Can't keep serpentine belt on engine

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason my 2000 GTS keeps shreading belts. The Dodge dealer says all the pulleys appear to be working fine. I can't go but 10 miles and the new belt is split down the side and thrown off the engine. This is becoming quite expensive and I'm afraid to take the car anywhere.

Any ideas?

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same type of thing happen with my 2004 SRT10 Ram. Crank balancer bolt came loose and allowed the damper and pulley to slide forward.

Take a string and a straight edge and make sure all your pulleys are in line. I think they even make a fancy laser alignment tool now that's fairly cheap that accomplishes the same thing. In any case you can determine where the issue is pretty easily.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going through the same thing on my 97 GTS...just changed the tensioner hoping that is the problem. I will follow up.
Steve

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate the ideas and will share them with the service tech. Nothing is worse than having to worry about a vehicle breaking down constantly and not knowing how to fix it.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going through the same thing on my 97 GTS...just changed the tensioner hoping that is the problem. I will follow up.
Steve

My 2000 and your 97 are probably very similiar. Which of the pulleys did you replace? Was it a guess or did the pulley not run smooth?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tensioner spring gets worn and doesnt run strainght when torque is applied..

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also be sure to check any assessories that are run off the serpentine belt. Had the same issue on my GTS race car. Nothing worse that heading into banked turn at 150 mph and lose your power steering. Replaced all pullies and still would happen. The culprit was the water pump. Once the water pump was replaced, no issues since.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to get a more experienced tech. There are only three things that are somewhat unique to a Viper. Power Steering pulley cracks and breaks; power steering pump bracket breaks; Crank dampener bolt backs out. However, all of these things should be detectable by the tech, along with all of the other additional failure modes listed above.

To add to the list of generic issues:
If your AC compressor pump shaft was seized or about to seize, then when the AC clutch is energized, it would stop the AC pulley from turning and could throw the belt.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a call into chuck tator isnt a bad idea to get some ideas. and he gives vca discounts on parts if you need any

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the comments, I'm leaning toward a misaligned pulley somewhere. The belt did not break but it cut a very even piece about 3/8" wide. It's almost like someone took a razor blade and cut off part of the belt to be used on something else. This leads me to believe I don't have a frozen pulley because that condition would cause excessive heat and smoke. But rather something is not aligned under pressure. I'm going to mention to the service guy to check the crankshaft pulley first, then the power steering bracket, and if that does not work proceed to replace the tension pulley. The spring is probably weak since the car is 10 years old.

Once again you guys came up with suggestions I would never have known.

My dealer charged $140 to replace the first belt. That seems a bit steep to me.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update; the Dodge service tech rechecked the tension pulley with their special tool and it was exact to factory spec. However the crank bolt had backed out a little. The service guy tightened it and believe that was the problem. We'll see.