Buying Viper

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm new here but I've been watching and reading for about a week. I'm buying myself an RT 10 later this year as a christmas present to myself and I was wondering if you all had any advice for me.

I'm on a limited budget and was wondering if you thought if it was REALLY worth it to scrap together the change to get a Gen II instead of a Gen I? Also...if the opportunity presents itself would you say an older low mileage Gen I is a better deal than a Gen II with higher miles? I'm a lways a little suspicious of these '95's with 3000 miles on them.

Thanks

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 or Gen 2? They are both Viper's. Just less comforts. So its up to you really, and what you expect from your car. But be carefull- it really depends on the condition of the car. There are plenty bad beat up Gen 2's out there too. Extended warranty may be an issue and if so; your limited to 95 and up I think. Good luck!

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the Nike commercial says .... "Just do it". I recommend a Gen II (for warranty reasons) but, either way, be sure to have the car inspected before you buy. Also, do a search on this site regarding buying tips. I promise this car will change your perspective on sports cars. Go for it!
cool.gif

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be selling my Gen1 after VOI7 and have this advice. If you go with a Gen1, it should have had the head gasket issue fixed by an Arrow rebuild. There are some 94's that have D-C warranties that could be as long as another 39 months (March 2005) which is critical. Look long and hard and you CAN find the right car. GenII, more money, but they have more power and integral windows. The windows might not be a big issue if you live in SoCal. Oh, if you get a Gen1, try to get one with after market hardtop and windows. Only having the side curtains that zip closed is a pain as well as only having the fold up top.

good luck, tw

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you a year ago. Ended up with a Gen I car and love it. First thing you need to decide is how you are going to use the car. If it's for weekends and nice days the soft-top and side curtains become less of an issue. If you plan on driving the car often then you would definitely want the Gen II with real windows, hard top, door locks, etc.

The biggest lesson I learned while searching for my car is that mileage is in no way an indicator of condition. I looked at cars with as little as 2,200 miles that were complete trash. Run a Carfax, have a third party inspection done and get service history if possible.

If you'd like to talk for a while send me an e-mail with your phone number.

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm really looking forward to getting the car.

I will be driving it a lot but I currently have an M Roadster and the top is NEVER up, so I'm thinking I wouldnt mind the windows/top of the Gen I. I've got an SUV for the bad weather days.

It'll probably closer to December before I get it but I'll definately be letting you guys know when it happens.

Hopefully everyone wont mind if I occassionally post what might seem like an idiotic question.

Thanks again

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anunakki:
I'm buying myself an RT 10 later this year as a christmas present to myself and I was wondering if you all had any advice for me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That line reminds me of when I bought mine. I was talking to a coworker about being better set finacially after the first of the year and he said "What are you waiting for? Just go buy one now." Two months later I was driving back from Detroit with a mint 98 RT/10.

In debt up to my neck and no regrets.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I would go gen 2 if possible, gen 1 is still good if your on a budget. DO NOT buy a older roadster without A/C. You will be par boiled. They get way hot inside...AL...00PROWLER...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang