Bought a used Viper, with an unpleasant surprise!!!!

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was a recall and an early dec '03 it may have been the valve recall

Out of curiosity, can Dodge put a whole new engine in due to a recall?

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was a recall and an early dec '03 it may have been the valve recall

Out of curiosity, can Dodge put a whole new engine in due to a recall?

If it was an early dec '03 (2004 model) it would have been the cam-bolt Technical Service Bulletin. Mine was included (but not affected). If memory serves me correctly:

Loose bolt was known to unscrew, initially resulting in damage to the valve train (dealer replaced valves?). If bolt completely unscrewed, it would drop in the motor (new motor).

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edretti: What is this D19 recall? I own a 2004 should I be worried? thanks

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oops, sorry, missed page two.
How do you know what month your car was built? is it embedded in the VIN? thanks

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi I hope you get this all squared away... take that dodge service director up on his offer and see exactly what was done to the car and why.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the final word after intensive research.

The D19 recalls apply to all cars that have a build date through January 31st, 2004. Since my car was built in December of 2003, it obviously needed to get the recall work done.

Looking at the VIP history of the car, there is NO SHOWING of any recall work done at all, even prior to the new motor that was installed by DCX. On March 2nd, 2004, DCX repurchased the car and put a whole new motor in the car. So, why would they put a whole new motor in the car, especially when the recall repair link provided above for code D19 stated "The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts must be tightened to the proper specification"?? Well, that is because the original owner never got the D19 recall done on the car, and the motor failed. Thus, DCX replaced it.

The motor failing is a damage, and by the Michigan Automobile Dealer Association (MADA), a dealer is obligated to inform the buyer of any damages that are worth 5% of the MSRP of the car. Well, we all know that the Viper motor is well beyond 5% of the msrp, yet, nothing was disclosed to me at the time of the purchase.

Also, there appears to be some kind of an odometer fraud (I guess you can call it that). Since the engine was replaced at 250 miles, that would mean that the engine actually has 250 less miles than what the odometer advertises on the day of purchase. On the odometer sheet, it stated 5501 miles, but it should have been 5501-250.

So, there you have it. I am going to speak to the dealer on Monday, and tell them I don't want this car and demand a refund. If they don't comply, I will take this matter to court. I will be looking to get into another Viper.

Thanks for all the help, and I will keep you all updated.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi I hope you get this all squared away... take that dodge service director up on his offer and see exactly what was done to the car and why.

Thanks man.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The D19 recalls apply to all cars that have a build date through January 31st, 2004. Since my car was built in December of 2003, it obviously needed to get the recall work done.

Looking at the VIP history of the car, there is NO SHOWING of any recall work done at all, even prior to the new motor that was installed by DCX. On March 2nd, 2004, DCX repurchased the car and put a whole new motor in the car. So, why would they put a whole new motor in the car, especially when the recall repair link provided above for code D19 stated "The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts must be tightened to the proper specification"?? Well, that is because the original owner never got the D19 recall done on the car, and the motor failed. Thus, DCX replaced it.

The motor failing is a damage, and by the Michigan Automobile Dealer Association (MADA), a dealer is obligated to inform the buyer of any damages that are worth 5% of the MSRP of the car. Well, we all know that the Viper motor is well beyond 5% of the msrp, yet, nothing was disclosed to me at the time of the purchase.

Also, there appears to be some kind of an odometer fraud (I guess you can call it that). Since the engine was replaced at 250 miles, that would mean that the engine actually has 250 less miles than what the odometer advertises on the day of purchase. On the odometer sheet, it stated 5501 miles, but it should have been 5501-250.

So, there you have it. I am going to speak to the dealer on Monday, and tell them I don't want this car and demand a refund. If they don't comply, I will take this matter to court. I will be looking to get into another Viper.

Up to you, of course, but you might want to rethink this. My 03 had the valve recall when Steve owned it, and while they were doing the valve work, they threw in porting and polishing, and the engine came out with better tolerances, more horsepower and torque per the dyno runs, and was bulletproof.

Many engines that were replaced were replaced with Arrow built engines which by all accounts are excellent, better than new from stock. You might want to find out if your engine is an Arrow engine, which I believe makes your car better, and possibly your resale later.

But then, I'm a Testarossa driver, so what would I know? :usa:

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Up to you, of course, but you might want to rethink this. My 03 had the valve recall when Steve owned it, and while they were doing the valve work, they threw in porting and polishing, and the engine came out with better tolerances, more horsepower and torque per the dyno runs, and was bulletproof.

Many engines that were replaced were replaced with Arrow built engines which by all accounts are excellent, better than new from stock. You might want to find out if your engine is an Arrow engine, which I believe makes your car better, and possibly your resale later.

But then, I'm a Testarossa driver, so what would I know? :usa:

Is there any way I am able to find out if the engine that is replaced is an Arrow rebuild or not? How can I tell?

As far as dyno, my car did 437/475 stock, so notihng out of the ordinary

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The odometer, by LAW, reflects the mileage on the car and not the engine. Where did you get that line???

As to disclosure, I am not aware of requirements for a buy-back if it is not the first repurchase. But the requirement you stated above was clearly intended for body or paint damage for cars sold as new. Read it again. Doesn't apply to your "damage" or to a used car.

You are sounding more and more like a person with buyers remorse. If so sell it and take your lumps. If not move on. You bought a used car with over 5000 miles on it. That had the engine replaced 5000 miles ago. The warranty history was available when you bought it (meaning the dealer could have shown you the warranty history if you asked).

In the end I feel for you but I do not agree with your legal perspective. Maybe if you hire Feiger!

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree w/ GR8ASP. 1st, odometer disclosure applies to vehicle, not the engine. Car could of had 100 engines, and odometer is that the vehicle itself has travelled. 2nd, disclosure applies to damage (i.e. accident), not recall or manufacturer replacements. I could be wrong, but I dont believe you have a legal leg to stand on. While definitely questionably moral if the dealer knew of the replacement, I dont think he was legally required to disclose it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with both of the above. Sounds bad, but the fact that you finally found a dealer willing to let you drive the car may have been a clue.

The fact that parts are missing on the car (cat hangers)though, gives you recourse from a safety stand point.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, I never questioned the "cat hanger" angle. What the heck are they? I have replaced my exhaust and do not recall having a cat hanger.

There are 2 exhaust mounts on each side. Maybe that is what they meant.

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is, what are you trying to achieve. If you want to reurn the car , then based on all this info it would probably happen. If you don't, then this whole thread is useless banter. not to be rude. Just drive it like you stole it and then if it breaks- go talk to the dealer who sold it to you. My .02

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax does not show everything. There was an 04 that ran through auction today that was disclosed as a lemon law car and carfax clearly showed the lemon law buyback. However a few months ago there was another car I watched at auction that was a buyback for engine rebuild that carfax showed no problem. In fact carfax still showed the original owner.

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to all for lack of reply from last week. Been out of town. Pm's have been sent.

Eddie

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the deal! What happened, all this dialogue about your rights, blah, blah, blah. I see your interested in a blower now, did you decide to forget about it or what?

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the deal! What happened, all this dialogue about your rights, blah, blah, blah. I see your interested in a blower now, did you decide to forget about it or what?

Did not forget about it. The blower will be going on my new Viper, the one I get after I win this court case and get a refund (Atleast, according to my lawyer)

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not gonna work. Warranty or recall work is not "damage."

Doubt you are going to convince anyone that the engine is a surface coating (read paint) or corrosion restoration (read rust through).

As I told you privately Carfax cannot tell you of warranty work as they are not informed of warranty work.

If you buy a used car and you have a good relationship with a dealer, they can check the warranty history for you. But before you buy. Afterwords it is buyers remorse and nothing more. Sorry.

Quick update:

The dealer, by law, HAD TO DISCLOSE to me that it was indeed a factory buyback, REGARDLESS if they knew or not. If they did not know, that is their problem, not mine.

After two months of dealing with the dealer and lawyer, I returned the car today and got a full refund...:)

Now, it is time to go car shopping again. This is the fun part..:)

Thanks everyone for the help/input.

Fadi

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems you won the battle, congrats. Interesting comment about dealing with the lawyer. Not familiar with how these deals work. You got the full refund, did the lawyer take a big chunk of it?

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems you won the battle, congrats. Interesting comment about dealing with the lawyer. Not familiar with how these deals work. You got the full refund, did the lawyer take a big chunk of it?

The lawyer took $1,500 from me initially, which I will get back within the next week from him. So ultimately, nothing came out of my pocket and I was still able to return the car with a full refund..:) (the refund being the downpayment I put on the car at the beginning of the purchase and the loan off my name)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...plus you got the use of a Viper for "free" for many months (less gas/maintenance/insurance..etc). Not sure how to compute the lost value of your time/aggrevation...but what the hey, pretty good outcome given the **** sandwiche that you had to eat.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...plus you got the use of a Viper for "free" for many months (less gas/maintenance/insurance..etc). Not sure how to compute the lost value of your time/aggrevation...but what the hey, pretty good outcome given the **** sandwiche that you had to eat.

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960