Brake fluid recommendations

pony23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, the cold weather is setting in here in CT so it is time to start getting ready for some winter car projects. One of them will be to take off all of the calipers on my 03 and have them powder coated red. I like the red a lot better than my faded black. While they are off I am also going to put in braided lines, do a rotor upgrade, and change out all of the fluid. What do you guys recommend for brake fluid? My driving style is mainly street with maybe a once a year track day. Looking for a good all around one here.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Motul RBF 600. And while you're at it, add a set (two per caliper) of Speedbleeders for plenty of easy, air-free fluid changes for the future.

OP
OP
P

pony23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flexx91, I always looked at the speed bleeders but never pulled the trigger, they are worth spending the money on?? They work that well?

Also, Any guess about how much fluid I will need?

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dot 3 or 4..............Beware "Motul RBF600 is awesome for track use but might be expensive overkill for a daily driver especially when you consider that most racing fluids require more frequent bleeding. Those fluids with high wet boiling points -- which you want -- will attract more water over time but that's not an issue if you bleed your brakes yearly...or live in Arizona.

ATE Super Blue is a cheaper alternative that's longer lasting.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motul or any full blast killer brake fluid like that is stupid for a street driven car. Just a waste.

Any DOT-4 fluid will be sufficient for an occasional track day and aggressive street driving.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Flexx91, I always looked at the speed bleeders but never pulled the trigger, they are worth spending the money on?? They work that well?

Also, Any guess about how much fluid I will need?

They are definitely worth the money. The easiest and most effective fluid flush and bleed I've ever done. Once installed, all you have to do is pump the pedal and watch the reservoir. You can actually watch the fluid level in the reservoir through the windshield while seated. Motul 600 has an amber color which also makes it easier to see the fluid in the reservoir. There is a thread that mentions correct part number so just do a search. You can purchase them from reputable sellers on Ebay for about $12 each for the stainless steel version (I have the stainless steel version).

Just to be safe, make sure you have a small torque wrench (1/4") and tighten to about 80 in-lbs.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ATE Super Blue is a cheaper alternative that's longer lasting.

The manufacturer has stopped shipping Super Blue to retailers due to a conflict with US regulations on the color of brake fluid; however, ATE Typ 200 is the amber colored version of the same formulation; just without the blue dye.

If one doesn't need those higher boiling points; then, I typically choose Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorption) for my other vehicles.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Castrol is over kill for what you are doing . Motul 600 is what you want nothing better for any where near the price and it will last you all season. Its what I run in all my race and street cars. It wont let you down

St.Char

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, the cold weather is setting in here in CT so it is time to start getting ready for some winter car projects. One of them will be to take off all of the calipers on my 03 and have them powder coated red. I like the red a lot better than my faded black. While they are off I am also going to put in braided lines, do a rotor upgrade, and change out all of the fluid. What do you guys recommend for brake fluid? My driving style is mainly street with maybe a once a year track day. Looking for a good all around one here.

I've looked all over for Viper caliper exchange, anyone know where to look? I would like to send in my cores for freshly powder coated ones:D

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..........I don't think he is looking for the most supreme, best fluid on the planet.
Motul 600, Castrol SRF, ATE blue / amber, Brembo sport, and whatever else is out there, is for track use.
Those fluids tend to degrade quicker (which doesn't matter for track cars because we change the fluid a few times per season - at least I do)
For a street car that does 1 day a year, regular DOT 4 would be more suitable.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever boiled their brake fluid while on the track? No worse feeling then entering turn #1 at WSIR and your brake pedal goes to the ground, lucky for me I was a novice at the time and wasn't going as fast as I do now. After that I switched to Catrol SRF at $50 per liter a little pricey but worth the peace of mind. Highest wet boiling point of any brake fluid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang