Break pads: Is there a good compromise?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock 01 screeched to each stop as if DC forgot to put on brake pads. Could not have been worse if they made the rotors out of chalkboard and the pads out of chalk.

I switched to EBC greens, and ahhhhhh, quiet.

I put SRT calipers on the front with Brakeman 3s, and moved the Gen 2 fronts to the rears with the stock pads (presumably to match the BM3s.). The screech is back, but not as bad as stock.

So, what to do? The car is mainly a garage queen, but I do intend to take it to the track once in a while. I could stick with the BM3s and stock for track use, and get new EBCs for the streets. But what a PITA to switch pads just for an afternoon at the track. Any good compromise that I don't know about for mostly quiet street use, but OK for a few laps at the track?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Sorry. I don't know if there is a compromise. I run EBC greens on my street Viper and drive a little less spiritedly. That's my compromise.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawk HP+ has been good on my other cars for track use - they are not the at quiet though but streetable
I'm not sure if Hawk makes those pads for the Viper

BTW, your spellcheck didn't catch your title error ;)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I may make a suggestion, try the EBC Reds. They "feel" like an OEM pad, stop like an OEM pad, are as dustless as an EBC Green, and quiet to top it off. They are trackable if you arent too ********, but they wont last all that long. We have been installing Reds on almost all cars that come through needing pads for hard-core street driving or Auto-X, have not had a single complaint.

Another more "middle of the road" compromise is the EBC Yellow. They are totally track worthy and streetable, still less dust then OEM, but by no means a "dustless" pad.

We have EBC Reds in stock, as always.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the main compromise choice is between sub-optimizing brake functionality and sub-optimizing time.

There really is no pad that is great for the track and screetchless/dustless on the street. You can find some that strike the righ balance for you (the above suggestions are good).

Or, you can select the best quiet/clean pad for the street and get the Hawk HPs for the track.....and of course change 'em out once in a while. Truly, by the second or third time you change front pads, it'll only take you 20 minutes to complete the whole operation.

just my $0.02

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a few people reccomend Brakeman #3 pads.. does anyone have any experience with these?? any screeching or dust problems???

Thanks

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current EBC greens are not much different from stock pads. The formula changed. EBC reds are better than stock & have much less dust.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, use Brakeman on the track as well. When I am lazy and do not change them back the squeal is a daily reminder to get off my backside and change them out. Great track pad - poor street pad.

For the street I find the OEM pad the best compromise with dust the most significant shortcoming. I have not tried the newer EBC greens. Earlier version were low dust and terrible cold temp braking.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Walker- Exactly the feedback I have received from everyone else, not including my own experience on my own SRT.

GR8 ASP- the new Reds are nothing like the old greens. They are the best of both worlds.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have EBC reds on my car, with little to no dust and no squeak. I have stoptech two piece rotors and ss lines as well, and find that with this combo my stopping power is greatly improved over the OEM.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there is NO comparison but I put Hawk Ceramics on a Mini Cooper and have low dust and no squeak. I put old Greens on my Viper and have low dust no squeak. I put new Greens on my dads Viper and they are almost worst dust than OEM. I used a 3M resurfacer on rotors so they are all equal.

I wonder how a ceramic pad would work on street Vipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang