Brake cooling ducts

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feeling a bit bored, creative, and restless, so I've decided to install some brake cooling ducts in my car. I have 3" silicon hose, and have eye-balled my route from the side of the radiator. My question is does anyone know of a pre fabricated duct with a 3" hose inlet that mounts to the spindle/knuckle? I could just aim the hose and attach it with ties, but thought it would look a bit more professional if I had a fabricated termination for the hose which directed the air to the center of the rotor.

Any other ideas, or hose routing lessons learned, please let me know. I truly value learning from others' experiences. I searched the archives and found some great brake info, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, thanks. I'll probably try to create my own version of exactly that, perhaps. Had a dance with reality out in the garage, when I realized how exactly how interesting the hose routing would get, to get air from the side of the radiator in the lower front facia. To go underneath, you definately need a slim scoop, as 3" hose hugs the ground quite nicely...
frown.gif

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifter,

I had Archer install a system as pictured above. It works great,however,when you install it make sure that you when you locate the ducting close to the rotor that you turn both wheels as far to the left and right as will allow. I have had to have my system adjusted two or three times because when you turn hard and the car naturally settles forward/down my ducting would rub against the brakes...not only bending the mount,rubbing a hole in the ducting but also making a pretty "raunchy" noise. I don't know whether it was the Archer install or just a characteristic of the system(I understand that Dodge was going to put this on the Viper and then decided not to)?
But it does look good!

Hope this helps,

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,

CStegall

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try opening up a hole in the fenderwell like this. It is right below the hood air extractor and covers the full length and about 1/2 the width - it helped my car a huge amount!
You must be registered for see images

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run my car as fast as anyone in Viper Days Prepared (except Mumford) and do it on stock calipers and rotors. AP600 brake fluid and either Brakeman #3, #4, or PFC 93 pads. These calipers have Ti pistons, but I haven't noticed any difference from the stock aluminum jobs. No boil at 1100+F rotor temps and 420F caliper temps - not even with 5 month old fluid. For time trials and general hard lapping, it is all I need. If you're running W2W extended sessions, you will have problems and require better discs.

My stock calipers look like this:
You must be registered for see images

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS Dean,

Could you please expand on "it helped my car a huge amount!"

How did it help? Better brake cooling, more front downforce?

Thanks.