C6 Z06s

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO I have a couple mustang buddies same situation here too. One guy has a new 5.0l and he thinks he will put down 550rwhp with cai, tune, full exhaust, and cams yeah I said 550rwhp.

Hey cool let us know how you do against that C6Z on a street run.(in mexico of course) :2tu:

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my C6 Z06 to go to a viper for the fun factor. The z06 will beat a Gen 1&2 and not sure about the rest. Even thought my GTS is down on power i can fix that plus not have a car i see 20 times a day here in Arizona!

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claims up to 10 hp. I didn't believe it so I put one on each intake tube and got 20hp!!! So then I put one before the tube and one after the tube and got 40hp!!! The next test was obvious, I put one on each exhaust collector. At first they were facing the wrong direction and I lost 20hp. But when I turned them around I actually gained another 40hp for a total of 80hp!!! Apparently there is a bigger benefit when fitted on the exhaust! The company must not know this or they would be advertising it. So I'm gonna write them and maybe I can get royalties. It sure would help to get me out of a Nigerian scam I got caught up in.

I am only going to put on on the drivers side to compensate for the weight of the driver.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Same year, same track, same driver.

Why not comment on the videos I posted showing the fastest possible times for each car. Who cares if it's the same same same, it's easy to lift the throttle when you choose and definitely he knows how to handle a viper better being MOPAR employee. If you're looking through a filter, that's all you'll want to see. Take that filter away and you might be surprised what else you see.

Give both of those cars to a GM test driver and see what the results are.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously? All those video tell me is that "Ranger" is an excellent driver and I have heard about his driving skills. There is no doubt that he is good...check that...great, but it doesn't mean that the gen 4 can't get there or has less potential than a vette. What you fail to realize is statistics don't mean squat when you are racing except for excuses why you should have or could have. Races are never fair and under perfect conditions. I agree, that staistically the zo6 is faster, stock for stock; but please. There are many more factors on the streets than the car or the driver that has much more impact on the outccome than statistics. So the answer the original question, both cars are close enough that the bigger cheater will win the race! if you lost, than the other guy was better at cheating than you!

How many times have you heard a vette or Viper owner for that matter come on here or anywhere else and tell you about how they got beaten? Never! So for evey "i killed a Viper" post, that are just as many the other way.

End of story.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All things being equal in performance the Viper is the car for a real enthusiast or purist. It's a driver's car, it's hand made, it's the better looking car, it's much more rare and exclusive, it's more fun to drive and it has a massive v10 and not an every man v8. Both cars will kick the crap out of cars that are much more expensive, desirable and rare but that doesn't diminish or detract from the appeal of those cars. Cars take on an identity and the buyers decide what cars they want to be identified with.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I agree with both of you but what I'm defending is just the simple point of opinionated bias over factual logic. Like I said before, I have a Viper for a reason...

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Stock Gen IV Viper is faster than a C6Z with headers, intake and tune; I owned both cars. Viper also handles better. I like Vettes, but not as much as my current Viper.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So much bs here....

fastest mph for gen3 is 124
for z06 is 128
for gen 4 is 131

reality is that their are 35k z06s available to drag race
their ar 9k gen3s and 6k gen4s available to drag race
out of those 15k srt10s 10k are convertables that get kicked off many strips after one pass

reality is a gen 3 will run 120 to 122 in the quarter
z06 will run 124 to 126
gen 4 will run 127 to 129

i have raced a c6z06 roughly 50 times in my gen 3 at various power levels.

him stock at 455 rwhp would pull my intake only gen3 at 457 rwhp from 50 to 140 mph everytime by two car lengths

but get this. with both of us modded..him at 490 rwhp and me at 475 rwhp he would get me by a length or we would be door to door or i even got him by a quarter car...yes i have vids...

stock z06 will be humiliated by a stock gen 4...trust me. not even close. z06 is a fast car for 2006 technology though. but gen4s are just insane and even beat the zr1 from what ive seen

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My older brother has a 07 C6Z06 with just an intake(no tune, no headers). I have a bone stock Gen IV and I am looking forward to rolling on against him. I won't lie though, his car "feels" every bit as strong as my car does from the seat of the pants. It is going to be a very close race.

FWIW, I had an 08 Z06 before the Viper with nothing but an intake and it felt the exact same way. Nearly identical.

Hurley1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So much bs here....

fastest mph for gen3 is 124
for z06 is 128
for gen 4 is 131

reality is that their are 35k z06s available to drag race
their ar 9k gen3s and 6k gen4s available to drag race
out of those 15k srt10s 10k are convertables that get kicked off many strips after one pass

reality is a gen 3 will run 120 to 122 in the quarter
z06 will run 124 to 126
gen 4 will run 127 to 129

i have raced a c6z06 roughly 50 times in my gen 3 at various power levels.

him stock at 455 rwhp would pull my intake only gen3 at 457 rwhp from 50 to 140 mph everytime by two car lengths

but get this. with both of us modded..him at 490 rwhp and me at 475 rwhp he would get me by a length or we would be door to door or i even got him by a quarter car...yes i have vids...

stock z06 will be humiliated by a stock gen 4...trust me. not even close. z06 is a fast car for 2006 technology though. but gen4s are just insane and even beat the zr1 from what ive seen

very well said!!! I have owned 2 c6 zo6's. In my last one, few bolt on's I ran CONSISTANT 11.20's @ 128mph on 19" 345 Nitto INVO's. I know for a fact my new to me 04 viper with intake, exhaust only would not touch my old zo6, However I did race a bone stock 2011 zo6 from 50-140 in my intake, exhaust 04 viper and we were dead even...well pretty much my bumper was at his door when we let off at 140.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not comment on the videos I posted showing the fastest possible times for each car. Who cares if it's the same same same, it's easy to lift the throttle when you choose and definitely he knows how to handle a viper better being MOPAR employee. If you're looking through a filter, that's all you'll want to see. Take that filter away and you might be surprised what else you see.

Give both of those cars to a GM test driver and see what the results are.

"Same same same" is a HUGE deal. Track prep, driver skill, elevation, humidity, temp, etc all make a difference in how fast you run. I'm not saying this because I'm a "Viper' guy. I've had Vettes in the past like a lot of people on here have, and the Z is one hell of a car.
Twister brought up some really good points as well regarding how many of each car out there and the fact that a lot of the Gen III's are verts, which makes it even harder to run good at a lot of tracks because of safety regs.
Any time you line up cars with this kind of hp at a track, it's almost always a driver's race. The driver still makes a pretty big difference on highway rolls too. Knowing what RPM to get the best jump from, shifting quick, etc can make the difference in winning and losing.

My neighbor has an '08 (I think) Z and we mess with each other whenever we see each other out. Neither of us is completely stock anymore, but on highway pulls I usually have him by a car or so. Of course, I know to shut down at the top of 4th because as soon as I hit 5th, he'd be coming right by me.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to the poster who said his brothers intake only z06 feels just as fast as his stock gen 4. this is an illusion .

z06 is a small 7.0 being rung out to 7k rpm to make 505 hp.
gen 4 is a monster 8.3 lazily makeing 600 hp at 6500 rpm.

z06 engine note is a beatiful shreak adding to the perception of speed
gen4 is a lazy drone even at wide open throttle dimishing the sense tion of speed

Hurley1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
to the poster who said his brothers intake only z06 feels just as fast as his stock gen 4. this is an illusion .

gen4 is a lazy drone even at wide open throttle dimishing the sense tion of speed

Hey buddy... did you mean to say 8.4L ?????

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I took my gen 4 to the track last night and went [email protected] with a 2.08 60' on my first and only pass(will head back when the conditions are better). My Z06 in slightly better conditions trapped 125.25mph at this same track. The gen 4 appears to be faster, but as I said from having owned both, not by much. I suggest you go drive a C6Z, they are amazing vehicles and pull far harder than you would expect.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that 427 convertible essentially a Z06 ? It's got the motor so I wonder how it compares.

No...it's essentially a grand sport convertible with a 427 in it. GM won't build a convertible with the Z06's aluminum frame.

Also...lots of threads being dug up from the grave right now.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No...it's essentially a grand sport convertible with a 427 in it. GM won't build a convertible with the Z06's aluminum frame.

Also...lots of threads being dug up from the grave right now.

I probably should have googled that first but i did just now and found this...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-reviews

2013 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible
Chevrolet finally builds a Z06 convertible. Almost.

July 2012
BY JARED GALL
MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS

Whatever you do, don’t call the Chevrolet Corvette 427 convertible a Z06 convertible.

Never mind that beneath its carbon-fiber Z06 hood and between what look like the Z06’s carbon-fiber fenders sits the Z06’s dry-sump 7.0-liter V-8 spinning the Z06’s six-speed manual—the only transmission available, just as in the Z06—and directing power to the Z06’s rear axle, which is equipped with the Z06’s available magnetorheological shock absorbers. Chevy refuses to call the 427 droptop a Z06 for a much simpler reason: Beneath its carbon-fiber and balsa-wood-sandwich floor panels—same as the Z06’s—are the steel frame rails of the base Corvette rather than the aluminum pieces at the core of the Z06 and ZR1. Also, engineers insist the Z06 was designed from the ground up to be a coupe and that it wouldn’t take kindly to having its magnesium roof panel simply removed.

But if you consider the 427 to be in every other way a Z06, you’re correct. With the exception of those frame rails, most of the stuff that makes a Z06 is here.

