Can you drive your car places?

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I've had my GTS for about 4 months and I've already had somebody mess with it. I took it downtown a couple weeks ago to a concert and parked it in the parking lot where my wife works.

Today I filled up the gas tank and found a Holiday Inn ball point pen jammed in the gasoline filler neck. I was able to pull it out, but who knows what else might be in the tank now.

I don't worry about this crap when I park it at work, but is it really not possible to drive this car anywhere without people messing with it?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely a bunch of haters out there, it is just a car, but 1 that attracts haters as well as admirers.

there are times i won't drive my viper b/c of where it will be parked (i will park it at wally world, home depot, but not downtown)

the pen might have been used to siphon (not thru the pen of course) off your gas though :dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loaded .40 with me when I take it out and I never park it where I can't see from where I'll be. They haven't messed with it in this past year of ownership ;)

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably be getting a locking gas cap. The pen could have been used to hold the little flap open to insert a tube, but the car still got decent gas mileage for this last tank so I don't think they got much of anything if they did make an attempt.

I think I'll just have to be a little more careful where I park it in the future. It's sad that I can't park a $30,000 car in a parking lot without it getting messed with, when there are cars worth 2-3x as much nearby.

definitely a bunch of haters out there, it is just a car, but 1 that attracts haters as well as admirers.

there are times i won't drive my viper b/c of where it will be parked

the pen might have been used to siphon (not thru the pen of course) off your gas though :dunno:

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loaded .40 with me when I take it out and I never park it where I can't see from where I'll be. They haven't messed with it in this past year of ownership ;)

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't mind moving to Texas. Here in IL it's illegal to defend yourself or your property. I'll be down in the Austin area in 2 weeks and enjoy the fact that half the people down there will by carrying.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a locking gas cap. Well worth the money.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....when there are cars worth 2-3x as much nearby.

but they don't look 2-3 x more expensive. only viper-ers know the (low) cost of used vipers

and driving one is the best revenge :drive:

(my edc is a .380) :tx:

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never ever drive it anywhere where i have to leave it in a parking lot and not be able to see it

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm like that too, only drive it where I can see it b/c of the lowlifes out there. Really want to freak yourself out, search "vandalism" in the search feature and read to your hearts content :(

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I've had my GTS for about 4 months and I've already had somebody mess with it. I took it downtown a couple weeks ago to a concert and parked it in the parking lot where my wife works.

Today I filled up the gas tank and found a Holiday Inn ball point pen jammed in the gasoline filler neck. I was able to pull it out, but who knows what else might be in the tank now.

I don't worry about this crap when I park it at work, but is it really not possible to drive this car anywhere without people messing with it?

Very sorry to hear about this...guess I should have told you that you can't leave a Viper out in public in central Illinois. I don't drive mine to work or anywhere that it will be out of my sight for more than a few minutes. For some reason, there are a lot of haters here. Not sure why? I agree...there are many more expensive cars, trucks, SUV's around that you see everyday but people still think of the Viper as an exotic or something. I can feel them wish bad things upon me when I drive it....:dunno:

Nothing better than getting our group of 5-6 of them together and going for a cruise! Talk about stopping traffic! Much safer to travel as a pack. :)

BTW....+1 on the Texas comment! I really like it there! :usa:

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess from now on I'll only park the car on the north side. I agree with what other guys have said and never park it in a neighborhood. My other restriction is I won't take it to parking lots that also have shopping carts. I think the car is reasonably safe at work, but you can never be certain. I don't worry about it too much, as that's why I have comprehensive insurance.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive mine to work, but I'm in the military, so I guess it is different. I've driven it to walmart before, but I try to be aware of my surroundings when I get out of the car. 1 time there were 2 homeless guys coming towards my car, so I decided my shopping could hold off for another time.

It is fun to take to any type of auto store though, seems like every time I go to pick up some cleaning supplies there is someone taking pictures of my car while I'm checking out.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is fun to take to any type of auto store though, seems like every time I go to pick up some cleaning supplies there is someone taking pictures of my car while I'm checking out.

I was driving home from work a couple weeks ago and a guy in a BMW 5 series took out his phone and started taking pictures of the car. I was driving in the right lane, so I definitely wasn't trying to attract any attention.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Def have same problems... if I go with friends they park on either side of me. Haters!!!

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never left mine out of sight for longer than 5 minutes. I couldn't imagine leaving it out overnight somewhere on the street. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Too many jealous people out there who are more than willing to try and wreck your day.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went to the movies and lunch with it on sunday, just look for a nice parking spot in the front of a store and where other people can see it, there is NO point of owning a car if you can not drive it to point A to B, never park it in a secluded spot where the hater have cover to do something to your car (a public garage is a no no) if something happens then something happens....thats what insurance is for

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a locking gas cap. Well worth the money.

