brakes

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took the baby out yesterday... couldn't friggin wait any longer.. had good weather in cincy... got my first warning!

anyway, have a question. the brakes seem a bit touchy. initially i shrugged it off as a bit of rust, but i quickly got it off... then they just seemed to pull a bit. my brake fluid is clear and i am going to have it changed out by my tech as i've never changed it myself... it is a 2000 w/ 14,600 miles on it.. do i need new pad/rotors??? i don't think the rotors are warped or anything. it just feels like steel on steel almost. i've only had it for 2 months and is the first viper i've ever driven and man am i obsessed. any help on what it may be if anything at all or if i should just get new pads.. i did a search and i want be tracking it much so if you think i do need new pads, i would probably just get stock pads (ie. it will be mostly a street car - 99% of the time). sorry to ramble, one more quick ?... if i do change the pads, does it make sense to go ahead and change the rotors too? i'm definitely going to have the brake fluid change so i can baseline... thx viper kingdom and thx you dodge for an a$$ kickin car! yesssssssssssss!!!!!!!

:2tu: :headbang: :usa:

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EBS greens pads. do a search and find many vendors who sell them. Good news is you'll lose a lot of dust.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the EBC greens too that I got from Parts Rack. Less dust. Need to scuff the rotors when changing, don't need to remove calipers, very easy job.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the EBC greens too that I got from Parts Rack. Less dust. Need to scuff the rotors when changing, don't need to remove calipers, very easy job.

Andy, I'm getting ready to change my pads to EBC Greens. You say you didn't have to remove the rear calipers. How did you manage to twist in the pistons without removing the calipers?

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since you're changing pads you might as well pull the rotors and have them turned. Most any place can turn rotors fairly cheaply. I know Pep Boys charge $8 if you bring the rotor to them, I'm guessing a true auto shop would charge about the same. I was going to do mine myself but couldn't get the bolts loose and didn't have jack stands or anything to get the car high enoguh and stable to really put force onthe bolts so I took it to my local shop. They charged $75 to pull the rotors, turn them and put the new pads I had already bough on.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've experienced something similar with, known good, stock rotors and pads when the weather was cold and dry. The first several stops gave a sound and feel exactly like metal on metal. Once they warmed up, everything was OK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewViperz