Borla catback dyno

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to believe the heat did you in on the Borla runs. I can't conceive of a way a larger exhaust downstream of the catalytic converters could cause a loss in midrange power. In my many dyno runs, I've found my '01 to be quite heat-sensitive, and I've had plenty of <400 HP runs when I didn't let the car get cool between runs and/or didn't have a fan running.

I suspect you'll find same or slightly elevated power levels once you dyno with a fan in similar temperatures. Of course, what you really need are some Belanger headers and 3" high-flow cats; see my Viper mods page for details.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for you off roaders..........
I recommend Borla sportsman mufflers in place of cats.
3" inlet,3" outlet 3 1/2 " diameter 14 " long
used on midget racers. distinctive roar!!!!!!!!!!

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
I've got to believe the heat did you in on the Borla runs. I can't conceive of a way a larger exhaust downstream of the catalytic converters could cause a loss in midrange power. In my many dyno runs, I've found my '01 to be quite heat-sensitive, and I've had plenty of &lt;400 HP runs when I didn't let the car get cool between runs and/or didn't have a fan running.

I suspect you'll find same or slightly elevated power levels once you dyno with a fan in similar temperatures. Of course, what you really need are some Belanger headers and 3" high-flow cats; see my Viper mods page for details.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben do you like your Belangers headers better than your CDI headers?

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger vs CDI: I like the *sound* of the Belangers much better. The CDI headers make the car sound like the world's biggest, meanest Honda Civic -- very raspy when you hit the gas. However, the CDI headers appear to make better power on modified cars. Once Wayne finishes installing and dynoing his CDI headers on his otherwise bolt-on car, we'll know how they compare to Belanger headers.

The Fluidyne radiator was actually a misstep as I tried to fix a cooling problem which ended up being a faulty water pump. However, I'm glad I installed it -- the car now keeps cool while moving regarless of the outside temps. I'll give it a true stress test next month when I go road-racing at Buttonwillow; stay tuned for results.

Regarding modified cars -- the 600HP Viper is head-and-shoulders a better street car than the 700HP Supra because of the tractibility of the powerband and the Viper's superior chassis. On the Supra, you had your choice of lag or wheelspin through 70 mph; in the Viper you have instant-on power and traction to match at any speed. On the racetrack, the Supra needed better brakes and more tires, but would have been a monster if I'd gone that route. Viper racetrack impressions will be forthcoming, but I expect it'll be a fantastic track car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS