Can i change the tranny fluid myself?

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here has changed there own transmission fluid? What kind of fluid do i buy and where do i get it?

OP
OP
S

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the drain plug at? Where do you put the fluid back in at?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are drain and fill plugs in the tranny. Service Manual has detailed drawings / instructions for procedure.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky, easy job. Did it 2 months ago. The drain plug is the one on the bottom tail end (towards the rear of the tranny on the passenger side if I remember). The fill plug is on the driver side up and in middle. You will have to remove that plate the covers the tranny; there are about 12 bolts. Should take about 30 minutes to do. Enjoy.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trans - Mopar from dealer - synthetic, clear fluid (not red dextron) used in current Vipers, need 4 quarts. Easy to do with lift...take off trans skid plate, open drain plug, drain, close, open fill plug, get 3-4 inch tube with OD the same as ID of fill hole, insert in trans and squeeze bottle in other end. This is a little tricky and messy because you need to try to cram the bottle up wherever you can to get it higher than the fill hole. I put almost all 4 quarts in and when I pulled out the tube a bunch leaked out which is good. Just have a funnel ready and wait until it stops, then plug.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky:

do a search for "Viper Fluids", it was a post that appeared several time. It appeared in the first week of May/03. The poster did a very nice job. The amounts and types of fluids are addressed in detail.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky, easy job. Did it 2 months ago. The drain plug is the one on the bottom tail end (towards the rear of the tranny on the passenger side if I remember). The fill plug is on the driver side up and in middle. You will have to remove that plate the covers the tranny; there are about 12 bolts. Should take about 30 minutes to do. Enjoy.

How far back is the drain plug, e.g., in relation to the differential fluid plug on the far back passenger side?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make sure your Viper doesn't have an automatic transmission. The procedures are different for that. FYI. Hope I was helpful and knowledgable.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you fill until it drips? How do you know when it's full? I have never done a manual tranny fluid change but I think it's easier than auto since you don't have to have your engine on, right?

Thanks

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read above, fill until it drips out, have funnel ready, when stops, plug. Do not have engine on.