Both cars same HP but higher TQ Who is faster?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend just did H&C on his 01 Z06 he put down 432HP and 390TQ. I have 437HP and 480TQ. Last time I raced H&C 417HP Vette I took him by a few cars. Do you think I have a good chance. I want to run him. Would my 90RWTQ help me?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he has the same area under the curve, then you are even. You don't give any values other than peak numbers. I'm betting that you have more area under the curve. He may have given up some low end power to match your peak hp numbers. I would say that his peak hp must be at a higher rpm than yours, since his peak torque is so much lower.
That being said, I'm at a disadvantage here since I don't know what H&C is.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO you should lose to that H&C Z06 given equal drivers. He has 300 lb weight advantage plus better gearing to 100 MPH than your Viper does. I would predict he will put 2-3 cars on you by 100 MPH. HP is a function of TQ so once the cars are in their RPM band the higher HP car should win. Good luck

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post both dyno graphs but I would definately put my money on your car. The Vette's hp throughout the rpm range has got to drastically lower and a race from a roll is when your Viper will kill him. I agree with 1bad, get a good launch or you may get bowtied!

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock Viper, he's got H&C......I'd place money on the Z06 if you gotta ask and it's on a track. If you can pull a decent 60' time you might stand a chance but I really think that's where you'll lose and play catch up the rest of the way. I would also bet if you both get a decent run you can pass him by the end of the traps.

If it's on the street and you roll off on the start....your torque should pull him. LS1/6 are a little weak on the bottom end anyway. He probably didn't gain anything there but he probably didn't lose anything either.

Try it....what have you got to lose? If you win, you win...If you lose....hell....he's got heads and cam........cheating b*stard
wink.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too close to call.

Probably will go to the guy who can shift a high HP car w/o going sideways in 1-2 shift.

If you powershift either car, you will probably lite the tires.

On the other hand if you granny shift, and the other guy has got some good shifting techniques down, you should lose.

Since F1 is going to automatics, the handwriting is on the wall.

Even the drag racers do not use conventional manual shift transmissions or shifting methods.

I guess 6-speeds are nostalgia based...

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a simillar car and easly took him by a few cars so I'm not scared. The other time before few of my mods I raced a car with the same setup and he took me by a car but he had upgaded gears plus I had 200LBS passanger.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so when he was 417 HP you got him by 2 cars?

OK.

Got to Doug's website and get the ET based on 417 HP in a 3200 lb car.

It is 11.49 sec.

Get the ET based on 432 HP

It is 11.36 sec.

The difference is .13 seconds.

Assuming an average trap speed of 120 mph, that is 176 ft/sec.

.13 x 176 = 23 feet.

With 16' per car, you should beat him by 1/2 car.

FYI on 100 mph muscle cars, an alternator kill switch was worth an honest fender (!)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allanlambo:
i think you may be in trouble.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allen, I don't think I have seen anybody on here as negative toward Vipers as you. If I were to post that I was racing a Snapper 5 horsepower I believe you would think I was in trouble too. ta

edit..latest by Allen: wouldnt necassarily agree with the statement that a viper looks a whole lot better than a porsche turbo. both are very cool cars, especially in yellow !

Atleast you did give the Viper a little plug...surprise

Hotwax, I will have to check the torque at the chassis dyno
laugh.gif

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other regular C5 in that thread with H/C (heads and cam), 3.90 gears, and drag radials (but with 40HP/10TQ less) did 11.69@119MPH.

So I'd say it will be close, and it will depend more on who hooks up, and shifts best rather than the extra weight vs. extra torque issue, which is roughly a wash.

I think that it will be a close call to make.

-Dean.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1tony1,
i think i lend a very unbiased opinion towards vipers since i dont own one. they are a very cool car but i like all types of cars, the viper is just one of them. so when someone puts down another mark that i personally like, i defend it.

i dont see how i was being negative towards the viper. in my opinion, when 2 cars have similar hp, are similarly geared for 1/4 mile racing and one weighs approximately 200pds less, 2 competent drivers...well the viper may be in trouble.

not like im sitting around bashing the car, just because its a viper doesnt mean its going to win, and someone saying a porsche is ugly doesnt mean i cant say otherwise.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentelmen,

Let me speak from experience. My 460 RWHP and 512 TQ VS 440RWHP and 390 TQ on a '01 ZO6. Me 11.78 121 mph him 11.74 122 mph. The gearing is what got me every time I would pull on him for the first 60' after that his mean first gear would kick in he would get about half a car legth ahead of me and stay that way all the way doen the track. I would like to think of us both being moderetely good drivers so Adam watch out he may get ya.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GONABITE:
Gentelmen,

Let me speak from experience. The gearing is what got me every time I would pull on him for the first 60' after that his mean first gear would kick in...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you running stock gearing?

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,

Yes that was with the 3:07 recentely installed 3:45 have not beeen to the track as of yet.