Black '06 Z06 gets his ass handed to him..

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black \'06 Z06 gets his ass handed to him..

Well it FINALLY happened. Met up with a black Z06 on the way back from dinner with Richie (05 Comm. Edition SRT10).....

Long open stretch of road. Every 5 miles or so stoplights. I lined up with him a couple times. I was very nervous as I'm completely STOCK except filters, Richie has a Level I DLM package in his. I knew he would have no problem but I was in for a match. Light hit green, no traffic in front, both spun (runcraps) I was sideways but moving forwards in 1st ( hee hee)and I revved it up right at 60. He was slightly in front. I quickly nailed second about 500 RPM after the shift light came on, spun it good again. Did the same in 3rd and pulled him pretty good. I think by the time we hit about 120 I was about 2-3 cars in front. Good thing I wasn't in my 98 for his sake. ;)

Richie on the other hand had a hard time keeping his viper from spinning with the extra HP he has with the DLM kit. Once he hooked up at the top of 2nd he blew him away quite easy.. :2tu: :D

At the next light we were fist in line again, talked a little and did the same. The vette sounded really nice, I think he must have dropped his mufflers or something ??? He kept wanting to do roll ons also, pulled him pretty good again doing that and Richie totally destroyed him on the roll ons. :eek: :2tu:

Excellent night, excellent cars, open road, lotta fun!
:2tu:
G

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Black \'06 Z06 gets his ass handed to him..

This is the most fun I have had in weeks. We enjoyed dinner and the ride home alone was worth the cost of the Paxton. This is the first time it has been cold in Florida in a year and these run craps **** in the cold weather. Time for new tires and rims... :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the Vette sounded like he dropped his mufflers because the Z has a system that bypasses the mufflers at wide open throttle I have been told or read somewhere. Best post since the Z came out guys!

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the Vette sounded like he dropped his mufflers because the Z has a system that bypasses the mufflers at wide open throttle

Yes that is true I have read that in a few mag's..
Great story got my heat pounding.......

:usa: :2tu: :nana: :headbang:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the Vette has some fuse you can pull out which makes it louder at all times instead of just on WOT

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good to finally hear of some real action and not some magazine comparisons. Congrats on the kill. The Z06's LS7 is a very healthy motor...a friend put in a cam and headers w/o a tune (software pending) and put down 547RWHP and 506 RWTQ. Stock the same car put down 443RWHP.

As for the muffler, it is at 3500 rpm that the 'bypass' opens and it gets loud (relatively speaking). Some of the owners simply 'pull the fuse' and run it with the bypass open all the time.

Just thought I'd pass along some info....

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good runs and nice kill.

You know what the problem is with these kills? One guy on one forum says he smoked a Viper in his Z, and the other guy on the other forum says he smoked the Z in his Viper. I really do think a driver has alot to do with these kill stories.

I really don't think that driver for driver an SRT can beat a C6 Z06. I definitely am not dismissing your kill, but I do think you beat the driver, and not the car.

As a matter of fact, I have a video on my desktop right now of me in my 2001 Z06 with an intake and exhaust only beating an SRT from a roll up to 140 mph. Does that mean I have the faster car? We all know the answer to that.

Are we always going to run into equal drivers on the road, nope. This is why I expect to hear a lot more Z06 kills from Viper owners. But, like i said, driver for driver, the SRT will not beat a C6 Z06.

Here is a video of a stock C6 Z06 running a 400 rwhp Mustang Mach, a H/C/Bolt-ons C5 Z, and a SRT-10 with 3:73's.

This is just an indication to prove my above point in regards to driver. A 400 rwhp stang should never keep up with a SRT-10, so obviously the SRT driver is clueless.

http://www.steedagt.net/Videos/C6Z06Racing1.wmv

Anyway, good kills on a very fast car.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A viper any year will loose most roll on races with say z06's if the start of the race is to be in the same gear. Viper long gearing is way too long when compared to a z06. Next time you guys are out have the viper guy start in a lower gear better suited for the speed, and the race will be very different.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A viper any year will loose most roll on races with say z06's if the start of the race is to be in the same gear. Viper long gearing is way too long when compared to a z06. Next time you guys are out have the viper guy start in a lower gear better suited for the speed, and the race will be very different.

not unless the Z drops the gear too (going back to the equal drivers thing)

Remember, Vipers sweet spot is approx. the Z's sweet spot.
For example,

both need to be in 2nd at 60 for optimal gear/rpm, or both in 3rd at 90, etc...they have the same exact gearing in each gear.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think my shifting took him as I shift very quick and gained at top of each gear and at the shift. Torque baby! These cars are very close. I've been seeing 125mph 126 from the vette and I've seen a totally stock srt hit 124.x
so if 1 - 2 mph seperates them, it's up in the air. I don't care what you drive but with cars that close, it's up to the drivers and the better man won. ;)
G

