Buying an out of state Viper in California

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Jay Herbert's "Tips on Buying a Viper" he warns of trying to register a low milage out-of-state Viper if living in California. If the car is not California smog certified and has less than 7500 miles I believe he is saying that you cannot register it here. I checked the CA DMV website and that seems to be true. My question is are there 49-state Vipers and California Vipers, or is the Viper a 50-state car? Does this apply to all years? If so I guess us in California would be restricted to buying California Vipers, or 49-state Vipers with over 7500 miles. TIA

Craig

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,

All Vipers are 50 state legal stock. Just make sure the car has the emissions sticker in the engine bay. I haven't heard of anyone having problems registering a low mileage Viper from out of state. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I bought mine new from out of state and had no problems registering it here. You might have to take it to a smog ref to get it smogged because once smog places find out it's less than 7500 miles they will most likely refuse to smog it. But, once the smog ref smogs it, you are in the green and registering it is no problem. You can set up an appointment with a smog ref through the BAR in the phone book.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

2charmed: Bill of Woodhouse Crysler told me the same about 99 and newer being 50 state cars. So I guess I need to look for 97 and 98's with more than 7500 miles, or a 99.

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig, last year I bought a '95 Viper in Florida and had it shipped to Laguna Hills Ca. ( your neighboring city ). I had absolutely no problems registering the car at the Laguna Hills DMV. Just call them and make an appointment. Call me at 949-458-1420 if you want. Tim Bryant.
BTW I had heard all of the rumors you have heard but as I said, it was easy.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal Craig,

Ulysses is right, on the newer cars, I think 99 and newer they
are "50 state" certified. You'll need the window sticker to
convince the DMV though. If the car is older than it needs to
have more than 7,500 miles on it. It is very confusing and the
DMV doesn't seem to have a good grasp on this. I had a 97 with
2700 miles on it and it became a problem to sell it into California.
Good luck,
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo