Buttonwillow Vipers days

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check this forum out if you get a chance and see just how much fun alot of us West coast guys had at the Viper Days event. Intresting reading!!!

http://opentrackracing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

Oh No, we didn't have fun. We had a blast. The friendly smack talk--The bottle of "Go Fast Pills" I found on my dash board on Sunday morning (compilments of Redsled) . The competition and great friends I got to hang out with and JD and myself running in the Arrive and drive Comp Coupe--What an unbelievable car.
Courtney and Skip, and Tracy and Tom and anyone else I forgot--GREAT JOB!

Joe B (Winner of Prepared class Again) 01

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
This was my first Viper Days, but will certainly not be my last. I drove the just-repaired FLYG LOW up from San Diego to Buttonwillow Raceway with wife Camille on Friday afternoon. Did the Tech Inspection on arrival to avoid the rush, and had Archer Racing replace my brake fluid with better stuff. Just seeing all the race-prepared Vipers (including two comp coupes), and enthusiastic owners was worth the trip. We went to the hotel and a nice Viper Days Reception.

Saturday started early with a 7am track tour, drivers meeting, then classroom for the beginners. Then my first 30-min track session, with ride-along instructor. Bob talked me through the turns and techniques. After another class (while the faster cars ran), we were out again with a transponder that recorded lap times. We had a great lunch, then another class and two more track sessons. Buttonwillow raceway is a great track, with lots of room for mistakes. There was a huge mud puddle at the end of a 90 mph straight that encouraged a well executed left 90 degree turn onto the main straightaway. The variety of the turns was wonderful. Saturday night was a delicious, high-energy banquet.

Sunday started early again, and included two more classes and four track sessons. I went out without the instructor on session two, then took wife Camille with me on sesson three. To my surprise, she liked it and stayed out the entire 30-minute session. With the excellent instruction, my technique continued to improve, and the lap times steadily dropped. It was great to watch the faster sessions when we weren't driving, including the Viper Racing League cars that qualified, then raced each day. All the drivers, mechanics, and support staff were friendly and helpful. The day ended with an awards ceremony. I even got a very classey medal for third place in the stock class (Thanks Bob and Skip!).

FLYG LOW came through the weekend without a scratch, but even more appreciated by her owner. You really need to see your car in her true element, perfectly balanced in a sweeping right turn at 90 mph, tires howling and engine near redline, with other Vipers ahead and behind. Suddenly the car is more than just a pretty face -- it all makes sense!

I only wish I had done Viper Days two months earlier, because this weekend I learned at least four things that would have prevented my freeway rain spinout and center divider encounter six weeks ago. Thank you to the Viper Days staff and all my fellow drivers. It was a hoot!

Still smiling,
Curt

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Phil, I'm gonna print your post, and give it to my insurance company. These events really reduce liability exposure for the underwriter, not increase it.

WAR-Bean counters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spirit_R