BEWARE of Those Random Tech Cats

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is how I installed mine. No problems yet. 2500 miles so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are these holes on these pipes shown here hitting the frame? If so would polyurethane motormounts help? How about dimpleing the pipe like I did?

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks great! i dont think its a problem for the GEN II. ive had several sets or RTs in my gen II and never a clamp or braking problem. i think its only a problem in the GEN IIIs

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these holes on these pipes shown here hitting the frame? If so would polyurethane motormounts help? How about dimpleing the pipe like I did?

For some, new mounts help them gain clearance where the collectors cross the frame. This is especially true when the stock mounts are worn down to the size of pancakes. The Woodhouse mounts are thicker than stock mounts and they helped raise my headers enough to clear the frame without any chance of touching. For others who have installed the PB mounts, like the ones on their way to you :D, they helped lower the engine to gain clearance under the hood. We're talking slight difference of 3/16" in thickness between the PB and OEM mounts.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is how I installed mine. No problems yet. 2500 miles so far.

While this is a gen II, i think this will solve the problem for genIIIs. Bolt did you fabricate that yourself? Is the flex pipe pictured from your stock exhaust or did you purchase it?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... I cant believe its not obvious to eveyone.

And please dont take this as a KNOCK.. But what BOLT did is singularly useless for solving the flex problem. He put the flex pipe AFTER where the hanger would be. So that would actually do no good. In this case, becasue he isnt using the front hanger, he didnt even need a flex pipe.

So NO this most certainly will NOT fix the issue with the gen 3's They "flex" needs to happen in FRONT of the first mount in the fron of the exhaust, so that when the engine flexs, it doesnt push down/pull up on the exhaust mounts.

When you dont have any flex in the system, with a flex pipe, they you have to remove the hangers in the front, so that the engine can flex without fighting the exhaust hanger thats fixed to the body, but is trying to be moved under load.

Bolt's sheet looks hot.. but its really useless in the over-all point in fixing anything. I had a gen 2, and you dont need a flex pipe if you dont use the front hangers. If you do use the front hangers, then you MUST put the flex pipe before the hanger, not after it.

-Unfiltered as usual,

Jon

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were talking generally that adding a flex pipe should work, not in particular about his application.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is no hanger on the gen 2 with what looks like the belanger headers. Most people just take them off..

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After breaking my RT cats at hangers, twice, My friend made a offroad pipe. Used factory flange to mate up to exhaust header and then put in flex pipe and then the rest of the piping. Never had a problme after that. RT cats should really invest into using a flex pipe otherwise no one is going to buy there crap anymore.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After breaking my RT cats at hangers, twice, My friend made a offroad pipe. Used factory flange to mate up to exhaust header and then put in flex pipe and then the rest of the piping. Never had a problme after that. RT cats should really invest into using a flex pipe otherwise no one is going to buy there crap anymore.

oh OK. so you're the 5th person here that its happen to that i know of. apparently when i called RT yesterday they said they never heard of this problem ever. ANDDDDDD the guy that sold them to me TOLD ME to stop complaining and im the only one this has happen to and has not happened to anyone else.:crazy2:

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes!!!! thats why i chose to bust b*lls even more!!! he said that i shouldnt complain and that im the only one this is happening to. then he said that my motor is prolly Supercharged and then tried to blame my eibach springs/lowered suspension that werent event installed in the car at the time. either way i got a set replaced with no problem, i give him that. he DID pull a few strings at RT though. just cause i caught u at a bad time, or dont want to deal with warranty work.. dont talk to me like im a dummy, ive went through $30k in parts and repairs with my old viper...thats enough schooling to know whats going on..

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow... I cant believe its not obvious to eveyone.

And please dont take this as a KNOCK.. But what BOLT did is singularly useless for solving the flex problem. He put the flex pipe AFTER where the hanger would be. So that would actually do no good. In this case, becasue he isnt using the front hanger, he didnt even need a flex pipe.

Bolt's sheet looks hot.. but its really useless in the over-all point in fixing anything. I had a gen 2, and you dont need a flex pipe if you dont use the front hangers. If you do use the front hangers, then you MUST put the flex pipe before the hanger, not after it.

-Unfiltered as usual,

Jon

There is no hangers in front of the flex pipe. Running Belanger headers and corsa exhaust you do not run hangers in front of the cats. If you did it would restrict the flexing of the engine and put allot of stress on the exhaust. Thank you for the criticism. I don't claim to be the best. I just try things and see if they work.:headbang:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. It wasnt criticism per say.. it was feedback :) ... lol.. in an unfiltered Jon way.

Anwyays, im just saying a Flex pipe is NEEDED if your doing hangers up front near the elbow where the exhaust bends, if you are running SOLID with no flex pipe, then you dont need the hangers at all around the elbow/up front and only need the ones in the back. Basically the rigidity of the front non flex pipe are able to hold everything in place from the headers all the way to the back where the first hanger should start/be.

Thats it.. no flame intended. Just helping to keep this in the right direction, which is a solution for these cracking RT cats. Which i believe the solution is either DONT USE THE HANGERS they come with.. OR use the hangers they come with AND a flex pipe IN FRONT of them (not behind, becasue by then you defeated the purpose of the flex pipe/hanger set up.

Jon

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes!!!! thats why i chose to bust b*lls even more!!! just cause i caught u at a bad time, or dont want to deal with warranty work.. dont talk to me like im a dummy, ive went through $30k in parts and repairs with my old viper...thats enough schooling to know whats going on..

I know exactly how you feel man....I'm stupid too :lmao:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My SRT was basically stock, Just a Corsa and RT cats. maybe 2k miles or less , the, left side hanger broke off, welded and it was ok. Then maybe 3-5k later , both sides broke again. As I said , I got tired of it, my friend made our own custom exhaust pipes. NO problmes after that. At the time I had my problems, there were a few threads of them breaking and people not getting any help. I wasnt going to waste my time, So i fixed myself. RT may not hear all the complaints but there ARE plenty.

And maybe I drive my car harder then some, maybe I dont, fact is RT needs to put in a flex pipe or people need to stop buying from them.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line is if im paying 650.00 for metal sub cats i want them to last more than 2k miles. why not add the flex pipe and sell them for $800?? if im already payin 650 whats another $150 ?? just F*in get it right!!

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mine only lasted 1500k... I didn't realize it had the hole until around 800 more miles after.... I was wondering why the car felt slower... I thought it was do to the hot florida weather.....

Also this hole caused one of my sparkplugs to fail.....

Such a crappy product...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys just hit the nail on the head. We should not have to reinvent the wheel just because RT made these cats wrong. I called them and got nowhere ether. The problem is that there are no other choice that I know of out there where you can buy just the cats. WE should get Jon B. to put pressure on RT to redesign these cats with a flex pipe as he is the major retailer for them.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you even give a second chance to a company that doesnt care about thier customers in the first place... Not me. Some other company should see this as an opportunity. If someone can find a logical replacement and design from a respectable dealer, I am in.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys just hit the nail on the head. We should not have to reinvent the wheel just because RT made these cats wrong. I called them and got nowhere ether. The problem is that there are no other choice that I know of out there where you can buy just the cats. WE should get Jon B. to put pressure on RT to redesign these cats with a flex pipe as he is the major retailer for them.

i think jon tried when my first set broke. chuck tator even spoke to the RT engineer or tech guy and still same problem. all they did was give it a stronger or bigger weld by the hangers.

XCELR8N

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did any of you try patch welding the pipe? I really dont want to have to replace them if I dont have to.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) This is an old-old Thread that shows the ill-fated bracket placement. The 6 that broke of HUNDREDS SOLD were replaced under warrantee, and Dimitrious got TWO

2) The new design has not had a break/claim in 2+ years

3) Even tho YOU ARE NOT the original owner, we also said today that we would replce or repair, YOUR CHOICE.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I remove the hangers if the customer wants these installed. Seems to work fine that way.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good work Dan on the install of mine. Have not had a problem and has been 3500 miles with the RT cats.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe has HF cats with the flex pipe built in. This thread kept me away from HF cats until Sean solved the issue with the flex pipe built right in just like the factory. I highly recommend them.

Did any of you try patch welding the pipe? I really dont want to have to replace them if I dont have to.

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI. I called Billy Boat exhaust and asked about the cat down pipe. He said he was in the business of selling full exhaust systems not components. :grumpy:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4