price for messing up the front of your car.

When people ask you what you did with your fancy car over the weekend you answer with great and lengthy detail. The response to which is always "And you did that for fun?"

On your desk at work you have one pic of the wife, one pic of the kids, and at least three framed time slips and/or Dyno results.

You're on a first name basis with the guy at the tire shop.

Your insurance agent mysteriously can afford a trip to Tahiti right after you payment is received.

Your picture hangs on the main lobby wall of the Zaino Corp.

JMcGuire:

Upon delivery, you finally meet the neighbors you've been ignoring for years.

Your response to ANY break in conversation begins with, "Did you know that the Viper..."

Your powers of visual perception expand to superhuman levels, as you are able to detect unacceptable dust and dirt buildup after the car has sat in the garage overnight.

You catch yourself mentally evaluating parking spaces according to their total protection value, assigning points for width, curbing on one, two, or all three sides (nirvana,) and overhanging tree proximity.

You catch yourself standing in the garage, alone, staring at the car. And you realize you've missed dinner.

By onerareviper:

You spend WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY to much time at www.viperclub.org and don't get sh*t done.

You are obsessed with reading every dam post, so you don't miss some magical/cheap performance enhancement.

You find yourself typing stupid posts that are meaningless at 2:44 AM, Dam, I gotta be up in 5 hours.

supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Birvini on 07-22-2002 at 10:12 PM</font>

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all are right on with the posts--gave me a real chuckle! I'll have to go easy as far as the ****** Girls...the neighbor son's ridiculously cute girlfriend came over to have a look. With my wife standing there, she said "OH! I just want to DRAPE myself over the hood of this car!"...

The wife was like "okay, you can go home now" and I'm thinking *you are NOT going to climb up on my $12,500.00 hood, not even nekkid...* Oh geez--what's happening to me? *slap, slap*

I now know the horror of seeing a puddle on the road dead ahead having just removed that last micron of dust...you make your plan, check traffic...okay, grip the steering wheel, give it throttle...*whew* Got past that one.

As far as stalking the best parking space? I did this recently...is this excessive? We were hungry--it was late and we were tired from putting on an 8-hour race technology program. We approached the restaurant--it was a total zoo. A classic car show going on. The only available parking was in a strip mall between two old cars with attack trim on the doors. What to do.

I parked temporarily...went up to the event organizers. I found out it was only $18.00 to joing the club. A few moments later, I was easing Vipey into a nice spot on the grass behind ropes. I put the hood up and we went in & enjoyed a nice dinner. Was that out of line--eighteen bucks for a secure parking space? Turned out to be a lot of fun anyway, talking to all the people. And--seems a Viper can outdraw some of the best street rods out there. But...you already knew that!

Till next time!

Racetech

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem I have with being a Viper owner is not knowing if the girl wants to be with me because of who I AM, or the car I drive.
On second thought, who gives a **** why she wants to be with me. So it is all good.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, my first time being quoted from previous posts (Birvini), better watch my posts from here in on, if I get a long term girlfriend that can pronounce multi-syllable words like "internet", I'm screwed!!!!
smile.gif
no offence ladies, trying to move to the mind over matter theory! wait, is there such a thing as mind and matter, hmmmmm.......

Citysnake, could you elaborate on the metal Fasrack guard and your reverse concerns? My understanding is with the most rearward of the guard being attached to the bolts, with the lowest ground clearance of the rack being maybe 3-4 inches frontwards of that. My thinking is for the rack to catch in reverse the front fascia bolts would have to get clipped, which would inflict damage with a guard or not? Just my understanding, let me know if you have some other insight as I did research it quite a bit from owners and searching on threads at the time.....
Last thing I need is some preventive maintenance purchase causing more damage, dam!!!

In an interesting side note the interest from myself or others for my car has not waned whatsoever, I have washed my GTS 3 times this week so far, usually every time a drive it, sometimes twice in the same day, I've got issues.......

talk to ya later,

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmcalist:
The only problem I have with being a Viper owner is not knowing if the girl wants to be with me because of who I AM, or the car I drive.
On second thought, who gives a **** why she wants to be with me. So it is all good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...the way I see it, for us the Viper is not merely a car. It's part of us, it reflects who we are and in no uncertain terms. Therefore *ahem*, if she likes you for your Viper, she really likes you for who you really are.

Anyway, the car makes herlook better too. Maybe she's the one who should be concerned that that her appeal to you is being enhanced by your car wrapped around her.

Am I going to rot in Viperless hell for being somehow sexist?
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950