buying Viper DIECAST on ebay

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I am about ready to give up on buying diecast models. Bought 4 on Ebay last month, 3 out of 4 arrived damaged-parts off, windshields cracked, etc.

Is this to be expected when you buy diecast off of Ebay?

Told one seller and he blamed it on UPS (car wasn't pkg'd well at all), so all I got out of that one was neg feedback for complaining:lmao:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been buying memorabilia lately for my future garage and have been having bad luck too. luckily all of the sellers have made it right somehow.

i love it when UPS or FEDX delivers a box that is CLEARLY DESTROYED and when it is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS that the contents are also destroyed, dont ring the doorbell or anything, drop destroyed box off on the front porch, and take off running. . . . . nice.

1000.vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree. I consider myself a picky collector, and many times items arrive in less then mint condition. It really bugs me when items aren't described properly. Some descriptions say mint when they aren't and others use a nice looking stock photo and send off an item in much worse condition. More times then not, items just aren't packed well. I'll get a hot wheel and a piece of newspaper in a large priority mail box. You gotta love those boxes with an "Item received in damaged condition" sticker! I get about one of those a month.

I just recently discovered the PayPal resolution center which I never used before. It forces sellers to respond as Paypal will get involved if they don't. I've had good results both times I used it. One time I negotiated with the seller to keep the item and get a partial refund and another time I got a full refund when Paypal was unable to contact the seller.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
paypal resolution center? gonna have to try that, thanks.

the last diecast arrived yesterday, GT-R, #91 signed by the drivers. I was really excited to get this one, of course, windshield cracked, hood looks like it came off and rolled around in the box, mirrors, carbon fiber and antenna broken. Packed in a makeshift box 'books'. Go figure

Last edited:

1000.vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, I started the process in My eBay. There is a dispute console at the bottom of the My eBay page. However, eBay forced me to file my claim through paypal, since both times I used paypal to pay for my "problem" items. I assume if you didn't pay with paypal, then eBay will handle the claim but I have never gone that route.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know for $66 that seems really cheap to me to begin with. I had the chance to buy one years ago at a local hobby store (I regret not getting it). After I saw that model, when I went to look on ebay most of them sold for $150 or more!

--RS

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't spot any autographs on the model....
The box has, but they are preprinted.... so nothing special there.

The model is OK BTW....
I might be able to help you out with the cracked windshield problem. Got some good contacts at AutoArt.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a lot of bad transactions as a buyer on Ebay and lots of experience with the Paypal resolution process. The resolution process is not as much help as you might think. Even if Paypal rules in the buyer's favor (i.e. seller misrepresentation, poor packing, etc.) the buyer needs to send the item back to the seller at the buyer's expense. So at the conclusion the buyer will be out return shipping costs which may not be a small amount for a 1/18 scale. If you, the buyer, are sending something back make sure you get a return receipt or delivery confirmation. Even that may not work. I had a very bad experience recently on a Viper wheel that I bought from a California VCA member on ebay. The wheel arrived damaged; the wheel was not insured although I paid for insurance. Paypal ruled in my favor and told me I had to send the wheel back at my expense which was about $35. I got a delivery confirmation from Fed Ex and sent it to Paypal. Paypal refunded my payment although I'm still out $35 and I did nothing wrong. It gets better. The seller (CA VCA member) claimed to Paypal that the wheel I sent back was not the one he sent me. Paypal froze my account looking for me to reimburse them for the credit they had given me. Luckily, the seller (CA VCA member), relisted the wheel on ebay using the same photos of the wheel and box that I had returned to him. Luckily I had taken photos to document the damage and I proved to Paypal that the seller (CA VCA member) was dishonest. My account was eventually unfrozen. I don't know what would have happened if the CA VCA member had not relisted the wheel. I tell you my story just to let you know if someone wants to be dishonest and keep your money, there's not a lot Paypal is going to do for you. Hope it works out for you Leslie.

Terry

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are always dishonest people around.... but in my ebay transactions (over 110) I only met one once.
Ebay has the Feedbackforum to show the experiences for past buyers. If you buy from a seller with 98% positive feedback you're almost always certain you're dealing with a honest seller.

If a seller has few feedback, be aware.....
If a deal looks to perfect to be true, it mostly is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC