Borla Header question !

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have the older 17078 Borla headers exhaust system on their car? They were for GTS's and were one of the first set made by Borla. Borla discontinued these a while ago and have their current design. I have a friend that has a 98 GTS and bought a set pretty cheap. So cheap I want to know what is wrong with them. The collectors are sort of weird. Bad design or?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have a problem with fit on the passenger side. When I installed them on my 96 RT/10 I had to "modify" things. Also I got rid of the flex pipe turnout pipe in favor of a solid 4" mandral bent one. If you look inside the flex pipe, you'll see how bad the design is.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 R/T 10

So how did they work for you ? Did you like them ? How much of a horsepower gain can he expect. He is also doing Harlan sharp roller rockers. Other than that it's pretty much stock.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember , those Borlas are 1 5/8". They are fine if he doesn't plan to go to NOS or a S/C. Otherwise get the 1 3/4". Like I said, they may need to be modified, and I also had to notch the frame too to make these work. I did not dyno before and after, but I like how they sounded. Always got great comments on that car :2tu: . I have heard the Borla headers had a problem of cracking where the tubes all weld together, but mine did not crack. The collector gasket did fail once though. I would definitley get rid of the flex pipe/collector. I cut the flange off and made my own collector/turnout. Good luck. :usa:

Reaction score
I had a set, and they were perfectly fine. Very loud. You might want to get them hi temp coated to cut down on the heat in the engine compartment, as the heat shields will not fit. As far as the issue of the header hitting on the right frame, you will need to simply add or remove a shim from the right motor mount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang