Can anyone help diagnose my problem?

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 gts that I recently put a roe on. I initially had a few problems with the fuel pump that finally went bad and is now replaced. Ive driven the car for at least 500-700 miles on the highway and in town without any problems. Last night I got stuck in an accicedent were traffic was at a standstill for around 45 minutes. Well heres the problem; the car sputtered to a stop and wouldnt start back up afterward. I checked all fuses and all were good pulled the plug wires off to see if it was getting fire while my brother tried to start it. No fire at all; ended up having to tow the car home; let it dry out a little today but still the same. Does anyone have any idea what i could check. Just to let you all know the vec light is green. Thanks alot for any help.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The motor turns over and the fuel pump is coming on like it should and is pumping gas but when I would try to put a screwdriver inside the blug wire and ground it out to get it to spark but there was no spark. I hope that helps.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i pulled the hood up that was the vec was the first thing I looked at but it wasnt wet. i dont know about codes because the check engine light isnt on right now. but ill get a tester and check it tomarow.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the Roe over clock (volts) the fuel pump for flow? Could it have went caput? Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to engine run? Do you have fuel pressure? You said the car "sputtered to a stop." That doesn't sound like an electrical failure. They are instantaneous. No sputter, just dead. I've also never been impressed checking spark cranking an engine with the starter, although yes I have done it and have seen it work. Were your headlights AC and/or radio on at the time? As was mentioned in a post above, battery voltage drop? That could have a sputter as she dies effect. The battery slowly going to zilch.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check on the batery voltage when I get home from work this afternoon. Thanks for the ideas keep them coming please.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify my comment above about the lights AC radio etc. maybe having been on, when idling in traffic for 45 minutes the battery could have gone dead just because drain exceeded charge rate. Everything should return to normal when you recharge the battery, assuming if that is even the case, and that the battery was not damaged from being deep cycled.

It has been pointed out many times how important a good fully charged battery is to the Viper.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i understood what you meant about the battery and it maybe discharging due to all the strain on it while just idling in traffic for so long. It is a new battery only about 3 months old and after the car died it still turned the motor over pretty good and kept the flashers flashing. I will check the charge when i get home and thanks again for clarifying.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fist thing!check for computer codes!if no codes,then time to start useing the ol nogin.....

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something happen to me but I have no Roe nor did I find a soluion. Keep us posted please.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it happened to you too. If i find out anything ill be sure to post it.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a long shot should the computer not yield anything like a busted sensor... one or more lifters gone bad, possibly the timing chain as well?
Asking this because a few years ago I had to put a diagnosis on a diesel engined car that also "sputtered" to a stop out of the blue, turns out a seized diesel pump shredded the timing belt and tore every single lifter in half. I only have second hand knowledge about a Viper's engine, but if the usual things like coil packs are good and the turning-over sounds are healthy, fuel pump is providing enough fuel but sparks are nowhere to be found...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VEC is prone to issues if it gets wet, the back of the unit seems more likely to cause the problem. You want to train the harness so that it is lower then connectors. This gives you a drip loop.

Most of your no-start issues will not throw a CEL, a scan tool may show you what the problem is.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finaly pulled the codes from the car. I knew it would have a least one code because I have the relay to the boost a pump powered by the acc. post and the light check engine light would stay on sometimes and not others. Well here are the codes I got:
p505
p0113
p0171

Thank you all again for all the help.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
p0171-1/1 fuel system lean
p0113-intake air temp sensor voltage to high
p505-i couldnt find this one

so will any of these keep the car from srarting?

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That still could be a bad fuel pump? Fuel system lean means something with fuel of course.

Maybe you meant p0505. If so that means "Idle Control System Malfunction"

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think codes themselves keep the car from starting, but they may point to the component that is keeping the car from starting. Have you checked out the fuel pump? You should be able to test for pressure at the intake runner test port.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spark or fuel spark or fuel spark or fuel spark or fuel?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc