Burp no more or overheating fixed

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in Phoenix I seem to always be fighting an overheating problem on my 96 GTS. I have an aluminum radiator & the 99 fan. I would go a while without overheating and then it would start. I found I kept getting air build-up over time in the cooling system (maybe hot spots in the engine block) particularly after some hard running. Since I have Keith Verges bleeders it was no big deal to keep bleeding the system, but this gets old. Especially if you are out for the evening when the car lets you know it is time for a burp. Fortunately while reading Carroll Smith's 'Engineer to Win' I found a solution on page 170. There he describes running tubes from several high points in race car cooling systems to the header tank. I promptly went out to my Viper and removed the schrader valves from my Verges bleeders, attached 3/8" hose to them and tee'd them into the header tank where the bleed hose from the top of the radiator enters the header tank. Since then (2 months ago) I have not had a heating problem or had to burp the system. I am waiting for the ultimate test when I take it to the track here at the end of Sept.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed the air bleeders from Keith Verges and they work great. I have a '94 RT/10 so I am very careful about potential overheating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude