bits of metal on the garage floor

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last fall I had a problem with a clogged cat. Thankfully it was covered under the 8/80,000 emissions warranty.

Now, I have noticed a lot of metal debris on the floor by the driver side exhaust pipe, and a little on the passenger side.

Could this be a sign that the other catalytic converters are going bad? Earlier this week when I first started the car it didn't run right for the first minute or so - basically, it had no power.

From my perspective, I'm assuming that it must be the driver side catalytic converters going bad.

Could their be something else that would have that symptom?

thanks,
~Jay

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be the mufflers have the old parts of catalist clogged in them, comeing out on the floor

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the dealer, all the cats are bad.

Why would a new cat go bad after only about 6000 miles and 8 months?

I can't afford to buy new cats every 8 months.

~Jay

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its either overfueling and terminateing them, misfireing ignition and terminating them, or they are not bad and old parts stuck in the mufflers and working thier way out..

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who put the cats on 8 months ago? they should be warrantied

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The work done 8 months ago was under the 8/80,000 federal emissions warranty. The 8 years expired in January. It's my opinion that Dodge should stand behind their work and their product. A Dodge part installed by a Dodge dealer should last more than a few thousand miles. Hopefully Dodge will agree.

~Jay

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a call from Dodge. They seem to be doing all they can to help me out. I doubt it will be free, but at least it won't be as expensive as I cou8ld have been.

If they step up and take care of me I might just have to go ahead and buy the Jeep SRT8 I've been dreaming about.

~Jay

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those new converters are under warranty for the converter, not the car!!!! they have nothing to do about your car, THE CONVERTERS ARE UNDER WARRANTY.....PERIOD!!!! if they are actually bad

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those new converters are under warranty for the converter, not the car!!!! they have nothing to do about your car, THE CONVERTERS ARE UNDER WARRANTY.....PERIOD!!!! if they are actually bad
....as long as your car did not ruin them

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of today, the Mopar warranty will cover the cat that was replaced in November including labor. I'm responsible for the other cat. If they determine that they failed for no good reason there is a slight chance that Dodge will reimburse me because of the low miles.

After the new cats are installed, they will then begin the diagnostic process to see what caused the premature failure.
Do you guys have any ideas?

One friend suggested a high speed misfire or fueling issue at high speeds. Would that require dyno tuning?

~Jay

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Dodge stepped up and is willing to pay the majority of the bill. Brenda at Dodge was very proactive in getting this taken care of. I don't know that I have ever received better customer service the I received from her.

The bad news is that the shop can't find a cause. If it happens again, then I'll be out $3000.

~Jay