Black smoke out of the exhaust?

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i was doing a few races last night and started to notice black smoke coming out of my exhaust when I would WOT it and shift gears.
What could this be?

I have an 06 coupe with intake and exhaust.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So i was doing a few races last night and started to notice black smoke coming out of my exhaust when I would WOT it and shift gears.
What could this be? I have an 06 coupe with intake and exhaust.

What does 'doing a few races' mean? And "started to notice...." Does it still occur? Or did it just happen 2-3-4 times? Getting wore or better or no change? ie 'just starting" to happen>

Have you replaced your battery ....or disconnected it recently ?

How many miles on old plugs?

How many sedate / cruiser miles did you log since your last WOT-WOT-WOT episodes? ie old-lady-driving can result in buildup and the blowout you saw.

What FUEL do you use? Have you run any injector-cleaners lately?

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What could this be?

I have an 06 coupe with intake and exhaust.

If black under acceleration, worst case scenario is ring damage...if black when letting of, worst case scenario is valve stem seals.

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its just running to rich due to i had pulled off two exhaust. Im going to try swapping out the plugs.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it runs good and no ses light,leave the thing alone,they run fat under a hard excel anyway-dont overwrench it

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, im not sure. While i was getting ready to race i gunned it really quick and threw a 2-3. And looked at my driver side mirror and saw the smoke, never looked at the other side.

Then while i was racing a car, the people spectating from behind all said they saw smoke coming out of the exhaust, i never asked if it was both or just one.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the inside of one side's exhaust tip really dirty? If it's coming from only one side my bet is a failed O2 sensor. There are 2 per side (different PNs for upstream and down stream). My '06 started sooting up the right side exhaust tip and smoking at WOT and it was an O2 sensor. I just bought and replaced both to be done with it. Good luck..

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah but i think if an O2 sensor failed it would throw a light.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did not throw a code. Smoked out the right side (could clearly see it out the side mirror) under WOT and sooted the exhaust tip. Under Mark's (Woodhouse) advice, I replaced the O2 sensors on the offending side. Problem instantly solved. BTW, I was ready to battle removing them. As I wrenched on the front sensor, I was shocked that it was only finger tight. Perhaps it was a bad ground and that was the issue? I don't know, I just replaced both at that point and was happy with an instant fix. I was happy to pay $200 and make an issue like that go away..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness