buying a 1998 gts from florida this week need advice

bmw1952

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im new to the viper scene and goning to purchase my first viper gts 1998 red with silver stripes with 36k miles on it. im from new jersey and going to fly down this week gave deposit already. the car looks amazing and has red leather inserts corsa exhaust and fluyidine aluminum radiator and fan, ram air intake, and short throw shifter. the car has a bilstien suspension on it and sits really low and aggressive. im very excited just what do u guys think with these mods on it and miles. also the guy originally wanted 45k and i offered 40k and to ship it for 1000. he eventually agreed so i left him a deposit. he just purchased the mamba viper and needs to let it go. also on the weekend i went to a local guy who is a fanatic with vipers. he had the 2001 gts with 17000 miles and red and silver no mods original. has the larger rims and bought the car off the viper president of new jersey back in 2001. he new his stuff and was very helpfull. he also had in his garage the srt 10 special edition with red and silver stripes like the old want better thought. his 2001 was spottless and babied. he was asking 52k with a warranty to 2009 but i cant afford over 46k have to many things going on.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First one sounds like a good deal at 40k. Don't worry about the miles so much if you can see that the car was not abused. I have 33k on my car and it has been just as reliable as any other car I have owned. My personal feelings are if you drive a car occasionally, it is good for it. Cars that have been garage queens usually have problems such as seals drying out, no lubrication through the engine, transmission, etc. I used to see this all the time with airplanes, the ones that flew frequently were reliable, while the ones that sat for long periods of time always had mechanical issues.

The 2001 also sounds like a good deal with an extended warranty, plus you also get ABS.

Good luck in your search, where is the car in Florida? I am sure a local member would be willing to check it out for you. I would also suggest taking the VIN numbers to your local dodge dealer and run the entire history on the car.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The 2001 was MY car, prior to being Rich's car!

Rich is unbelievable at taking care of his Snakes!

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 GTS you will love it imho one of the best "years" ever for a Viper. Good luck and congrats!!!

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this 98 GTS listed on E-Bay also. Sounds like a good deal! I may not be 100% on this, but feel I am 95% sure. He describes the car as one of 11 Red with Silver Striped made in 1998. Looking at the picture I believe this is probably a true Red GTS and the stripes were put on afterward. (Not one of the true 11) You can find out for sure by contacting Chrysler and asking them to send you a copy of the build. It will indicate either one paint code or 2 if it has the stripe. On the other hand you may not even care about this. Just wanted to point this out to you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4