Calgary Viper Event

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

I’ve received several messages asking about this years Calgary Viper Event. Unfortunately I won’t be putting it together this year.

I've been putting together the event for the last 2 years and we really had some good times and did a lot of fun things!

Although the Calgary Viper Event never made the club events schedule, I was intent on growing the event every year. My intention was to expand it, get more people attending and to do even cooler things. I even hoped that, one day, we’d make the Events Schedule!

The reason I’m not doing it this year is pretty basic. I normally select the date based on several things. My availability (of course), the time required to pre-run the driving routes and availability of the race track. This years date wasn’t selected by me, so it doesn’t meet any of my normal criteria. So I’m out for that reason – well… mostly that reason. I guess the good news is that it did make the event schedule.

Anyway, there is an ‘Alberta’ event on the schedule. I don’t see anyway that it’ll involve the race track but since I’m not organizing the event I really have no idea what’s planned. I do hear stories about replicateing our first year Badlands Drive. I know there’re a few of the guide books I put together still out there.

I’d like to thank the folks that did attend the event in years past and despite some terrible weather conditions, I KNOW we had a great time! Truthfully, the drive in the snow last year was epic! We actually passed a working snow plow on the highway. It was fanatastic.

We had several people that drove a long ways to attend the past events – I really appreciated that. I’d especially like to thank Brad – he came the furthest each year. Shawn also drove for many hours. Thanks guys!

I’d also like to thank the good folks at Davenport for letting us use their dyno. We had a great time there and we put up some big numbers. Nice.

I also had some help pre-running the routes and making the track events work as smooth as they did. Additionally, I had personally hired a professional photographer to take pictures at the track – and each of you received at least 2, 8x10’s that I had made up. I paid for that out of pocket, but thanks to Eric the cost was more than reasonable. Even now, if you want some photo’s of you on the track just let me know and I’ll hook you up with Eric. I know that Eric keeps tight records of all his work.

A big thanks to Jim and his family for having the BBQ at his place. His place was perfect for the event.

Basically, a personal thank you to all that helped make the Calgary Viper Events as awesome as they were!

I do wish whomever takes on the event all the best. I learned much and I met some wonderful folks - I’m certain they will too.

Greg

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, a good time was had by all at the events you organized; primarily due to your efforts and the involvment of the participants.

Agreed, it is nice to see an Alberta event make the "schedule".

Even though you're out as organizer, perhaps you can attend some of this years event just as an enthusiastic participant ????

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Greg, thanks for all your past efforts, the run in the Badlands followed by the Dyno runs and then the evening at the track was the best car event I have ever attended. Hope to see you at the track this year.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It's highly unlikely that I'll attend any event that doesn't involve doing what Vipers do best - track stuff. I'm just not a 'wax contest' kind of guy. Many folks talk about how great their cars are - and they are great, but without the track it's all just bluster to me. I can only discuss stripe colours for so long.... That's why the events I put together all revolved around a track event.

I do hope that the format is followed - I really think I had that nailed.

-Launch get together dinner on Sat. night
-Sunday drive (with historic guide books)
-Post drive BBQ
-Monday morning dyno session
-Monday afternoon and evening track time
-Awards ceremony

Anyway, I doubt it'll follow that format - but I still hope it does.

Having said all that, I really did like all the people so if I can, I might join you guys for... something. We'll see.

Thanks again guys, I do appreciate it.

Greg

VIPPY2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;

Not sure where you are coming from; I proposed the Alberta event around a long weekend so some of the BC members could attend; I solicited assitance from ALL of the club members for suggestions on the event; I proposed the agenda from a cross sectioon of comments from the members from previous events, not everyone wants to race their cars; however an informal autocross event usually includes most owners. The cruise thru the badlands was a concept for those that may not have seen the area.
As you well know it is very difficult to please everyone. I was hoping the central Alberta members would step up to offer assistance with the event; at this point I have little response; except for Ron and Bobbie Nichols who have offered to host the saturday night dinner.

I guess I will have to take responsibilty for organizing the event; as it has been posted on the annual events schedule and I do not back away from commitments.

Jim Tait

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem Jim,

There's a fairly large group of Viper owners in Red Deer so I'm pretty sure that you'll have a nice event.

I'm also one of those people that won't race their Viper. I've never raced mine, and I have no intention to do so.

Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21