Bouncing HID

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the R&J HIDs (Pilots) in the GTS. After referencing helpful threads on ballast placement, reversing the polarity etc., they were an easy install. :laugh:

However, my driver's side headlight now "shakes" quite a bit at idle. It's not the actual headlight housing but rather the vibration affecting the light cone. I'm sure my lumpy cam isn't helping the issue. Has anyone else encountered this after an HID install? If so, was there any fix for this? :confused:

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try swapping sides to see if it's the HID itself or not.

Good luck,
Alex

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my R&J's. I am not sure if its the light bulb or the housing bouncing. I tried to put some foam under the housing to see if the additional weight added to the housing from the ballast being mounted to the back caused it.

It helped some. Let me know what you figure out.

Andy

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think its the normal nature of HIDS - I've driven many factory cars
with the same issue.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driver side bounces- but that is because I didn't tighten the back headlight bolt. I was lazy and figured the other 3 would prevent any movement.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack, but has anyone ever replaced the stock beam projector with one actually designed for a HID bulb, (i.e. sharper light cutoff and better light projection?)

As far as the headlight shaking, you are going to have to take your bumper off and tighten all of the mounting screws for the headlight. I had a similar problem and almost lost the shims under one mounting point when the bolt worked itself loose.

DrDJ

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, did ya get this figured out ???

Not yet. I figured I'd wait for some of the replies. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I won't be able to look at it closely again until Wednesday. Fortunately my bumper is still off from when I recently had it resprayed. It only seems to be a problem on the driver's side - which leads me to believe that it's correctable. I'm going to start with the tip on tightening the entire headlight assembly... :laugh:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another idea might be to turn the bulb 90 or 180 degrees. I do not remember if it can be done but its one more thing you can rule out.

Andy

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally had time to get back to the HID issue. I tightened up all fasteners securing the headlight housing. That helped a bit.

Now for the :bonker: part. I had not re-attached the piece of the wheel well that you have to take off in order to access the rear cover of the headlight. This is important because it creates a structural bridge to the other two pieces of the wheel well. <DUH> And with the wheel well integrity restored, much less engine vibration transmitted to the headlight housing. Additionally, I had ordered new OEM plastic bolts from Chuck T. which helped in securing.

Not perfect, but much much better. :laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather