Braille - Deka lightweight batteries

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I was looking for a recommendation for a light weight battery, and obviously the first battery that usually comes up is Braille. Did a little bit of research about them, as I need a battery. Now, it's been rumored, and is widely believed that Braille batteries are actually made for them by Deka. Which, if you look on Deka's website they have a series of batteries called Sports Power, and you can find a list of batteries that are made for ATV's, motorcycles, watercrafts & snowmobiles ect. Those batteries just happen to have the exact same weights as the Braille batteries, although there are some differences in their specs. Which would lead me to believe that Braille in fact overrates their batteries as Deka is the company that actually makes them, or is believed to make them.

Here are al the Braille - Deka comparisons.

Braille B106 - 6.6 lbs - 210 CCA's - Only recommend for warm weather racing/not recommending for a daily driver as per Braille.
Deka ETX9 - 6.3 lbs - 120 CCA's

Braille B129 - 9.5 lbs - 323 CCA's - In warm & cold weather only recommend for racing or as a motorcycle/chopper battery/not recommended for daily driven car.
Deka ETX12 - 9.4 lbs - 180 CCA's

Braille B14115 - 11.5 lbs - 360 CCA's - In warm & cold weather only recommend for racing or as a motorcycle/chopper battery/not recommended for daily
Deka ETX14 - 12 lbs - 200 CCA's

Braille B2015 - 15 lbs - 425 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in warm conditions (60-120 degrees), recommended as a race only battery for cold conditions (0-59 degrees).
Deka ETX15 - 14 lbs - 210 CCA's
Deka ETX20L - 15.5 lbs - 270 CCA's

^^^Not sure which Deka battery the Braille is modeled after in the 15 lbs range?!?

Braille B2317 & B2317R - 17 lbs - 475 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX16 & ETX16L- 17 lbs - 275 CCA's

^^^Note, these batteries are meant to be used as a set to replace 2 batteries/supply 24V power ect.

Braille B2618 - 18 lbs - 472 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX18L - 18 lbs - 330 CCA's

Braille B3121 - 21 lbs - 550 CCA's - Recommended as a daily driver battery in both warm & cold conditions.
Deka ETX30L - 21.7 lbs - 365 CCA's

Information pulled from the following:
Braille Battery USA
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0278.pdf

Please note the discrepancies in the CCA's... some are pretty far apart, and if the rumors are correct, and Deka makes batteries for Braille, I would tend to believe Deka's CCA ratings over Braille's, as they actually make them/not just rebadge them. Maybe I'm wrong, and the rumors are incorrect, but if not, please keep this in the back of your mind.

I also tried looking for what our OEM batteries are rated for as far as CCA's, and couldn't find a straight answer. The most common answer was anywhere from 330 CCA's to 400 CCA's, which apparently is well below what what most OEM batteries are rated at (between 500-800 CCA's). If someone know the exact CCA rating of our OEM batteries, please let me know.

Chuck stated that 730 cold cranking amps are needed for the Viper.

Lastly, the weight of our stock batteries are around 40lbs so there's definitely some weight to be saved there.

Here is another review of the Braille B3121:
Braille CF battery (20day) review - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

I plan on picking up a Deka ETX30L this spring.

This thread is to help anyone considering picking up a lightweight battery in the future, hope it helps someone. Note that if the rumors are true, that obviously Braille batteries are a good bit more expensive, but also come with terminals, whereas you can save money with a Deka, but will have to buy your own terminals.

Nick

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine for about 5 months now( 21 lb braille battery) in my 97 GTS. So far so good, just make sure to keep a battery tender hooked up to it if your not driving the car more than 10 days..

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 15 pounder will also work. I'm probably going to put the 21 pounder in my Z06, and buy a 15 pounder for the Viper..

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've used the 15 pounder for over a year in my Viper with no problems. I used a lighter Braille battery in a Pantera for 3 years previously. They work great. I bought mine from Luke at Tire Rack. He'll know what size you need. There were some issues mounting the battery in the Viper with the terminals. I forget what I needed to do but I do remember needing different bolts from the wiring harness in the car that the factory bolts. I also needed to do a slight mod to the battery tray to mount the Braille securely using the cool looking Braille mounting kit. I think an hour should take care of the entire project. Pulling the spare tire and changing the battery pulls a quick 50 lbs. or 60lbs. out of the car for cheap.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've have no pics. I think the Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels has a picture. I spoke to Luke there. I think he's extension 263. He's know his stuff. It really is a no brainer putting one of therse things in. I've never had a problem in 2 cars. It looks like a motorcycle battery made of carbon. The bracket is pretty cool too. I took 25bs. off this winter too. It all starts to add up.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
korina said: "I spoke to Luke there. I think he's extension 263. He's know his stuff..."

Actually, Luke's extension is 362 and the number for Tire Rack is
1-888-541-1777

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I had my numbers reversed. Steve is correct. I had the part about Luke knowing his stuff right though.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres a pic of the 21pounder. No need for the aftermarket bracket. The stock tray works fine in the GTS..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Deka came in (ETX18L for $80 shipped).

Instead of buying the terminal adapters online, I stopped by NAPA for them. Total was under $10 vs. ~$40 online. The only thing I had to do was pick up 1" long versions of the bolts that come with the battery to accommodate the adapters.

You must be registered for see images

Nick

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
install pics