Brake Upgrade

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my car back last week with upgraded brakes from Ted May, Steve, and Elliot at Valaya Automotive and it is amazing how much better they are from stock. Ted installed a complete Wilwood kit to the car (6 piston front, 4 piston rears), slotted Coleman 2 piece rotors, new master cylinder from Sean Roe, and rear bias valve. I spent some time getting the brake balance right over the weekend (at a closed course track down south....) and the brakes were great, I can bring the car to threshold braking much better, whereas with the stock setup, once they lock, I have a hard time getting them to unlock again. The rear brakes are actually doing some work now (there is actually brake dust on the rear) whereas on the stock setup, there was hardly ever any brake dust.

I don't have actual numbers for the stopping differences, but I feel its worth it from the confidence these brakes bring.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolf,

How was the peddle feel with the new brakes? Did you notice if you had to press harder on the brake (i.e. closer to the floor) with the new set up?

Thanks,

Will

OP
OP
W

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will,

Currently is a little lower than the stock setup, this gives me better feel for the brakes and makes it a little easier to modulate.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year Viper do you have.
confused.gif

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What pads did you install?
Do you opentrack the car?
Did you upgrade all rotors or just the fronts? and why did you choose a slotted rotor?
And the damage to the wallet was?

Thanks!

OP
OP
W

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,

I have a 2000 GTS. Actually we've private e-mailed back and forth a while back regarding the Hennessey bodywork. Decided to go with stock. Congradulations on your 650R!

Eric,

I Hawk Autocross compound pads.
Nope haven't opentracked the car yet.
I chose to upgrade all 4 corners of the car, heard too many issues with people who upgrade just the fronts.
Actually, Ted chose the slotted rotors for me, its to allow for a place to escape for the gases that come from the pads when they are in use. Do not get cross drill rotors, they weaken the rotor too much for the weight of the Vipers.

The damage to the wallet was around 5K, including parts and labor.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolf,

I wonder why Ted chose your brake set up over that of StopTech (which I believe he has endorsed in the past). I like the fact that the Wilwood kit has a 6 piston front (I believe StopTech only has 4). And the price certainly isn't bad. I would love to see Ted chime in as to why he went with Wilwood over StopTech. I am also looking in to upgrading my brakes.

Will

OP
OP
W

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warchie,

You'll have to call Ted on that one, when I talked to him about
brakes, he didn't mention Stoptech.

Members online

Forum statistics