Drives Like One, Too

Not surprisingly, all that Z06 equipment makes the 427 drive a lot like the Z06. First of all, it has the same steering. Immediate doesn’t do it justice. It’s almost twitchy and demands absolute attention—as do the car’s tremendous limits. We recorded 1.06 on the skidpad in a Grand Sport convertible, which hangs one rung below the 427 on the *******-Vette ladder. With the Z06’s brakes also aboard, the 427 stops as if it were grabbing an arresting cable. The last Z06 we tested screeched from 70 mph to a stop in 146 feet.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know....it sits basically between the grand sport vert and the Z06. I still prefer to think of it as being closer in concept to the grand sport.

Still, it's pretty dumb how convoluted the Corvette lineup has become, and it's part of why I didn't buy a Z06. Every time GM comes out with a halo corvette they tell everyone it's unique. Potential buyers see it, decide they must have it, and fork over tons of money. Later, GM uses parts from the halo car on the "lower tiers" of Corvette. The halo car becomes much less special, and it annoys me to no end. They've created TWO models now (Grand Sport and 427 convertible) that are ENTIRELY parts bin cars, and the Z07 package means you can have a Z06 that is basically a ZR1 with an LS7. It's just ridiculous.

Thank you Chrysler/Dodge/SRT for not diluting the Viper like this.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the C7 is out you should be able to pick up a C6 Z06 dirt cheap like the C5's... I'm not a corvette fan nor am I a big convertible fan but I have to say that there was something about that 427 convertible that appealed to me when I saw it at the NY Auto Show.

Yes, I know....it sits basically between the grand sport vert and the Z06. I still prefer to think of it as being closer in concept to the grand sport.

Still, it's pretty dumb how convoluted the Corvette lineup has become, and it's part of why I didn't buy a Z06. Every time GM comes out with a halo corvette they tell everyone it's unique. Potential buyers see it, decide they must have it, and fork over tons of money. Later, GM uses parts from the halo car on the "lower tiers" of Corvette. The halo car becomes much less special, and it annoys me to no end. They've created TWO models now (Grand Sport and 427 convertible) that are ENTIRELY parts bin cars, and the Z07 package means you can have a Z06 that is basically a ZR1 with an LS7. It's just ridiculous.

tom46818

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Z06 Carbon Edition and a 2013 427 convertible, they are not the same cars at all. Yes, they do have the same engine that is where it stops. The Z06 has an all-aluminum frame the 427 convertible has a steel frame. I enjoy both cars for different reasons. Just like I enjoy my 2010 Viper ACR Vooodoo Edition for a different reason. Both Corvettes and Vipers are beasts and as a car enthusiast I never stop smiling when I'm driving either car!

Yes, I will agree they do share some similar parts, yet in the end in my opinion the 427 convertible is not a Z06.

Isn't that 427 convertible essentially a Z06 ? It's got the motor so I wonder how it compares.

Last edited:

tom46818

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No offense, statements like this is why I hate some forums. As a car enthusiast enjoy the car you have and do not pick over someone elses choice.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, statements like this is why I hate some forums. As a car enthusiast enjoy the car you have and do not pick over someone elses choice.

I wouldn't fault anyone for picking a Corvette. I love them to death. I just hate that GM dilutes their (great) halo cars. Z06 owners complain about this all the time.

tom46818

Viper Owner
Reaction score
True not matter what someone will always complain about something! I'm sure Viper owners do the same.

Chrylser/Dodge/SRT and Chevrolet are companies that are in business to make a profit or atleast I hope so! LOL

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No harm no foul on giving buyers lots of choices. You can argue if the premium cars are diluted or the base models are enhanced. Let's face it... Corvettes are not rare or unique to begin with so it gives their fans a chance to buy a somewhat or even totally unique car. If you watch the auctions the Corvettes that have an unusual combination of options are always more desirable.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DUH........they don't make ZO6 convertibles..........:D:rolaugh::lmao::nono::eater:

DUH, I was only kidding, but I am glad you had a chance to laugh at me for no reason. Gee, let's see... First, you got grin proudly, then roll your head, do the fist bang laugh, give me the "no-no" finger, and then eat some popcorn. Sure hope you had fun, but read the posts in context next time.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THe Gen 3 Viper and C6 Z06 are virtually the same horsepower (510 for the Viper, 505 for Z), yet the Viper makes way more torque: 535 lb ft vs 470. So why is the Z faster? I suspect traction issues...it is simply harder to launch the Viper. That's my quess, and gearing. All I know is my 2003 is more than I feel I can safely handle, so it's hard to justify going to a Gen 4.

However, I love the Z06, it is a gorgeous car, and I wouldn't kick one out of my garage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21