cam swap question

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who have done a cam swap with the engine in the car: do I have to remove the fan and radiator in order to get the cam out or is it possible to lift the engine enough to clear those things? I'm almost to the point of removing the cam (pretty much everything out except the timing cover), but I don't want to proceed unless I know I don't have to remove anything else.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to remove shroud/fan/radiator. Just loosen (not remove) engine mounts, remove transmission cross member, and tilt the whole thing. The cam slides out and does clear the shroud.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to remove shroud/fan/radiator. Just loosen (not remove) engine mounts, remove transmission cross member, and tilt the whole thing. The cam slides out and does clear the shroud.

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to remove the engine mounts, though, so I can install the Woodhouse mounts :).

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What cam and other mods are you doing? Please post results when you are done.

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What cam and other mods are you doing? Please post results when you are done.

Roe ported and milled heads, 232/236 cam, and Roe TB. Currently have K&N intake, M&M catless headers, and Corsa 3" exhaust with an SCT tune. Car was at 450/490 before those mods and 465/520 after, but the tune and after numbers were done on a Mustang dyno compared to a Dynojet that was used for the before numbers. I plan on using the original dyno for the next tune so I can see what the exact gains are. I'll post a new thread when everything is done (I'm tearing everything down now and starting to buy parts).

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes! Can you post some pictures of the install as well?

I've been taking a few pictures as I progress, but not many. I think I have 3 and the only things I have left to remove are the oil pan, driver's side head, crank pulley and damper, and front timing cover (before I can get to the cam, that is). Anything specific you'd like to see pictures of? I'm amazed at how much easier this cam swap is compared to swapping the cam on my old Corvette ('07 LS2).