Brake fluid flush for idiots!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would share my brake fluid flush that I hit for the first time myself after reading past threads on the procedure with various unanswered questions over the years.

Not that big a deal, would have it down to 20 minutes now, those of us on jacks spend nearly that lining up and getting the car safely in the air and the rims off the car.

Start in rear right, 1 bleeder valve per rear corner. Pull off dust cap and toss on a hose of some sort, for me DC washer hose worked well, used a few foot section. (although black, clear tubing would work better for a visual on when fresh fluid is coming thru).

I had a buddy repeatingly pump the pedal in the car thru a short run of travel (not to the floor putting o rings etc past their regular travel) into a jar that is primed with a touch of new fluid. This to avoid the possibility of air pulling up into the system from the jar when the pedal is returning to the top of travel. With practice this step can be avoided (saving on wasted new fluid) as the first dump into the jar should be enough to provide a base to pull back in slightly on the return.

Regardless simply keep pumping the pedal until clear fluid runs into the jar, on this rear right (most fluid as the master is running out, keep adding fresh as needed at the master).

After done with that corner, bite down the bleeder vavle to 88 inch pounds on a deep socket and move to the other rear, it will not take near as much as the master is now primed with good stuff.

Move to the front after rear left is done. Go front right first, this time with 2 bleeders, hit the inner, then to the outer, then rehit the inner for good measure. Hit the bleeders to 88 inch pounds and move to the front left (closest to the master cylinder) to finish off.

That's all there is to it, I will be flushing a few times a year and after any track event from here on in, not a big deal at all.

I would think the gurus have this down to 10 minutes or so, and I used no bleeding tools.

Thought I would share, a boring read for those that do this trackside, but I am slowly taking over all aspects of maintaining this car.

Next up new clutch..............anyone got a snickers bar?
Can't be that different from Borg T5 in my high school 5.0 days, time will tell!

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we all are a little lazy when it comes down the the dirty, nasty stuff
like brake bleeding. But after you do it your feel good, and wonder what all
the fuss was about. I'm like you, with a few dollars worth of equipment and
an extra hand to pump the brake, I usually opt out of the one-man
stuff I have. I guess it's too easy to fall back on what I grew up with.