Can Someone PLEASE Define "Slipping The Clutch"

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, let me first explain. I have been driving stick for years now and I know that makes it even worse but I have no idea what this term means. I am pretty sure I do it or have done it before but I do not know what it is called. I just get in the car and drive. :D Can someone please explain this term because I was reading a review for the Carrera GT and they were saying that you can not slip the clutch or you will burn it out since it is ceramic. PLEASE HELP!!!!

COPY OF THE PART FROM THE ARTICLE:

Harley Haywood, pro racer and Porsche dealer, likes to preflight first-time Carrera GT drivers with a cautionary tale about the clutch. Recently he drove a new GT cross-country to a customer, described how to engage the clutch and watched as the new owner promptly did it all wrong.

"You just burned up $8,000," Hurley commented conversationally.

Here's the technique: Do not slip it. Let's make that clear: Never slip the GT's ceramic clutch!

"Rather," says Mr. Haywood, "the release of the clutch and the pressing of the throttle have to be done in unison, and there's no slippage. It either grabs or it doesn't. In or out. That's a little alien to most people, but once you've mastered it, it's easy."

At $8 grand a lesson, mastery better come quickly.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Z06 clutches are notorious for glazing and sticking if slipped too much at the line..

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Slipping the clutch" is defined as slowly releasing the clutch pedal and then slowly giving it more throttle, as opposed to very quick clutch release and simultaneous throttle response. Very little slippage is needed for 6 puck ceramic clutches if you want them to last long. We don't have that stock on our Vipers.

I do have a 6 puck ceramic on my daily driver (Stealth) though, and slipping the clutch is not good. They should be treated as either on or off, and no in between.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Slipping the clutch" is defined as slowly releasing the clutch pedal and then slowly giving it more throttle, as opposed to very quick clutch release and simultaneous throttle response. Very little slippage is needed for 6 puck ceramic clutches if you want them to last long. We don't have that stock on our Vipers.
I do have a 6 puck ceramic on my daily driver (Stealth) though, and slipping the clutch is not good. They should be treated as either on or off, and no in between.

Just wanted to go off topic here and tell you we LOVE the Stealth!!!~!!! Was sorry to see that car had a short run...kinda like the Mitsubishi GT3000...all-wheel drive??? Even better...do you have all-wheel drive on your Stealth? :cool: GREAT car!! ~juli~

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to go off topic here and tell you we LOVE the Stealth!!!~!!! Was sorry to see that car had a short run...kinda like the Mitsubishi GT3000...all-wheel drive??? Even better...do you have all-wheel drive on your Stealth? :cool: GREAT car!! ~juli~

I had a 92' AWD TT 500HP (modded) and it was faster than my Viper. In fact, it was a high 11 sec car and could keep up with the SRT-10 (I raced one, dead even). I loved that thing but got in an accident. I still drive my 91' NA Stealth with 267k miles.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, let me first explain. I have been driving stick for years now and I know that makes it even worse but I have no idea what this term means. I am pretty sure I do it or have done it before but I do not know what it is called. I just get in the car and drive. :D Can someone please explain this term because I was reading a review for the Carrera GT and they were saying that you can not slip the clutch or you will burn it out since it is ceramic. PLEASE HELP!!!!
You do it all the time. Aren't you on your 2nd clutch? :smirk:

Slipping the clutch is a term for bad driving on the street and good driving on a drag strip where some slippage might be the difference between spinning the rear or grabbing asphalt.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 92' AWD TT 500HP (modded) and it was faster than my Viper. In fact, it was a high 11 sec car and could keep up with the SRT-10 (I raced one, dead even). I loved that thing but got in an accident. I still drive my 91' NA Stealth with 267k miles.

Totally AWESOME!!! Glad you still have a Stealth to enjoy, that's a lot of miles on your '91!!! Would've loved to have seen the '92...I have NO doubt it was faster than the Viper...glad you enjoyed that car, but sorry about the accident. ENJOY~~~~juli

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so basically you are burning the clutch a bit because you are giving the car gas while releasing the clutch slowly? Is slipping the clutch usually used in low torque cars since when you let off the clutch the car would stall? In the Vipers the torque allows us to just let go off the clutch which I would imagine they want you to do in the Carrera GT.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do it all the time. Aren't you on your 2nd clutch? :smirk:

Slipping the clutch is a term for bad driving on the street and good driving on a drag strip where some slippage might be the difference between spinning the rear or grabbing asphalt.

knock on wood, still on the first with 44000 miles. I go through brakes like crazy though, every 20k or so.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so basically you are burning the clutch a bit because you are giving the car gas while releasing the clutch slowly?
yes

Is slipping the clutch usually used in low torque cars since when you let off the clutch the car would stall?
Not necessarily.

A lot of drag racers slip the clutch because it allows them to modulate traction better.

Road racers don't need to slip the clutch and besides it decreases clutch life significantly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960