Buying a 1993 Viper HELP

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pirelli make a tire, but from what I have seen they **** on a Viper!

93 Viper's have the same head gasket issue.

You should make sure you have all the history on the car like owners, service and car-fax. If you have a good dealer to work with you should run the Vin # and see what kind of reported history the car has with Dodge.

If you get those things done you should be more than happy. Welcome to the 93 family. I bought mine new and still smile every time I hit the gas!

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe all the Gen I Vipers (92-96 RT/10's) were susceptible to the head gasket problem. Not all Gen I cars developed the problem, however. It would be well worth having a Viper tech or trusted mechanic check your prospective purchase for antifreeze leaks on the block. You may still be able to purchase a Chrysler extended used car warranty on this car.

Assuming your prospective car still has the stock 17-inch wheels, Tire Rack lists a P-Zero in the 335x35x17 size. However, with the current price war going on with Michelin Pilot Sports, I don't know why you'd buy Pirelli's. If the car still has the original XGT's, Pilot Sports will make a big difference in the ride.

Jay Herbert wrote a great article on Buying a User Viper. I can't find it on this board. Maybe someone will post a link to it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how long you have been looking and how much you know so I hope you don't take this wrong. Viper prices have been changing quite a bit. You might save yourself some money if you tell the guys on this board what your deal is. How much? From dealer/private? What shape/miles? What extras, tops, mods? Do you plan to "fix it up"?
Don't be shy, spill it. There's a world of Viper advice here to help you if you want it.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the guy is a liar....Not only does it have a head gasket prob, but cylinders may shift. Vipermed and I just replaced my engine because the cylinder sleaves shifted. Get a Gen2 if possible.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd:
The seller told me the head gasket wasn't a problem in the 92/93...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful. Either he is not telling you the truth or he is not as knowledgeable as he should be. Unfortunately, the '93 Viper is prone to have the infamous head gasket problem. Jon B. of PartsRack correctly states, "ask not if, but when the gaskets will fail". As was noted, the cylinders can shift as well (thanks to a Lamborghini design flaw). Just be sure to follow the advise posted above and you will do fine. Also, if you can hold out for another year, you may see the older Gen II Vipers fall into your price range. This plan would take care of 99.5% of your head gasket worries.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head gaskets are a $2000.00 issue. It may be a way to negotiate price. Seems like a fair price. Have you seen the car? Very important. Check the rims for curb rash. Hood for cracks near the nose. Make sure the tranny shifts without any extra effort. With the top off, check all 4 points that secure the top for damage (tops have been known to blow off). With the soft top on when driving, check the fit on the front rail. Some tops lift and rain gets in. Check tires - Make sure they are all the same, check tread wear (gen 1 tires are a $1400 issue). Get down on your hands and knees and check the rockers for damage. If the dealer will not let you test drive the car, ride in the passenger seat. Speaking from experience. The car is out of warrantee and you can not get one for a 93. If you buy it I am confident that you will enjoy it. Just trying to educate you so you know the car you are buying.
Good luck!

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anecdotally, I have a 21,000 mile '93 that I bought new 9 years ago. No head gasket problems thus far.

I wonder how many head gasket/Arrow jobs have been done to the 5,000 plus '92-96 Vipers out there. The percentage better be pretty high, otherwise the few vocal head gasket problems and those who join them are not exactly doing we Gen I owners any favors in the Viper Nation.

Check leakdown on the car and whether the cooling system holds pressure and then don't worry too much about it.

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like everyone has stated, the headgasket issue IS a concern for all GEN I cars. Granted some may fair better than others, but if he told you the 92/93s did not have these issues, he's not telling you the truth. I have a 93 and just had the gaskets replaced under warranty a few months ago. Have a Viper tech go over the car thoroughly. If the car isnt under warranty and needs the gaskets, then maybe you can factor that into the equation. Good luck.

btw, i wasnt too impressed with the Pirelli P-Zeros which i had on my car. I just put on some Michelin Pilot Sports this week but havent had a chance to take her out yet...its freezing/icy over here!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for a better deal. I just don't see a 93 Viper, even with low miles, being worth $34.5k. That's a price it would have brought a year ago.
The head gasket "problem" is the same for all gen1 Vipers. The guy might not be telling you a lie. He just might not have been exposed to the standard line about the head gasket problem that you get on this board. All that being said, it is a real problem, I'm just not so sure it is going to happen to each person that owns a gen1 at any time, you and I might get lucky.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 Viper 47,*** miles on it. Head gaskets replaced at 20K. No other problems. Just enjoy!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd:
The seller told me the head gasket wasn't a problem in the 92/93... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word: WRONG !!!!!!

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 with 32k miles. No head gasket issues. I doubt this is a 100% issue, as many other local owners have not experienced it. Especially '95 and '96. Anyone know what head, block or gasket changes occurred during Gen I that would impact the failure rate?

Plus, if you do your own gasket installation, it is far from a $2000 repair.

One thing for all current owners to remember - talking down the value of any Viper will ultimately reduce the value of your own. We are a relatively small owner body and should work together to maintain the value of our cars. All of them - Gen I, Gen II and now Gen III.

OP
OP
S

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 has 17,000 miles and I am the original owner, and as of yet I have had no issues with the head gasket, but I do expect it to occur in the future. I must add that over 8,000 of those miles have been logged at track events.

And Todd, whoever told you it is not an issue is just plain lying or else knows nothing about Vipers!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd...the guys above are right. Look for a gen 2 car. I had the 290something RT/10 made. I had it for 18 months. I had a top sucked off by a semi on the interstate. The gaskets were a nightmare. The car was in the shop for almost a total of nine months(three months with the engine back in Detroit at DC) and Dodge bought it back as a lemon. I have had no problems with either the 1997 or 2001 GTSs that I have owned.

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pjb Sorry to read about your gasket problem. I guess that $50.00 warrenty paid for itself many times over. You are going to love your new tires. I couldn't believe the way my new car handled compared to those P Zeros. I still love those wheels. Dave

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look for a better deal. I just don't see a 93 Viper, even with low miles, being worth $34.5k. That's a price it would have brought a year ago.

Where are people getting the best deals on used Vipers?? I have been looking around for the right deal for a while now. Got my heart set on green/tan or yellow/tan. Everything that I find is either trash or gold. Like the green/tan one here http://www.fitzgeraldmotorsports.com/Viper/frame_showroom.html
But, at $45,900 I'm on the sidelines for another year. Are guys actually getting that much or is the price very negotiable? I know the color choices limit the number of cars but if it was me selling a unique color I know darn well I wouldn't get an extra $ out of it. Any suggestions? Wait until spring?

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIRD:
pjb Sorry to read about your gasket problem. I guess that $50.00 warrenty paid for itself many times over. You are going to love your new tires. I couldn't believe the way my new car handled compared to those P Zeros. I still love those wheels. Dave

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dave -&gt; absolutely true about the warranty...and then some! figured id have it done during the winter months rather than when the weather gets nice out. couldnt get any traction with those pirellis, so hopefully the sports are as good as you say. wheels definitely get a ton of compliments, but i think the exhaust is getting LOUDER. im going deaf with the ht and all the windows on
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960