Locking gas cap? From where? The only one I found would not fit under the cap. Gotta get one!

I leave my GTS in gear, pull the hand brake, put the steering wheel lockbar on and engage the theft system. To date, I have not had any problems.
But use comon sense about where you go & park. How's there, time, etc.
Most people will just stand around and admire the roling artwork that is Viper. I came out of the grocery store one day to find some kid trying to take a photo. I asked him if he would like a photo of him in it. I let him sit in my Viper, got his photo and he quickly sent it off to all his friends via his Iphone.
So far, I don't mind the attention and happy to share the smiles this car brings.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8 years here but i dont park it in the hood either. i have insurance so i dont sweat it. its just a car.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never ever drive it anywhere where i have to leave it in a parking lot and not be able to see it
Exactly. Learned that the hard way. Took my wife to dinner once and came out just in time to see some ass KICK!! my car!! Yelled at him and he took off. No damage thank goodness.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went to the movies and lunch with it on sunday, just look for a nice parking spot in the front of a store and where other people can see it, there is NO point of owning a car if you can not drive it to point A to B, never park it in a secluded spot where the hater have cover to do something to your car (a public garage is a no no) if something happens then something happens....thats what insurance is for

Agree 100%!!!
I drive mine everywhere as long as the weather is nice. 99% of the time I park it and leave the top down. I have a built in radar and the display is custom moulded into the dash, so there's no way to reach in and grab it. I also make sure I don't keep anything worth taking in the car. If I have anything, it goes in the trunk. Granted, I'm armed 99% of the time, but I've never had to think about pulling it (hope I never do) and I've never had any issues with someone messing with the car.
Obviously, I wouldn't park it and leave it in the "hood", but why in the hell would be in that area in the first place?
It's a car. Be proud of it, enjoy it, but don't let worrying about it control your life!

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine almost everywhere. There's a Chipotle here with an entire parking lot of "compact car" spots I can barely get my Jeep Wrangler into... I don't eat there when I drive the Viper :)

I'm sorry to hear of your "vandalism" event. I HATE HATERS. I'm so sorry I've worked my A off for 15yrs out of college to finally buy my dream car... people **** sometimes.

Definitely get a locking gas cap. I got a good one from Autozone for $14. Works just fine.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone stuck gum on the hood of my car right between the stripes about 3 years ago the same month I bought the car. My car also got egged on the highway last spring late at night, and since I was blasting my music I apparently didn't hear it happen surprisingly. They damaged the paint on my rear quarter panel on drivers side. Not sure how thick it is into the paint, but the detailing place last year couldn't get it out. So I have to get that section repainted. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're about a foot away, but that's besides the point.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet martin stuck the gum there and the egg attack I bet was random and I'm sure others in normal cars got egged too, sorry to hear that happened though

QUOTE=costanZo;2966119]Someone stuck gum on the hood of my car right between the stripes about 3 years ago the same month I bought the car. My car also got egged on the highway last spring late at night, and since I was blasting my music I apparently didn't hear it happen surprisingly. They damaged the paint on my rear quarter panel on drivers side. Not sure how thick it is into the paint, but the detailing place last year couldn't get it out. So I have to get that section repainted. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're about a foot away, but that's besides the point.[/QUOTE]

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea lol, I was with Martin coming out of BostonVille in Lynnfield, his car was fine, but gum on mine! I was also leaving Martin's place when I got egged on the highway. He's bad news.

i bet martin stuck the gum there and the egg attack I bet was random and I'm sure others in normal cars got egged too, sorry to hear that happened though

Someone stuck gum on the hood of my car right between the stripes about 3 years ago the same month I bought the car. My car also got egged on the highway last spring late at night, and since I was blasting my music I apparently didn't hear it happen surprisingly. They damaged the paint on my rear quarter panel on drivers side. Not sure how thick it is into the paint, but the detailing place last year couldn't get it out. So I have to get that section repainted. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're about a foot away, but that's besides the point.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet hes a corvette mole placed in the VCA to reek havoc on us viper owners, its a good conspiracy theory :lmao:

Yea lol, I was with Martin coming out of BostonVille in Lynnfield, his car was fine, but gum on mine! I was also leaving Martin's place when I got egged on the highway. He's bad news.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did know that black C5 Vette Chris was driving on Saturday was Martin's Original car right? He bought that Corvette first and sold it to Chris before he bought his Viper.

i bet hes a corvette mole placed in the VCA to reek havoc on us viper owners, its a good conspiracy theory :lmao: