Can't resurface the Flywheel ? Why not ?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can\'t resurface the Flywheel ? Why not ?

I replaced my clutch (it didn't really need it- 33k) while I had my motor apart this winter. I resurfaced my stock Flywheel while I was at it. I know I didn't take more than .010" off of it. I only did it to clean up the surface. It still has the machined chamfer on all of the edges(outside-inside). It seems to work fine.

I just read in my service manual that you should not resurface the flywheel. It states that you should only lightly sand it and it(flywheel) must be replaced upon the need to do so.

Anybody know why?

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Can\'t resurface the Flywheel ? Why not ?

I asked this question before and never got a definitive answer.

Someone suggested that the disc surface is not intended to be perfectly flat but I can't imagine why.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey

I asked this question before and never got a definitive answer.

Someone suggested that the disc surface is not intended to be perfectly flat but I can't imagine why.

+1
If it's not flat, you lose the effectiveness of the clutch's clamping force.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't imagine why either. The motor is externally balanced so maybe the concern is that. I don't know.

Has anyone else resurfaced theirs?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are probably worried that you will take too much off and weaken it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I bought my 96' RT/10, the owner gave me all the paperwork he had on it. In the stack was a invoice from 2Fast Vipers located in NC where they replaced the clutch and resurfaced the flywheel. Going by the name of the shop, I'd assume they know how to work on Vipers, and if they resurfaced the flywheel, I cant see there being a problem with that. I've put about 1500 miles on the car since I bought it and have had no problems with the clutch or flywheel <knock on wood> so I dont see a problem with resurfacing one as long as you know what you are doing.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it is done correctly (a very lite resurfacing)....it can only be done one time, when it MUST be replaced.

Cudaman :usa:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it is done correctly (a very lite resurfacing)....it can only be done one time, when it MUST be replaced.

Cudaman :usa:

Correct, because there are NO adjustments with a hydraulic clutch system! The Slave Cylinder & Throw out bearing only moves X amount. The more you take off the flywheel, you'll end up with a clutch that WONT disengage and you wont know it until you put it all back together and try it! :mad:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck,
Couldn't a shim be fitted behind the bearing to make up the small amount taken off the wheel?

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another funny thing about replacing the clutch was when I replaced the throwout bearing. The clutch kit I bought was a factory LUK replacement. It came with plate,disc,and throwout bearing only. The manual stated the throwout bearing was part of the hydraulic clutch assy and it is not a serviceable unit. What ? It was easy to figure out how to remove the bearing and spring. I then had to sand the shaft a little in order for the new bearing to slide smooth and freely. It's Funny how the factory manual will state what is serviceable and what is not. Mostly not !

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The flywheel is shimmed to compensate for the amount removed by resurfacing. I am not aware of a vendor that supplies them for Vipers. A Viper racer like Roe probably knows where to get them.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can shim the TOB, no problemo. You can resurface the flywheel, no problemo.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The flywheel is shimmed to compensate for the amount removed by resurfacing. I am not aware of a vendor that supplies them for Vipers. A Viper racer like Roe probably knows where to get them.

I not sure about shimming the flywheel back? I would rather shim the slave cyl/T-O bearing assemble forward? There are limits to everything. "Just my 2 cents"

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, yeah.
I was saying shim the bearing, not the flywheel.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

See the Wizards comment, add that to the fact that you are working with approx .030 of travel and you can see the problem. This is the same issue if you slip the clutch too much, the heat expands the disc, therefore, making shifting difficult or impossible. That is why the problem does not show up till you put on the slicks.