Brake lights wont work

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a 2001 RT/10 and the brake lights wont work. I read on here a common problem is the brake light switch. I saw it was fairly inexpensive to get replaced and got it replaced. The brake lights are still out. Can anyone shed some light on some other possibilities on what it could be?

All the brake lights are out but the rear tails work fine when I turn on the headlights.

OP
OP
E

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is at the dealer. The switch is getting power. They just gave me a update saying that there was a fuse out and when they replace the fuse it immediately blows again. So there is a short somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you do any recent (before/during winter) mods? Mess with something like a stereo? Add any after market mods?

If you have a shop manual you may have to copy the wiring diagram and try and look at all the wiring involved and check from there. Electrical gremlins are the worst

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my DodgeDakota. TailLights are on when the lights are on but when i push the brake they do not get brighter and the center one dosn't turn on.

I replaced All the rear lights(the center one was blown), the brake switch, and checked all the fuses.

Still no brake lights:dunno:

OP
OP
E

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been driving it over winter because we dont get snow. No new mods no nothing. When I heard the brake switch was common I was hoping that was it. Looks like I got worst case scenario. I feel for you Dom426H....THIS *****!! Thanks for the responses guys.

OP
OP
E

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright here is a update and want to know everyone's opinion. The short has been found! The short is in the ABS module.
Here are my options. They no longer make the ABS modules so it cant be replaced. There is a place that can repair it for like 850. Getting to the ABS module is a PITA and costly labor wise to get it out. There is a chance that the ABS cant be repaired. So do I just say screw it disconnect the ABS module and become basically a 2000 viper with no ABS and no forged engine? Or get it repaired. Total cost is like 2400. Right now im siting at 600ish. Right now I am thinking screw it and not fix the ABS.

OP
OP
E

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea I was just looking up some used modules. Im thinking of taking it out of the dealership and doing it myself...gives me a project.

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this exact problem with my 2001 RT. The Dealer found a chafed wire. Fixed (at that time under warrentyin 2003). Make sure that you get this troubleshooting on the ABS double checked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32