Brake Lights Staying On

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched and couldn't find an answer, so here goes:

Busted off the plastic birdcage for the clutch pedal for the second time in 6 months, so I decided enough of that! I pulled the seat and lower kick panel off to remove the brake and clutch pedal assembly so I could drill a hole thru the clutch arm and bowtie clip it in (thanks Tom for the help!). That all went well, then put the car back together and the brake lights are stuck on (the plunger on the brake pedal switch is not contacting the plate any longer). I moved the pluger by hand and turned the brake lights off, so the switch still works. I thought I had put it back together correctly, so I am wondering if the plunger is not working correctly now or the pedal assembly is not in the correct position for the brake arm anymore (since the brake switch contact point is pulled away from the switch when I hook up the brake to the master cylinder). Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brake pedal switch is a "one time" thing.
If you moved it with your hand, you'll need to replace it.

I'm going from 05 info. Not 100% on the previous versions.

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brake pedal switch is a "one time" thing.
If you moved it with your hand, you'll need to replace it.

I'm going from 05 info. Not 100% on the previous versions.

Yes, the plunger moved very easy with finger pressure only, but sprung back out when I released it (like it is moving properly, but the plunger is not long enough to reach the striker plate now).

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean, replace the entire switch. :D

You only get to set it one time.
If you move it after that, you need a new switch.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you need a switch at all. I just rebuilt the clutch pedal assembly on my 95 and had the same issue when I put it all back together.

All I did was bend the metal bracket back ever so slightly so that the brake pedal switch is pressed in. The switch appear to work off a normally closed loop and once the pedal is pushed the button is released and the lights come on. If your your lights turn off when you push the switch by hand it is not the switch. Just bend the bracket a little until the switch is pressed in when the pedal is not pressed.

Ed

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you need a switch at all. I just rebuilt the clutch pedal assembly on my 95 and had the same issue when I put it all back together.

All I did was bend the metal bracket back ever so slightly so that the brake pedal switch is pressed in. The switch appear to work off a normally closed loop and once the pedal is pushed the button is released and the lights come on. If your your lights turn off when you push the switch by hand it is not the switch. Just bend the bracket a little until the switch is pressed in when the pedal is not pressed.

Ed

Mine has a pretty good gap for some reason, but I will give that a try first. The situation you described is exactly like mine. I'm just wondering how it gets out of alignment in the first place, I did not remove any of the pedals from the bracket, I just pulled the outer clutch arm off and drilled a hole in that shaft (mine is different than yours since I have adjustable pedals). Thanks-

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric- I'm just going from my time with the wiring for the brake lights to fire up when the line lock goes on.
I got warned a bunch of times about "Don't jack with the plunger!" :D

Sorry, but these are the only shots from my DIY that show the switch:
[media]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/KevanGeier/SRT-10%20Photos/DIY%20articles/line%20lock/P1010355.jpg[/media][media]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/KevanGeier/SRT-10%20Photos/DIY%20articles/line%20lock/P1010354.jpg[/media]I haven't seen the ones for the GenI and GenII vehicles.
They may be different.

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevan,
The truck setup is way different from my 99 gts. As Accelr8 mentioned above, if I can get the plunger to contact the striker plate again, I am all good. Need to do some more investigation since I basically have the car put back together and don't want to take it apart again.

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the striker plates are not adjustable or bendable, so does anyone have any specs on the brake switch (how far the plunger is suppose to stick out, if it is adjustable, etc.)? I test drove it to see if the pedals would readjust after use, but no dice. Any ideas from any Gen II guys would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add a self stick rubber bumper to the striker (ir plunger tip) to make it "taller?"

Excellent idea Tom, I'll pick some up and give it a shot. The clutch arm mod feels great and much more solid compared to the birdcage, thanks again!

firstcolonial

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had your exact same problem after I recently replaced my power brake booster...when I re assembled the brake pedal (clip) the brake light stayed on...drove me nuts. Finally I physically pulled the plunger out with some minor effort. The plunger kind of ratcheted out to full length. After I placed the switch back in it worked good as new.

I hope this may help

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had your exact same problem after I recently replaced my power brake booster...when I re assembled the brake pedal (clip) the brake light stayed on...drove me nuts. Finally I physically pulled the plunger out with some minor effort. The plunger kind of ratcheted out to full length. After I placed the switch back in it worked good as new.

I hope this may help

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :)

This info was perfect, brake lights are all good now!

Quick summary for all: the plunger on the Gen II brake switch is adjustable. If your brake lights are stuck on (and the switch is still working when you push the plunger in manually), do the following (this is with the switch still installed in the car:

- with one hand, press the brake pedal toward the firewall as far as possible.
- with the other hand, use a flat head screwdriver to push the head of the plunger toward the firewall until the plunger contacts the striker plate. Remove the screwdriver.
- release the brake pedal to its normal position. The plunger will self adjust to the correct position for correct brake light operation.

Now I can drive the car again!

firstcolonial

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn I helped someone...now I only need to help 100 more to break even and not feel so guilty from taking eveyones help.

Glad it worked out