Bleeding brakes???

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine running,ignition on or off..(Engine in bits so dont run at the mo).....
Putting on stop techs and SS Hoses...
THANK YOU JON B :2tu: !!!!!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya don'tneed the engine to run to bleed brakes. Just have someone pump the peddle or get yer hands on a power bleeder!

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers guys!!!!! Is that still with no ignition??
SNAKBIT stick with tan trim looks good......

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Wow! Those speed bleeders are only $7 a piece? Do they work as good as the web pages states? Are they as easy to install as one would think - remove your current bleeder screw/valve and replace with the speed bleeders? Give us details Chuck.

Later

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the speedbleeders are affordable and easy to use. No need for a second person. Just loosen the bleeder, route a tube to a container and start pumping the brake peddle. I always replace the reservior with fresh fluid before beginning.

UK you don't need the ignition to bleed brakes.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to make reasonable guess that they haven't updated the site and the 92-97 bleeders will fit the 98-02 Vipers. They will certainly fit the pre ABS Vipers.

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the speedbleeders per advice from this board. Installation is as easy as it sounds. Bleeding the brakes is easier. Just make sure you keep your resevoir full. I sucked out the fluid and filled it with fresh fluid first so you don't have to bleed so much.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd call before assuming the 92-97's will fit the 98's and later. One significant issue that might affect their suitability for each year is clearance with the wheels, which changed significantly with the 19" wheels, as well as the normal simple thread and hole size parameters.

I've put speedbleeders on cars and motorcycle, then took them back off each of them. Not because I didn't like them, but more because I just didn't know if I trusted them not to fail on the track, and I really don't have any trouble bleeding brakes with one person anyway - just put a long tube into a bottle of fluid, and it doesn't **** bubbles back up.

For that matter, I've got a power bleeder, also - you can pick up a decent (albeit plastic) power/suction bleeder for about the same price as a set of four speedbleeders; at least I paid something like $30 for mine at a local Pep-Boys or Kragen, and its also useful for sucking the fluid out of the resevoir before you bleed so that you don't have to bleed the resevoir almost dry before you put in clean fluid, *then* **** the clean fluid all the way to the wheel cylinders.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I'm going to buy these things. Not to be a pain in the ****, but can someone explain the procedure in laymans terms. For instance, the order of calipers (you start with the rear/passener, right? My memory stinks). Also, I assume your remove the bleeder screw, replace with speed bleeder, then bleed that caliper. Then, move on to the next caliper, remove the bleeder screw, replace with speed bleeder, then bleed that caliper, etc.... Is this correct? I know, simple question, but I like to be 100% sure before starting a project.

Later

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd really look into the Motive Pressure bleeder if I were you. I used to use Speed Bleeders on every car, until I used the Motive kit. Basically, my speed bleeders are useless now.

I just hook the Motive bleeder to the reservoir... pump the bottle to build pressure, and then open each caliper screw one at a time to let the old fluid out and put new fluid in (new fluid is in the Motive Bleeder pressurized bottle).

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the suction method also. I like being able to see the fluid as it comes out (speedbleeders don't allow you to do this). More than one way to skin this cat.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another thought on the matter... you can use the Motive (or any pressure/vacuum bleeder) on multiple cars. I use it for all of my cars, and for all of my friends' cars who stop by to bleed brakes. No need to buy a set of Speed Bleeders for each vehicle.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to make reasonable guess that they haven't updated the site and the 92-97 bleeders will fit the 98-02 Vipers. They will certainly fit the pre ABS Vipers.

I have an 01 GTS with ABS and the same bleeder fits, part #SB1010S. Coincidently, the same bleeder fits my Porshce as well.

I've used the Motive Bleeder on my Porshce and Honda. While it works well, I find myself using the Speedbleeders more often because it is easier (no setup), and I don't have to pack the Motive unit to take to the track. Also, Motive doesn't have a screw-on cap that fits the Viper resevoir, so you have to use the universal clamp-on cap which I find a pain to deal with. It works well on BMWs and Porsches because the cap screws on the resevoir.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Motive Bleeder and find it a lot easier than speedbleeders or doing the two man method. With the Motive you can watch the fluid come out to see if there is debris or air. Also you don't have to walk back and forth to pump the brakes (at least 8 trips with speed bleeders). I would recommend getting the proper Miller tool cap adapter as it is much easier than using the universal clamp-on cap. Shop manual reccomends using pressure bleeding method.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with jcaspar1's comments. I also heard of potential seal issues by pumping brakes. The normal pedal travel distance is exceeded during pumping and certain cars are prone to having seal issues.

I bought the Motive Bleeder and the Miller Tools cap adapter. 800-801-5420 to Miller Tools, works on nonABS Vipers part 6643a year 92-00.

I also made a kit to quick-connect the Miller Tools cap and the universal adapter. This makes it easy to use on multiple cars and only $20. www.hipoengineering.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960