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:
"Must have been a lousy Vette driver-- no offense"

Driver skills are more critical in a Viper vs the ZO6 "Traction control and all kind of driver assist electronics in the ZO6"... :cool:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was directly in back of the Vette during several runs he made with G. To me up to about 80 mph the Vette had a slight lead. When they both shifted in 3rd gear G caught him and gained a slight lead. They both did a good job of driving but Gerald beat him and it was a great match-up. Gerald you did an awesome job

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Awesome job guys!! Whether you beat the car or driver, isnt it more fun when you actually have to know what you're doing as compared to racing a Honda Prelude?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sorry Gerald. There is no way you beat the 8 sec 1/4 mile,50 mpg,0to60 in 2 sec,Only five built this year, Z06. Must have been an Acura.........

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice kill!! Rich, give me a call about the wheels.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Awesome job guys!! Whether you beat the car or driver, isnt it more fun when you actually have to know what you're doing as compared to racing a Honda Prelude?

Hey! Whats wrong with racing a Honda Prelude? LOL. :bonker:

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Must have been a lousy Vette driver-- no offense
How could I not take offense to that statement?? LOL!!! I guess your saying I'm worse than lousy..

what a *********.... no offense

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Driver for Driver! Wrong gear! etc, etc! come on :rolleyes:

Gerald spun and still put it to sleep! :2tu:

Nice Gerald! :headbang:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I raced another one in my Porsche this weekend, and he eeked out on me by a car or so.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:

Driver skills are more critical in a Viper vs the ZO6 "Traction control and all kind of driver assist electronics in the ZO6"... :cool:

Well that's not exactly true. While the Vette does have traction control one spin of the tire the timing is reducing and power is cut by almost 50%. This is why traction control is turned off by oner prior to racing.

Gerald, good kill. :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lucky time to meat a ZO6 in relatively perfect street setting. Too bad you had stock tires but for purposes of camparison this was awesome. I don't have your skill since I have little to no experience. I would probably have spun out if I didn't have Kumhos to keep me straight. Good Kill! :headbang:

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Driver for Driver! Wrong gear! etc, etc! come on :rolleyes:

But it is the truth. Like I said, I have a video of me beating an SRT 10 from a roll in my slow 2001 stock Z06. If he was as good of a driver as i am, would I have won?

Driver for driver, the C6 Z06 is the quicker car. I am not taking away from your kill, Gerlad. I certainly believe you beat the car who had a not so good driver in it.

I mean look at the video that I provided within my first post on this subject above. It shows the C6 Z06 ****** an SRT with 3.73's from a roll. Does that mean that the C6 Z06 is that much quicker that the SRT? No, and I will be the first to tell you that that driver in the SRT was not as good as the driver in the C6 Z06 or else he would have done better! I am just fair about things, as I am with this race that Gerald encountered.

If there are any stock SRT owners in GA (that know how to drive, of course) there is a C6 Z06 that is itching to run a stock SRT. Let me know and we can set something up. That ought to be fun..:)

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I raced another one in my Porsche this weekend, and he eeked out on me by a car or so.

Have you ever ran an SRT-10 in your Porsche? How much hp is it pushing?

Thanks

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:

Driver skills are more critical in a Viper vs the ZO6 "Traction control and all kind of driver assist electronics in the ZO6"...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote:
Well that's not exactly true. While the Vette does have traction control one spin of the tire the timing is reducing and power is cut by almost 50%. This is why traction control is turned off by oner prior to racing.

"The Z06 enables the driver to turn excellent track lap times, but it also is quick to learn and is very forgiving for its performance level,” said Hill. “We tested its capability around the world to ensure it will feel at home on any road or race track.”
A Delphi four-channel ABS system is used, <font color="red"> as is a very competent active handling system – complete with a Competitive Driving mode.</font>".

Forgiving and Vipers, are never used in the same sentence. I'm not saying the Zo6 is an easy car to drive(Hill is saying that), I'm saying it's easier to drive and handle than a Viper... :2tu:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Forgiving and Vipers, are never used in the same sentence. I'm not saying the Zo6 is an easy car to drive(Hill is saying that), I'm saying it's easier to drive and handle than a Viper... :2tu:

Can't arguee with that, I toally agree. :)

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great run Gerald. I had the same exact experience a month or so ago. Took a new Z06 to school also. I could care less if its the car or the driver which seems to be the arguement here. At the Daytona 500 for example, people don't care which car was faster supposedly, they only want to know who the winner of the race was, that makes it the best car !!!!!!!!!! The topper for me, is that my 2005 SRT 10 is a CONVERTIBLE which for me is a must! A far as I know, the fastest convertible on the market in our price range. Had a two hour run today and hated to come back to the garage. This is one great and beautiful car, best I,ve ever owned and I've had many including a vette which I still have. Viper is still King of the Hill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21