Boards for Jacking

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, I need to jack the front of the car up to pull the wheels. I understand that it takes some boards to do this. Does anyone have a picture of how I need to configure the boards? Is one board enough? (if so, skip the picture :D ) Do I have to nail two 2X's to get a stepping effect to get the car high enough to get a floor jack & jack stands to the frame? Thanks, Dan Ropar

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took a 2x8 that was 12' long, cut it in 4 pieces (3' pieces). I placed one in front of each front tire, drove up about 12 inches, then placed two more boards down (one on each side of course) then drove up on those. That put me a couple inches up and gave me room to put my jack underneath and jack up by the frame rails beneath the radiator area. I used a section of a tire I had cut out and placed it on the jack to provide some protection (and grip) between the frame and jack. Then I put two jack stands at the points underneath the doors.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use 1 / 2x10 cut to the width of the car. But lower profile jacks are the way to go.

4030DSC01072-med.JPG

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not recommend that you make 4 and try to drive up on them at the same time (LOL). I shot the two back ramps about 40 feet down my driveway.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, I will remember that Jeff! I didnt have any wood but I found some carpet samples about 2 foot by 3 foot and put them down slightly layered in steps about 6 or 7 layers thick at the tallest part and drove right up. I have all the wheels off and they go to the shop in the morning. I use those carpet samples for floormats in the SUV in the wintertime. Thanks for the help. Danno :2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope I didn't miss read your Post. You weren't talking about ***** forums were you?

I'm just jerking your chain :)

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andrew, I was a little shocked to hear that you pull out your 2x10 wood...the width of a car (IMPRESSIVE!) and then start jacking. And then to take a picture of it and post it on the internet. Wow. Then again if I lived in Palm Beach and had those kind of stats I would be taking pictures of it also! :nana:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used some 1,2&3foot x 12 inches x 1 inch boards, they stack nice and are not quite the 'bump' that a 2 inch (as in 2 by 4) board is...plus they are wide so it's each to position them.

-J

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not recommend that you make 4 and try to drive up on them at the same time (LOL). I shot the two back ramps about 40 feet down my driveway.

I'll have Darwin "shoot" out your R.S.V.P shortly :p

It's easy, just be careful. With the jack I had, I needed at least 3" of extra clearance to clear the under lip to access the frame.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Andrew that pallet jack ALWAYS comes in handy around the house and garage when working on the Viper!
LOL!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson