Can Oil come out of the Dip stick tube if the dipstick is not snapped in

Vanquish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking for a minor oil leak that I seem to be missing. I have had it up to Chuck to replace two Oil lines but I still see a small drip on the floor of my garage. I put the car on the lift and notice that the filter was wet. I dried it and check all the surrounding areas but all is dry. I put the Viper down and noticed that the Dipstick tube was wet and that the Dipstick was not fully snapped into place. Is it possible that while driving the dip stick popes up and causes the oil to shoot out of the hole. I have secured it and put some tape to see if this is where the oil is coming out from. Has anyone ever come across this I have a 96 Viper GTS with 15,000 miles.

Thanks
BR :confused:

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it can has happened on my Gen I car before and It was snapped in just after a really hard run. Never happened on the 01 though.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine blows / looses oil out too, even though the dip stick is "snapped" into place. I have seen several other '97s do it too, (tends to be when driven, ie not crusin')! I had to seal it with an O-ring and tie the handle down with cable ties to stop it.

Must be a problem as I have noticed the 99 year and later ones have a rubber grommet built into the dip stick top to seal it. But, you can't fit the later dip stick, it's of a different length and size!

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1996, 10,000 miles, dipstick was popping up all the time. Cheap fix is to plastic tie it down with a loop. I got sick of the looks so I got a dipstick screw top from Dillusi Motorsports ( about $25.00 ).Easy to install & it never pops up anymore.
Good luck!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can Oil come out of the Dip stick tube if the dipstick is not snapped in

Had the problem too. I got the MGW dip stick attachment. Looks nice and the added weight at the top keeps it down. Only drawback- it's a lot hotter to the touch when the car has been running. $32.

www.mgwltd.com/viper_dipstick_handle.html

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can Oil come out of the Dip stick tube if the dipstick is not snapped in

What is happening is excess blow-by, probably related to ring and/or piston clearances. It is not normal, trying to seal the dipstick is just masking the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog