BRAKE DUST DEFLECTORS?

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard there may be some sort of deflector that can be installed in the wheel well that deflects some of the brake dust from settling all over the car. The dust on the white paint is obvious after each drive anyone heard of a deflector or any other way to manage brake dust?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some racers have installed a plastic air deflector, made for the Porsche turbo's on their front suspension, which pushes undercar air out past the brakes, and out through the wheels. This is done to cool the brakes, but a side effect is much less brake dust on the wheels.

Most tuners on this site can provide them. They can be mounted with wrap ties, or for a really clean install, DC Performance in LA makes a really nice mounting system. Not very expensive, and quiet effective

Do not mount them too low, or they will be torn off if you go over something.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the wheel well deflectors you speak of.

Their purpose is to deflect air around the outside of the wheels while driving, thereby creating a relative vacuum outside the wheel compared to inside the wheel.

This helps draw air through the wheel and aids in cooling the rotors and calipers.

This is all theoretical and I am unaware of any test data but they're inexpensive pieces of plexiglas with holes for the bolts.

I suppose they may help with the brake dust but I can't tell since I burn up a set of pads in a track weekend and there is dust everywhere!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the wheel well deflectors you speak of.

Their purpose is to deflect air around the outside of the wheels while driving, thereby creating a relative vacuum outside the wheel compared to inside the wheel.

This helps draw air through the wheel and aids in cooling the rotors and calipers.

This is all theoretical and I am unaware of any test data but they're inexpensive pieces of plexiglas with holes for the bolts.

I suppose they may help with the brake dust but I can't tell since I burn up a set of pads in a track weekend and there is dust everywhere!

Pictures please.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go

5925air_deflectors_001-med.jpg

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are the Porsche type air deflectors Paul mentions that mount to the lower control arms with zip ties.

I ditched them for the Cone brake ducts.

5925Porsche_air_deflectors-med.jpg

You can see where I got them from.
Use them together with the wheel well deflectors.