Bleeding Clutch Fluid

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I've read up on previous threads, but am not quite clear on how this is done so wanted to re-engage folks here...

I was going to bleed the clutch fluid for the first time this past week. Figuring there was a bleeder valve somewhere by the slave cylinder, I get under the car but found nothing except a fluid line that disappears into the bell housing/tranny. I've looked everywhere, and don't see any way to bleed the system without tearing stuff apart. I've read the thread that talks about sucking the fluid out of the reservoir, but have my doubts as to whether or not you're actually getting all the old fluid out. However, I don't see any other way.

So can anyone shed some light on this subject? If I am to do this via the reservoir, should I be putting the cap on every time I pump the clutch several times, or can I leave it open? Has anyone else been successful doing it any other way?

Thanks!
Jason
97 GTS
Hampton Roads, VA

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bleeder is above where the hose enters the bell housing. A 7/16 wrench opens and closes it.

I use my Mityvac with a pointed adapter in the center of the bleed port to **** the fluid through.

Red arrow is bleeder, yellow is obviously pressure hose.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OOHHH!!!! I see now LOL! I would have never guessed that bolt was the bleeder valve!

Thanks a ton for your help, and sorry for posting this thread twice, it was an accident.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder is there's a SpeedBleeder equivalent for the clutch bleeder screw?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would use a device that forces the fluid on the top side. You will get much better results. Promise!

I've always heard that pressure bleeding is better than vacuum bleeding. I have 3 vehicles and they all get serviced by my Mityvac.

I think there's some risk with either way:

Pressure... Do the math. Brake fluid under pressure being forced into plastic parts (your reservoir) not normally subjected to pressure, using more plastic parts.

Vacuum... If anything leaks, its air in to your Mityvac.

Also, pressure bleeding equipment is twice the cost.

I think the main reason "they" say pressure bleeding is better is that in pressure bleeding a mistake results in fluid all over your car. But great brakes. With vacuum bleeding, a mistake results in air in your brakes.

I vacuum bleed and have great brakes. It's how you use your tool, not what kind it is... :cool:

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I've added "bleeding the clutch on a Dodge Viper" to my list of least favorite things to do. I'm not sure if I screwed up when I did it but I loosened the bleeder valve and the fluid came pouring out without even using a vac pump. I went ahead and let it go and poured new fluid in as the reservoir got low until the fuild coming out was clean.

Here's where it got fun... the clutch pedal had no resistance after I got it all back together. It took about 20-minutes of constant pumping of the clutch to regain pressure. All is well now. So did I screw up or is it normal to have these issues when you bleed the clutch?

Thanks again all, I really appreciate the help here.

Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old is your slave? In miles?

That bleeding method can actually work if you never let the reservoir go dry. Just let it run out and replenish from above.

The 20 pumps worries me though. If that was air, not sure where it went. Howz the reservoir level now? Did you have to fill it again after all those pumps? Like, did the air maybe head north to the white plastic bowl with the black lid?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine last week. Not sure that this is the traditional process, but it worked great!
- Use 7/16 open end wrench on clutch bleeder. Bleeder is just above the clutch fluid line on the transmission.
- Attach rubber hose to the bleeder and run into catch can or bottle.
- Have someone pump the clutch a few times and then hold the pedal to the floor.
- Open bleeder with one quick turn and shut quickly
- Pump pedal several times to hold to the floor
- Open bleeder with one quick turn and shut quickly releasing a burst of fluid
- Refil resivoir during process before it is completely empty
- REPEAT PROCESS until fluid is clear
- Top off resivoir and you are done

I went through a large bottle of Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3/4 brake fluid to insure a complete flush and fill. Patience is the key!:2tu:

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the slave is as old as the car, but I only have 36k on the car.

I'm a tad worried about where the air went as well. I did have to fill the reservoir some, which was a good sign, but it is possible that there could be some air trapped in there. If so, I'll have to re-bleed.

My GF took it to work today (I know I know), and am waiting to hear back from her as to whether or not she had any issues.

Edit: GF said the car shifts great, better than it did the last time she drove it. So far so good I guess.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My slave went bad at 17K, '01 GTS. Might be thinking about that on your to-do list.

Try to do a 2 person bleed. Open bleeder, have 2nd person depress pedal, close bleeder, release pedal. Fill reservoir, repeat a bunch of times.

Heck, if the GF can drive it, make her get under there and run the bleeder screw! :D

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, that just doesn't sound right. I clutch slave shouldn't go bad that soon, should it? What does it take to R&R the clutch slave cylinder? That setup is nothing like anything I've seen before, it looks like the tranny has to come out to get to the slave cylinder, is that true? If so, that ***** big time!

I'm going to end up under the car soon anyways, so I may just do that. As for the GF helping me, I trust her with a wrench about as much as I do with a credit card :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tranny has to slid back, but not removed. Not a huge job, but yes, if you think bleeding it is a PITA, then well, changing it will **** beyond your wildest dreams.

As far as the miles goes, they do not last forever.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit I am probably embellishing on how much it sucked, because I have definately had to do worse things on cars.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/ED posted the correct procedure.
like he said, pumping the pedal several(20-30times) each cycle is necessary.