BY MANY REQUEST - HOW TO LAUNCH YOUR VIPER DRAG RACING TO OBTAIN 1.6'S 60'

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BY MANY REQUEST - HOW TO LAUNCH YOUR VIPER DRAG RACING TO OBTAIN 1.6\'S 60\'

I have received pm's and many email's asking how I'm able to obtain 1.6's for 60' times
drag racing. I figure I'll just list how I do a run. I by no means say this is
the best or only way to drag race it's just how I do it.

JMO on how to drag race.

To start with, I started racing when I was 16 with a car and 10 with a motorcycle.
As far as shifting that started with the motorcycle and it did help me when I
fisrt started racing my car at 16. I did alot of drag racing up until I was 20,
so yes that makes me 103 now,lol. I didn't race much until I turned 40 and my
wife bought me a used 96 corvette collector edition with the LT4 W/6SPEED, thats
all it took to get me back into it again. I'm on my 4th viper and did race the
others but I was much more of a POSER with the first 3. :D Guess I got tired
of seeing all that power just sitting in my garage getting waxed,lol, with only
a shine in return. Enough of the background.

TIRE PRESSURE ***VERY IMPORTANT*** 24 PSI REAR / 40 PSI FRONT

When pulling up to the staging area to make a run NEVER drive through the water!
Go around it and back up just before you get to it. DO NOT DO A BURNOUT WITH PILOTS
OR RUN FLATS, simply spin the tires just to clean them off.

*** NEVER DRIVE FROM YOUR TACH (NO I'M NOT CRAZY)***

Lets address the tach issue first. When I started drag racing I didn't have a
tach (THANK GOD) which required me to feel when the car needed to be shifted.
NO CAR'S ENGINE IS THE EXACT SAME so if your tach shifting you will really never
get the most out of your car. Tach shifting also requires you to look down before
shifting which takes your eyes and concentration away from the track. I would
HIGHLY SUGGEST putting tape over your tach when learning how to drag race. The
worse that can happen is you will hit the rev limiter and when that happens get
your foot off the gas fast (ONLY A ***** WOULD KEEP HIS FOOT IN IT AND WATCH
IT GO KABOOM). You really need to get the feel of your own car, it takes some
time but it will tell you when to shift. I have never hit the rev limiter in my
2002 rt/10.

OK now after spinning the tires cleaning them off approach the tree slowly, try
to relax a little and don't think about the guy next to you. (run your own race)

At the line stage one light at a time. (thats why you stage slowly) when you light
up the second small stage light it tells the system your a go. If you light both
up at once it gives you no time to get ready. The first light just lets you know
your about a inch away from the start. when ready move forward until the second
light comes on.

Once I have both lights on and the other driver has both his on I start reving
my car VERY LIGHTLY. What I'm really doing is getting my timing together so when
the last yellow comes on THATS WHEN ITS TIME TO GO. At that point at the same time
my foot is coming off the clutch fast ( popping the clutch ) and my other
foot is flooring the gas. ( The car is at low rpm's at the start ) if my tires
start spinning i fade the gas back to compensate for it until it bites and when
it gets traction again I floor it and NEVER TAKE IT OFF THE FLOOR UNTIL I GO
THROUGH THE TRAPS. This takes alot of practice and once you get comfortable with
your car YOU WILL GET BETTER AT IT. I have no idea how guys can take the time and
contration at the line watching the tach and tree at the same time. ( bottom line
it cant be done) You can practice this at most parking lots on the weekends,
business parking lots not shopping centers,lol. YOU WILL BE SURPRIZED WITH YOUR
RESULTS after practicing.

***FAST TIMES REQUIRE SPEED SHIFTING***

For one's who dont know speed shifting is keeping the gas pedal floored while
shifting to the next gear. :shocked: lol. It's not as extreme as it sounds. Alot and i mean
ALOT of guys are scared to do it, they are the easy ones to beat. :2tu:
If you miss a shift when speed shifting just get off the gas fast and if you hear
it hit the rev limiter pryor your still ok as long as your get off the gas ASAP
as in immediatly when it happens. Is there a chance you could BLOW IT UP ? yes
but there is also a chance the sun wont rize tommorrow as well.lol You can learn
how to speed shift without even using the gas pedal and going down the road you
live on. (REALLY) Try speed shifting with the car rolling along at idle. What your
trying to learn is the timing of clutch with shifting.( both have to be VERY fast ) After
you start feeling more confident start giving it some gas when doing
it. Try it at 2500 rpm's so even if you miss a shift nothing happens your just
not in gear,lol.

***IF YOU DONT SPEED SHIFT IT WILL EFFECT YOUR 60' TIMES***

After coming out of the hole (LMAO, THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT) it seems your shifting
to 2nd gear right away. (which you pretty much are) If the car breaks loose stay
in the gas and keep it pointed STRAIGHT, it will hook back up quick. KEEP IT FLOORED :headbang:

Now you have just a little more time to think about your shift to 3rd which doesn't
come as fast as 2nd did.

***MAKE SURE WHEN SHIFTING TO 3RD YOUR MAINLY PUSHING THE SHIFTER WITH THE PALM
OF YOUR HAND, NOT SQUEEZING THE SHIFTER LIKE SHIFTING FROM 1ST TO 2ND***

3rd gear seems to be where most miss a shift, including me. It's the hardest shift
of the race but rather easy once you practiced. Again don't let off the gas when
shifting to 3rd. (YOU CAN DO IT :2tu: )

NOW IS THE MOST RELAXING FUN PART OF THE RACE IF YOU DID EVERYTHING RIGHT TO THIS
POINT. :nana: It seems like time stops waiting for that shift to 4th pryor to the
traps. At this point you are really going fast plus you have the car floored and
still picking up speed. Again just because you will be going around 115 to 120mph
when you shift into 4th DON'T let off the gas. It's a very easy shift from 3rd to
4th. Remember even if you miss the shift you have time to get out of the gas. You will
have to shift into 4th gear pryor to the traps.

*** I SEE NO REASON YOU CANT GET YOUR CARS INTO THE 11'S IF YOU DO THIS ***

I live in Bel Air, MD and race alot at Cecil County Dragway so if you ever want
to hook up and go racing let me know. I will be happy to help anyone who wants some
help in learning how to become a better drag racer. Gen I and II's are 11 second
cars. :2tu:

Again I posted this because I had alot of guys asking me how to launch their cars
so I figured I would just say it once. To the others FLAME ON my flame suit is on,lol.

tom

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: BY MANY REQUEST - HOW TO LAUNCH YOUR VIPER DRAG RACING TO OBTAIN 1.6\'S 60\'

Thanks for the drag racing tips! :laugh:

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: BY MANY REQUEST - HOW TO LAUNCH YOUR VIPER DRAG RACING TO OBTAIN 1.6\'S 60\'

Tom,

So you don't lauch at a steady RPM, like 2000? You rev it slightly, say between 1000 and 2000 RPM and slide the clutch out on the up-swing of the tach?

I think my best 60 ft. in my Viper career thus far is a 1.93 , but for some reason my best pass of 11.7 came from a 2.05 60 ft. Go figure.

Do you know what time the Cecil Vette-Viper shootout gates open on Saturday?

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

So you don't lauch at a steady RPM, like 2000? You rev it slightly, say between 1000 and 2000 RPM and slide the clutch out on the up-swing of the tach?

I think my best 60 ft. in my Viper career thus far is a 1.93 , but for some reason my best pass of 11.7 came from a 2.05 60 ft. Go figure.

Do you know what time the Cecil Vette-Viper shootout gates open on Saturday?

gates open at 8:00am with practice runs from 9-11:30. normally if there are lots
of cars you only get 2 practice runs to dial your car in.

NO I DONT LAUNCH AT A STEADY RPM, thats for automatics,lol. I dont slide the clutch
I pop it.

when you ran your 11.7 with a 60' of 2.05 everything you did from 60 feet on was
perfect. :2tu: could very well had been a record run if you had nailed the
60' in the 1.7's or better, sounds like you know what your doing. If you have
your timeslip from that run please post it.

tom

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wanted: What a great trip down memory lane. Like you I was Drag Racing at 16. I grew up in the muscle car era (I'm 51 yrs old) and was at the track on weekends with my brother and friends. I learned to speed shift early and won many races just due to this as other people were scared to death of it. People wanted to ride with me so they could just watch me shift! AS far as the Tach, I didn't have one for a long time but it got to the point when I was racing other cars with open headers I could not hear my engine (and we didn't have Rev limiters in those days) and the feel was iffy, so I invested in the tach for shifting only, not coming out of the hole. I used pretty much the same method you are using. I gave up racing about 20-25 years ago but enjoy very much driving my Viper and getting to speed shift in it every now and then. Hope others can learn from your experience, me, I enjoyed your trip down memory lane!

A1998 :2tu:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: BY MANY REQUEST - HOW TO LAUNCH YOUR VIPER DRAG RACING TO OBTAIN 1.6\'S

Some interesting stuff in there but is this a typo:

How would speed shifting affect your 60' time? Surely you aren't saying you shift from first to second before you've gone 60 feet?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great tips Tom. Thanks for the edumacation today. How many miles does speed shifting shave off a clutch plate? I'm thinking under normal conditions I can usually get 50,000 miles out of a clutch but with this practice it sounds more like about 500 Heh Heh Heh. Thanks again!!! Dan

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some interesting stuff in there but is this a typo:

How would speed shifting affect your 60' time? Surely you aren't saying you shift from first to second before you've gone 60 feet?

My point is if your not speed shifting you might tend to get out of the gas pryor
to completing 60'. Say your spinning coming out of the hole, revs go up immediately
causing you to shift right away, pryor to 60', if you dont speed shift
you will loose time in the 60'. Hope this makes it clearer.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK this may sound stupid but how do you speed shift? I see that you do not let off the gas, could you explain for those of us that have never speed shifted?

Thanks
Andy

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK this may sound stupid but how do you speed shift? I see that you do not let off the gas, could you explain for those of us that have never speed shifted?

Thanks
Andy

It's shifting with the gas pedal nailed to the floor. The trick is being fast at
it. Basically your shifting with the pedal floored while not increasing your RPM'S. With a regular
shift say going from 1st to 2nd you let off the gas and push in the clutch at the same time then
shift. Now try staying on the gas pushing
in the clutch and shifting letting it back out without increasing RPM'S. Hope
this makes it a little clearer. For practice try doing it at about 2000 rpm's.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is another tip.

Get you car aligned - and ignore Dodge's rear camber specs. When I go drag racing I take my car in to the alignment shop and put about 500lbs (usually find the 2-3 biggest guys there and load them into the back with a full tank of gas) in the trunk and have it aligned such that the rear wheels are completely parallel across the back.

This way when the car squats as you launch you are on the whole tire, not just the insides. This generates a dramatic improvement in launching and 60ft times.

With this type of alignment you can see the larger contact patch on the street as well, the width of the rubber that you lay down at launch is wider. I run the same type of rear wheel alignment autocrossing and the car performs better coming out of turns.

BTW, 1 to 2 no lift shifts over about 700whp results in melted transmission gears.

best,
Dave.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wanted thanks for the info. I will be going out to the track tonight to practice this all. I cant do worase then I did last time 13.001 (inject standard excuses here)

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like in addition to the melted trany gears you're going to have a melted clutch plate as well. Let us know how it goes!

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wanted
I wish you had posted this about two weeks prior. I could have used the help! I entered the Viper Prowler shootout 10 days ago. I did well 2nd but I have a lot to learn. My 60' times are imbearasing! I don't speed shift, but the crowd loved the burnouts on my Pilots! The times won't match up because we are a mile high, and alot slower here, but everyone says 1.80 would be a good 60' here. I'm not even close. Launching around 3000 RPM's after a large burn out = no traction. and 2.2 to 2.4 60' times.
The only thing good I can say is I won every tree, I got a very lucky draw, And I had them all at the end, to the point I back out of every race, including the last one which I shouldn't have.
FYI
here are the slips = http://www.limousine-denver.com/drag-strip.html

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just so you know, "Speed Shifting" or "Power Shifting", although it may better your 1/4 miles ET by as much 2 or 3 tenths of a second, can also damage your drivetrain as you are putting a great deal of impact on the gear you are shifting into along with the driveshaft, rear diff and axles. Wanted is right though, that is how you get the quickest 1/4 mile times, but also know the potential consequences of power shifting. The Viper trannies are strong, but so is the amount of torque the engine produces, this is what puts a shock on the drivetrain...have fun at the track guys!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WANTED FORGOT TO MENTION:

MOVE TO MARYLAND.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WANTED FORGOT TO MENTION:
MOVE TO MARYLAND.

Ummmm.... why? For the heat and humidity? Or for the fast track? I have to tell you, before this deal about the Vette Viper shootout came up a few months ago I had never even heard of this track. Not known for producing fast times.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<font color="blue">My views are in blue </font>

<font color="blue">I agree </font>....... TIRE PRESSURE ***VERY IMPORTANT*** 24 PSI REAR / 40 PSI FRONT

<font color="blue">...........I disagree, heat will make them softer and the burnout is the best part ;) </font>. DO NOT DO A BURNOUT WITH PILOTS

<font color="blue">I agree </font>............. *** NEVER DRIVE FROM YOUR TACH (NO I'M NOT CRAZY)***

<font color="blue">Hitting the rev limiter a few times WILL NOT make it go kaboom </font> ........ (ONLY A ***** WOULD KEEP HIS FOOT IN IT AND WATCH
IT GO KABOOM).

<font color="blue">One inch ???? </font> .......... The first light just lets you know your about a inch away from the start. when ready move forward until the second light comes on.

<font color="blue"> Pro tree rules !!!! See yellow..GO </font>........ so when
the last yellow comes on THATS WHEN ITS TIME TO GO.

<font color="blue">DISAGREE, alot </font>............ ***FAST TIMES REQUIRE SPEED SHIFTING***

<font color="blue">NO WAY. You will not be in second gear before the sixty foot. Videos will prove this. </font> ........... ***IF YOU DONT SPEED SHIFT IT WILL EFFECT YOUR 60' TIMES*** After coming out of the hole (LMAO, THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT) it seems your shifting to 2nd gear right away. (which you pretty much are)

<font color="blue">Newbies SHOULD NOT do this. Crack the throttle and gently roll back into the throttle ESPECIALLY with street tires </font>.......... If the car breaks loose stay in the gas and keep it pointed STRAIGHT, it will hook back up quick. KEEP IT FLOORED :headbang:

<font color="blue">I agree </font>.......... ***MAKE SURE WHEN SHIFTING TO 3RD YOUR MAINLY PUSHING THE SHIFTER WITH THE PALM

<font color="blue">Ok :laugh: </font>.......... To the others FLAME ON my flame suit is on,lol.

tom

<font color="blue">In closing,
1. Most speed shifters would be hitting the rev limiter between shifts. I never have speed shifted and never will....blip the throttle.
2. If the car spins at the second gear shift (likely when speed shifting/w street tires) a lower et might be acheived with a more gentle/no spin second gear shift.
3. Stock/stockish Vipers have been wrecked on the drag strip. If you are not familiar with correcting a car with a lot of wheelspin then learn it slowly before you wreck your car.
4.Tom, you did have a good run and sixty...congrats. Good luck at the V/V shootout.
5. Then again...W.T.F... do I know....I just hang on </font> :shocked:

2837viper_wheelstand_3-med.jpg

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<font color="blue">My views are in blue </font>

<font color="blue">I agree </font>....... TIRE PRESSURE ***VERY IMPORTANT*** 24 PSI REAR / 40 PSI FRONT

<font color="blue">...........I disagree, heat will make them softer and the burnout is the best part ;) </font>. DO NOT DO A BURNOUT WITH PILOTS

<font color="blue">I agree </font>............. *** NEVER DRIVE FROM YOUR TACH (NO I'M NOT CRAZY)***

<font color="blue">Hitting the rev limiter a few times WILL NOT make it go kaboom </font> ........ (ONLY A ***** WOULD KEEP HIS FOOT IN IT AND WATCH
IT GO KABOOM).

<font color="blue">One inch ???? </font> .......... The first light just lets you know your about a inch away from the start. when ready move forward until the second light comes on.

<font color="blue"> Pro tree rules !!!! See yellow..GO </font>........ so when
the last yellow comes on THATS WHEN ITS TIME TO GO.

<font color="blue">DISAGREE, alot </font>............ ***FAST TIMES REQUIRE SPEED SHIFTING***

<font color="blue">NO WAY. You will not be in second gear before the sixty foot. Videos will prove this. </font> ........... ***IF YOU DONT SPEED SHIFT IT WILL EFFECT YOUR 60' TIMES*** After coming out of the hole (LMAO, THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT) it seems your shifting to 2nd gear right away. (which you pretty much are)

<font color="blue">Newbies SHOULD NOT do this. Crack the throttle and gently roll back into the throttle ESPECIALLY with street tires </font>.......... If the car breaks loose stay in the gas and keep it pointed STRAIGHT, it will hook back up quick. KEEP IT FLOORED :headbang:

<font color="blue">I agree </font>.......... ***MAKE SURE WHEN SHIFTING TO 3RD YOUR MAINLY PUSHING THE SHIFTER WITH THE PALM

<font color="blue">Ok :laugh: </font>.......... To the others FLAME ON my flame suit is on,lol.

tom

<font color="blue">In closing,
1. Most speed shifters would be hitting the rev limiter between shifts. I never have speed shifted and never will....blip the throttle.
2. If the car spins at the second gear shift (likely when speed shifting/w street tires) a lower et might be acheived with a more gentle/no spin second gear shift.
3. Stock/stockish Vipers have been wrecked on the drag strip. If you are not familiar with correcting a car with a lot of wheelspin then learn it slowly before you wreck your car.
4.Tom, you did have a good run and sixty...congrats. Good luck at the V/V shootout.
5. Then again...W.T.F... do I know....I just hang on </font> :shocked:

2837viper_wheelstand_3-med.jpg

TONY thanks for adding onto the tread. Like I said it works for me and is not the
only way to drag race. I do feel if rookies try some of the things mentioned it
will help them to become better drag racer's. I'm really glad you mentioned the
tach issue, KEEP EYE'S ON THE TRACK. This post has also shown that drag racing
is not at all easy to do but with practice the average driver can improve their
times by doing little things correctly. :2tu:

LOVE THE PIC :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gotta chime in here:
"...........I disagree, heat will make them softer and the burnout is the best part . DO NOT DO A BURNOUT WITH PILOTS
OR RUN FLATS, simply spin the tires just to clean them off"

Street tires are not like slicks at all, burns outs do not help on street tires. Period. All you do is lose tread depth and essentialy 'liquify' the rubber at the contact patch, making them slip increasing 60' times.

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ASP &amp; Wanted are right. You DO NOT want to do a burnout with any street tire. They will become slippery and gummy. Typically a 2-3 rotation spin is enough to get the dirt and debris off the tires. You don't want to heat them up either. Just want a solid contact patch. Also, if you lower them too much, you actually lose traction as they tend to buckle in the center and you won't get a complete contact patch. There are a lot of great tips here for drag racing, you all just have to take the best ones from each post and use them together. Good Luck.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ASP &amp; Wanted are right. You DO NOT want to do a burnout with any street tire. They will become slippery and gummy. Typically a 2-3 rotation spin is enough to get the dirt and debris off the tires. You don't want to heat them up either. Just want a solid contact patch. Also, if you lower them too much, you actually lose traction as they tend to buckle in the center and you won't get a complete contact patch. There are a lot of great tips here for drag racing, you all just have to take the best ones from each post and use them together. Good Luck.

Did you say they would become gummy ??? Hmmmm ;)
I'm so hurt :D :D
You guys call me when you run quicker then a 10.54 on pilots ;)

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay...from racing for many years, and playing with Vipers since 1993... most of what you said is true except for the power shifting. If you power shift and break loose the tires even for an instance, you have lost time. The key to a good 60 foot time on a Viper is the launch and only the launch. This is where it takes practice. Too much RPM and you spin, to little and you bog (slightly). Clean your tires with a slight burnout, do not heat them up. Come to the line and launch at around 1200-1500 (maybe as high as 1800) depending on track conditions. Each track is different and at what time your on the track versus the last clean up and VHT put down will determine how much RPM you can launch at. When they run the street classes, you would be surprised how much dirt drops from the cars on the starting line, killing your ET due to spin. Thats why in almost every case the better 60 foot times come after the starting line has been cleaned. We (myself and DCX engineers) have found better ET's and that's at all track interval measurements, is achieved when you shift fast, as in a power shift, but not against the floor. You will spin the tires (street tires) even when shifting from 2-3 and 3-4. Do the power shift but lift on the gas (its more tricky with your feet) but its not a slam to the drivetrain. This will get you a better time and also not hurt the drivetrain as much. The word is practice. The 2-3 shift is the critical one in a Viper that most miss. And its true..bouncing against the Rev Limiter a few times is not going to damage the motor, thats why its there. Holding it against the Rev limiter for much more than a few seconds will cause the timing chain to go into resonnace and start doing damage. We saw this on Dyno and thats why the Rev Limiter was lowered from 6250 on the early cars.

Practice Practice Practice

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Practice Practice Practice

That is the best advice there is !!!

DITTO :2tu:

Now guys post those time slips. I am real curious to see if this post has helped
some to achieve better 60' times and 1/4 mile runs.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL :headbang:

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey WANTED,
That's why some of us have 10 second or faster vipers

NOBODY GETS A "W" LIGHT OR CONGRADULATES YOU AFTER 60FT.
:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi