CA Cars & Power???

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do CA cars put down less power than other cars? If year matters, then I'm talking about a 1996 GTS.

Thanks!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
While the same mechanically, a 96 California-sold new Viper did have a special California emmission ID that caused some frustration to owners who had purchased out-of-state and had to wait to get registered

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am one of the "lucky" ones to go through the process of bringing a non California car into California - thanks to this site I learned I could purchase a California emmissions sticker from Dodge for a couple of bucks - had a look at where it was located on a CA 96 - slapped it on and surfed tru DMV.

Your 96 and horsepower - your 96 has a more agressive cam than later model Vipers and a tad more horsepower - also has better shocks so will perform better than the later models at the track - excluding ACR's of course

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackSnake:
Do CA cars put down less power than other cars? If year matters, then I'm talking about a 1996 GTS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason is correct. To elaborate:

The HP and mechanicals on 1992-2002 USA Vipers are identical.
Only thae paperwork was different, and then only 1992-1997.

From 1992-1997 Dodge only paid the CA certification for cars being delivered to CA. The CA fee is substantial.

The dealer and customer body griped so much at how hard it was to sell USED Vipers in the demanding CA market, that in 1998 Dodge began building "50-State" certification on all Vipers.