Bolt, inner fender headlight access panel

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I tried searching for the parts list and couldn't find it. :dunno: These are the plastic bolts with thumb screw tops on them that hold the inner front fender panel ... 6 of them on each side, the ones you unscrew by hand to get to the back of the headlight enclosure.

OK, so now you should know what I'm talking about. Has anyone figured out a good replacement for these bolts and attached nuts? One side on my car is fine and the bolts go in and out easily. The other side feels like the bolts are about to shear (probably been cross threaded or stressed at some time in their life). I'm hoping for a nice looking replacement or idea for their replacement. Anybody found a metal bolt with something like a wing-nut on the end?

I know that I could just use a common bolt and washer, but it would really look bad. Somebody PLEASE give me a contact or link to a site where I can replace the plastic ones that Dodge blessed us with.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The retainer from the dealer is a marked up part at $10 a piece .It's a joke. The thread size in the steel insert that's you must keep is 1/4 x 20 pitch. This insert is mild steel instead of stainless ,so it can corrode from road salt and moisture.When corrosion builds it seizes up the plastic reatainer and it will twist off upon trying to unscrew.Of course ,applying antiseize originally it wouldn't happen ;).
I'd ditch the plastic reatainer idea , re-tap all the inserts and find a suitable size stainless steel allan bolt/washer combo.Make sure to apply antiseize on the threads because of dissimilar metals . It would have been a simple solution for Chrysler to just use plastic pin clips [ GM Fender Mud Skirt Push-Type Retainer,
saving cost and weight too :lmao:

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, that gives me an idea! I bought a bunch of push pin fasteners for my sport bike that I'm not going to use. I'm going to see if they fit in the hole correctly.

Leslie, I am looking for replacements for the ones that have what looks like a knob on the end for gripping between your thumb and first finger. Open your hood and look at the part of the inner fender that comes off to get to the headlights.

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the one you are referring to (upper left of picture)...I got tired of it not holding so I tapped it and it's no longer an issue...

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the one you are referring to (upper left of picture)...I got tired of it not holding so I tapped it and it's no longer an issue...

You must be registered for see images

That's the one. So you just ran a tap into it? I wasn't sure if there was enough material to hold.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a tap that was a little larger than the hole that is already there. I'm pretty sure it was a 5/16" - 18NC tap. It was a little tricky as the hole is in the bend of the frame.