Bought a used Viper, with an unpleasant surprise!!!!

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys. Something happend the other day and I want to know what you guys think about this whole situation. As some may know, I recently purchased a used, 2004 SRT-10 with 5500 miles on it. Before I purchased the car, I got a carfax on it and within the 5500 miles, there was only one service session on the car which, stated by the carfax, was "Exhuast system serviced" @ 250 miles. So, I did not think that was a big deal and went ahead with the purchase.

The other day I took my car to Dick Scott Dodge (Awesome service along with awesome people) to get my RT high flow cats installed, and I was informed that the mounting for the cat on the passenger side was missing, and it would be recommended to get one prior to driving my car. No big deal, I told them to order it and install it. So, thinking back to the carfax, I am assuming that when they did the exahust service @ 250 miles, some tech forgot to put the mounting back on. Ok, still no biggie thus far.

Now, here is where it IS a big deal. I was also informed by the service manager, after entering in my vin in his computer system, that at 250 miles, the computer stated "Engine complete". I asked him what he thought this meant, and he said "It looks like you got a new motor installed at 250 miles". Carfax never stated anything about "Engine complete" NOR DID THE DEALER when I bought this car. Carfax ONLY stated "Exhaust system serviced" at 250 miles and NOTHING else. So, my questions are:

1) Do you guys think the motor was actually replaced?
2) How big of a deal is this, if it is?
3) Is the dealer that I purchased the vehicle from required to disclose this information prior to my purchase? In other words, are they at fault?

Thanks guy. Appreciate all the help.

Fadi

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the last dealer you talked to is probably mistaken because why would the engine be replaced after only 250 miles unless some type of natural disaster messed up the car. And I'm guessing the dealer would have to disclose something like this since it is pretty big!!

mikescg

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i believe the dealer would only have to disclose this if they were in fact the original selling dealer, or if the car was a factory buyback car situation, if you purchased the car from a secondary dealer then i do not believe they have to disclose previous repairs, this may vary by state

i would also think that if you feel confident with the dealer that you are having the car serviced at now, have them give it a good mechanical once over and then drive and enjoy the car!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, that only tells you if the complete engine was replaced. Not if major work was done.

Sent you a PM.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you guys this. Is the dealer obligated to disclose that kind of information prior to purchase?

Ron, thanks a lot. Sent you a PM back.

This is frustrating.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No because they could just deny knowing unless they are the ones that put the new engine in. It is just like when someone is buying a used car and come to find out it was in an accident. They hardly ever tell you.

As for carfax, it is not fullproof by far! My car is always in the shop because I like it to be perfect. Since ownership it must have been there about 30 times but Carfax only shows about 8. Not shocking plus the mileage is always off and sometimes the dates are too. Weird!

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, got some good news. Just found out that the engine was replaced on warranty - the stated reason was the Recall D19.

I did not know that there was a recall on the 04's, but now I do and I am glad mine was taken care of (and hopefully all of your 04's were also).

Thanks to all for the help and support. A very big thanks to Ron.

Fadi

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does anyone know what the recall code D19 represents exactly? Just curious.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the vin? About two months ago there was a black 04 srt that ran through the auction here in chicago with an arrow rebuild. Same mileage, sold for 48500.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the vin? About two months ago there was a black 04 srt that ran through the auction here in chicago with an arrow rebuild. Same mileage, sold for 48500.

My car was auctioned over a year ago, not a few months ago. i am assuming you are talking about a different car.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just looking at a 2004 SRT/10 yesterday, and I noticed the valve covers had a lot of grease on them. The car has 3,700 miles on it and two previous owners. Wonder if it's engine was changed, and how you could you check it?

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just looking at a 2004 SRT/10 yesterday, and I noticed the valve covers had a lot of grease on them. The car has 3,700 miles on it and two previous owners. Wonder if it's engine was changed, and how you could you check it?

Ya, good question. How do we know if the engine was changed or if the engine was simply fixed?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Dan said... very easy, just look at the VIN on the motor. It will be the same as your car's VIN if it is the original motor.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dealer would have all the info. The dealership registry shows everything ever done to the car while under warranty at least. It should be able to tell you everything. Only downside is you have to either know the dealer so they can do this favor for you or buy the car from them. You know how it is what is it in for them.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GO buy a new car, and these worries dissappear

Whether the car was bought new or used is irrelevant. The car had a recall, which means the original car had a defect. This was corrected by the manufacturer.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it's any comfort to you a new or rebuilt motor(done by Arrow Racing Engines) will be far stronger and have better tolerences than a motor assembled at CAAP

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax never stated anything about "Engine complete" NOR DID THE DEALER when I bought this car. Carfax ONLY stated "Exhaust system serviced" at 250 miles and NOTHING else. So, my questions are:

From the Michigan Automobile Dealer Association (Mada):

What are the regulations on damage disclosure?

"Dealers must disclose damage to the consumer if the amount exceeds 5 percent of the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or $750 for surface coating repairs, corrosion restoration or a combination of the two. The disclosure must be made before the consumer signs the RD-108."

This dealer was OBLIGATED to tell me about this, and they did not. A new engine is well beyond 5% of the sticker price. Stay tuned for an update.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not gonna work. Warranty or recall work is not "damage."

Doubt you are going to convince anyone that the engine is a surface coating (read paint) or corrosion restoration (read rust through).

As I told you privately Carfax cannot tell you of warranty work as they are not informed of warranty work.

If you buy a used car and you have a good relationship with a dealer, they can check the warranty history for you. But before you buy. Afterwords it is buyers remorse and nothing more. Sorry.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not gonna work. Warranty or recall work is not "damage."

Doubt you are going to convince anyone that the engine is a surface coating (read paint) or corrosion restoration (read rust through).

As I told you privately Carfax cannot tell you of warranty work as they are not informed of warranty work.

If you buy a used car and you have a good relationship with a dealer, they can check the warranty history for you. But before you buy. Afterwords it is buyers remorse and nothing more. Sorry.

Ron, I forgot to mention a very important thing.

I spoke to a Dodge customer representative today that was able to go into some VIP system. I was told that my car was built in December of 2003. The recalls (D19) were done through January 31st, 2004. This means that the engine in this (my) car had already gotten the recall work done. The engine was replaced in March, 2004, which is AFTER the end date of the recalls. The engine was replaced by DCX (They repurchased the car from the customer) due to damages. I was also told that legally, it is my right to know about that. Well, I was never informed of anything verablly or on paper (which what really counts).

Bottom line is, legally it was my right to be informed about this since it was a damage to the car, and I was not.

I do have the entire conversation recorded that I had with the representative today.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jimmycrackcorn, what a ***** you are for making such a response. the guy is asking for help. if you cant provide any then ****.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi,

Because it was a repurchase, you have some recourse if you chose to exercise it. However, it sounds like you have everything under control.

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GO buy a new car, and these worries dissappear

Whether the car was bought new or used is irrelevant. The car had a recall, which means the original car had a defect. This was corrected by the manufacturer.

Irrelevant? At least he would know if it was done. Duh lol

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jimmycrackcorn, what a ***** you are for making such a response. the guy is asking for help. if you cant provide any then ****.

And this is helping, your pedantic attempt at a inane diatribe aimed at me?
I did give him help, go buy a new car and you wont have the questions. People get cheap and its costs them

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go crawl back under the rock you came out of man. so now you are saying they guy was being "cheap" because he decided to pick up a used one instead of a brand new one. seriously how old are you 12. and how do you know your new coupe puts out the #'s claimed in your sig. lets see your dyno sheets posted for that run. or are you a poser. with so much money you can just wipe your hole with it. ever think maybe thats all he could afford at the time. i see you're going to make friends around here real well with your attitude. so go steal someone elses dyno results and post them up as yours to back that sig. POSER. and put away the thesaurus while you're at it.better yet just go back to the alley. oh yeah , i forgot , they dont like you over there either. hmmmm wonder why.

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a service Director for a Dodge dealer in Maryland. If you have any questions as to what work has been done then pm me your vin and I can look up your service history. Every repair gives a very small category/description of what was done. It also has a labor opeation number which I can look up and tell you the exact repair. Just thought I would help.

Eddie