Can someone explain the viper gts cams to me??

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so im brand new to vipers and have been doing alot of research on them the past week. I discovered that 97 -99s have i think something called a 708 cam. It makes sense that the earlier rt's would have a less aggressive cam cause theyre less hp but i dont get why they call the cams in the 00-02s "cream puff cam". I mean if theyre making the same power how is the cam different? Also do the 96-99s really have like a choppier sound than the 00-02s? thanks

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"96-99 forged motors came with the 708 cam, the term cream-puff was coined for the "00-02 simply due to the non-forged internal and cam profile change.

Last edited:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....and if I remember correctly, the fastest time ever was posted by a 2000 cream puff

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lifters are also different in the 96-99 and 00-02 motors. Main difference between it all is the car idles smoother.

I like my car shaking @ idle.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I rather have a choppy sounding idol as well..I'm still alil confused.so if the 00-02s have a less aggressive cam how do they make the same power?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason, is because they have non forged internals which allows tighter piston to wall clearances. Simply put they have less combustion leakage so they make more power. Also, these engines came with a shorter (lighter piston) and longer rod combination. As far as the cam is concerned, it is slightly smaller in duration, the above mentioned lifter change has a lot to do with the perceived reduction (smoother idle). If sound is a major concern for you, and you have not purchased a vehicle yet, buying an earlier car will be a smarter (slightly less money burned) financial decision. Changing the cam and lifters on a Viper is a very costly process, especially now, when you consider how cheap these cars can be had.

ps.......Idle not Idol, as in American:D

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps they don't. All that matters is that they make at least 450 at the flywheel. Perhaps 1996 ~ 1999 make more and are underrated at 450.

While absolutely not scientific, I ran many a dyno day and on average saw the earlier GENII's having 10 ~ 20 more RWHP then later years stock versus stock same dyno same day.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hypereutectic(cast) pistons are lighter. Aka more efficient making more power. I assume this power is offset by the creampuff cam since a cam with more overlap like the 708 would typically make more power.

Some people could be missled hearing someone say forged motor. The only diff is the pistons, so call it forged pistons or cast pistons or if you want to get technical call em the hyperwhatever...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a reminder, the RT/10 cams/pistons changed at the same time as the GTS.

The only reason to change from cast to forged pistons is if you plan to super or turbocharge the engine as the cast pistons can only handle so many pounds of boost. (I think, about 8)

I've been around these cars long enough to remember when the 2000s came out. They were penalized at Viper Days racing because they were faster enough than the earlier cars to warrant it.

If memory serves, it was a steel gray 2000 RT/10 at Englishtown Raceway Park that ran the fastest 1/4.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember its not that they aren't forged pistons in 00-02 (they are a form of forged piston, they are the hypereutectic sp? piston....fyi, Stock MK4 supra's have hypereutectic pistons and they can make about 1000whp with only 6)..

The bigger issue is the ring land gap between the top ring and the top of the piston. They decresed it in 00-02 for emissions reasons. Having less "stuff" there gives less room for error with detonation.

Tom

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps they don't. All that matters is that they make at least 450 at the flywheel. Perhaps 1996 ~ 1999 make more and are underrated at 450.

While absolutely not scientific, I ran many a dyno day and on average saw the earlier GENII's having 10 ~ 20 more RWHP then later years stock versus stock same dyno same day.
I have seen then same thing

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you really can't put a price on teasing sensitive creampuff owners about their "weak" cars...:D
That's been going on forever.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so im brand new to vipers and have been doing alot of research on them the past week. I discovered that 97 -99s have i think something called a 708 cam. It makes sense that the earlier rt's would have a less aggressive cam cause theyre less hp but i dont get why they call the cams in the 00-02s "cream puff cam". I mean if theyre making the same power how is the cam different? Also do the 96-99s really have like a choppier sound than the 00-02s? thanks

Yes. Creampuff's don't sound like this. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnecpPSaDiw

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were to put a Gen 2 708 cam in a stock Gen 1 would you need anything else, ie push rods, gen 2 injectors, or new lifters? Or would it be a direct swap?

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
decided on doing 1.7 harlend sharp roller rockers. I know this increases the lift of the cam alil so will it sound alittle more choppy?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harland Sharps are prone to failure (do a search). Spend a little more and get some T&D's or spend a lot more and get some Jesels. ;)

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harland Sharps are prone to failure (do a search). Spend a little more and get some T&D's or spend a lot more and get some Jesels. ;)
o man really?? i will do the search on em. . if thats the case ill go with the t&ds

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red snake btw is that the stock 708 cam in your car with rr's or a sc cam?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car in the video has stock 708 cam with T&D rockers. Otherwise stock motor (other than the Roe SC). :D

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car in the video has stock 708 cam with T&D rockers. Otherwise stock motor (other than the Roe SC). :D
haha very nice sounds great! . . i guess that answers my question if it sounds different with rockers. . .if you dont mind me asking what kinda #s are you making and whats your exhaust set up?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha very nice sounds great! . . i guess that answers my question if it sounds different with rockers. . .if you dont mind me asking what kinda #s are you making and whats your exhaust set up?

660 rwhp/710 rwtrq with Belanger headers,no cats and Corsa track exhaust.