Canadian vipers produced?

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen the viper registry and the color/model year chart that has been posted a few times, but can someone tell me how many 1997 blue/white GTS's were Canada cars. Their speedos and odometers read in kilometers. The headlights stay on dimly during day driving and a few other small differences. I know it probably won't be worth any more than any other GTS, but I'd like to find out how many were made.

Thanks in advance

Dave

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Dave, under 50 Cdn spec Blue/White GTS were made, I think 47 off the top, I've got one of them. (96 was about the same numbers, approx 1000 Blue/White per year of which 50 ended up in Canada as Canadian spec)

The daytime headlight module is a simple plug in on the aluminum tower brace, unattractively screwed right into it.

Seatbelts as well as bumper specs are identical as US spec, GTS cars can enter Canada with only a gauge replacement (or sticker on dash indicating kph/mph deal).

Total Canadian spec cars sold per year never seemed to vary much off a 100 a year, pretty pathetic. Canadians are cheap to a fault, although my 97 GTS was a $100,000 right on the money, $115,000 with tax and our average wage is not much different than stateside, surely that factors in.

take care, hope this helps,

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan. Great info. Mine's a Canada car also. So I can kill the daytime headlights by unplugging the module? Will I throw a code at all?
Thanks

Dave

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a fuse for the daytime running lights. Follow the wire from the headlights to the power source, and you should see it. Running lights can be unhooked with no problem to the system at all. I unhook mine all the time. P.S., The only 2 things Cdn cars need are the running lights, and a $2 Child seat (yes, even in the Viper) safety restraint. I just imported my car a month ago, and the MPH speedo is fine as long as it shows KmPH on the inside ring(which almost all N.A. cars do these days).

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point Greg, there is a fuse to yank to kill the power to the DRL module although when my module on the brace went haywire even pulling the fuse did nothing stop the lights, they were on 24/7. Engine off, key out, fuse out everything, which made no sense whatsoever.

Interesting to note the DRL module is culled from the now defunct **** van, and for some reason the part is cheaper when ask for one on a full size van, hahaha.....

Greg, Windsor Detroit Customs told me okay on leaving the gauges in place for an import of a US spec car into Canada, only needing a sticker placed on the dash (which I would stick on very, very lightly, hint,hint) stating the import and mileage differences. Funny up at your end no sticker needed, sounds like our gov, that's for sure!!

Dave, so your car is Cdn spec then, what VIN?

I'm 300613, you earlier or later, I have forged rims, not cast.

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes Canadian spec. #300342.
So what exactly do I do to safely get rid of the daytime lights?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey choice,

personally I left mine running for safety reasons, it does help during the day, I'm not the kind of guy to run during the day with headlights on full tilt and fog lights blazing, the DRLs help out the visibility factor.

If you want to ditch them I would disconnect the snap in connector at the brace, twist tie down the now loose connection around the brace and yank the fuse for good measure as I am 100% that power worked around the fuse when mine blew up. I would say yank them both for safety.

take care, not far off my GTS about 275ish, at 8 a day!!

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few US cars and have never had to change speedo or put on sticker. If KmPH are on the dash, nothing is required as Greg mentioned. I have brought them back at Windsor and Sarnia (Sarnia much more competant - that might explain your answer Ryan). Regardless, who is ever going to check up on it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96